Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   In My Traveller Universe (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   Hard Space Redux (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39331)

Hyphen August 28th, 2018 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BwapTED (Post 591690)
Can a computer cast spells?

Do you want it to be able to?

In the third novel of Piers Anthony's "Split Infinity" series, the android protagonist casts spells from a spell-book assembled by a computer.

So it depends; in your universe, is spellcasting like following a cooking recipe?

Golan2072 August 28th, 2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BwapTED (Post 591711)
Just wait till Virus attacks.

Mythos Virus!

Mythos SHODAN!

Golan2072 August 28th, 2018 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whipsnade (Post 591709)
You might want to check out Stross' The Laundry Files. Magic is a type of applied computation, so equations run on computers are orders of magnitude better than the classic "bell, book, and candle".

Thanks for the recommendation

Golan2072 August 28th, 2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wellis (Post 591713)
Would you say terminals & laptops here sort of look like this?:
A Day Made of Glass, Part 1: https://youtu.be/6Cf7IL_eZ38
A Day Made of Glass, Part 2: https://youtu.be/X-GXO_urMow

Do you think holographic interfaces are a thing or they wouldn't fit the overall look you think?

In addition, since the UN & Euro-American blocs are sort of rivals here, is the currency of known space different in each area of i fluence?

This video looks more or less like what I had in mind. Holographic displays are less of a thing in my vision of this setting.

One thing I'm thinking about is C3 - the Colonial Commerce Commission. This is a supra-national, supra-corporate body, managed by the three trading blocks and the "Big Four" corporations. Its mission is to mediate between the various bodies in ways which facilitate commerce. Its authorities are quite minimal and based on agreement between the companies, but it also offers and arbitration court.

For example, C3 regulations call for "starport neutrality" - any starport should serve any legitimate ship, for a payment, of course. This prevents corporate blockades and starport monopolies which would impede interstellar trade.

I think that the universal Credits would be a C3 creation - easy to use to allow inter-corporate trade.

Local currencies might exist as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BwapTED (Post 591723)
Indeed.
In some 'Mythos' stories, magic is arguably not 'magic' but Clarke's Law in effect.
It may involve bizarre math and alien geometry.

That suggest to me the possibility of computers either casting spells or at least assisting.

I was only halfway joking about Virus.

Killer AI driven nutty by Mythos corruption might fit Golan's setting.
Or maybe not.

Magic needs an organic component; thus, that killer AI would need biomechanical parts and/or an actual sorcerer wired into it to serve as its Mythos "symbiot".

Golan2072 August 28th, 2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hyphen (Post 591743)
Do you want it to be able to?

In the third novel of Piers Anthony's "Split Infinity" series, the android protagonist casts spells from a spell-book assembled by a computer.

So it depends; in your universe, is spellcasting like following a cooking recipe?

Magic represents the "true laws of the universe". I'm not sure a regular computer can grasp them well; an organic mind risks madness when trying to wrap itself around them...

wellis August 29th, 2018 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 591750)
Magic represents the "true laws of the universe". I'm not sure a regular computer can grasp them well; an organic mind risks madness when trying to wrap itself around them...

So would a computer spontaneously meltdown or something if you tried to record digital images of Cthonic script, like inscriotions for spells or grimoires, into it?

Also, would computer workstations in Hard Space be like lighter than their OTU counterparts? Like they're lighter or computers in general take up less space and tonnage compared to OTU designs?

Whipsnade August 29th, 2018 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golan2072 (Post 591750)
Magic represents the "true laws of the universe".

Again, it may not "fit" the concepts you want for the setting but in Stross' The Laundry Files computers make magic a "trivial" accomplishment. So trivial that the various national agencies tasked with combating, controlling, and cleaning up after "Lovecraftian incursions" keep a flinty eye on mathematicians, IT departments, and other researchers so they can hopefully prevent magical "mistakes" before they happen. Many of the people who unwittingly stumble across abilities like "computational demonlogy" or whose research reveals too much of the truth will find themselves unwillingly conscripted into those agencies.

The many entities in Stross' series are from other dimensions and certain equations run on computers can allow them to access our dimension. When you remember that jump drive is supposed to access other dimensions for FTL travel, the possibilities become clear.

Quote:

I'm not sure a regular computer can grasp them well; an organic mind risks madness when trying to wrap itself around them...
A computer doesn't "understand" math at yet can perform calculations.

Ulsyus August 29th, 2018 07:07 AM

There was some pretty interesting maths being thrown up on glass, white and black boards on this program last night.

If computers can crunch this stuff into spell-like effect, then everyone could be in trouble...

wbuthod August 29th, 2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 591806)
There was some pretty interesting maths being thrown up on glass, white and black boards on this program last night.

If computers can crunch this stuff into spell-like effect, then everyone could be in trouble...

And there you have summarized the existential crisis posited by Stross, facing all sophonts in this 'dimension'. And the more minds that are aware and think about it (DO NOT THINK ABOUT THE GREEN TRIANGLE), the weaker the veil between dimensions becomes.

Golan2072 August 29th, 2018 01:14 PM

The very attempt to decipher a Lovecraftian manuscript might act like a "computer virus", subverting the entire software "logic". This is very weird input to process.