Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Imperial Research Station (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=54)
-   -   Fiber Lasers and the Death of Reflec (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34935)

kilemall September 11th, 2015 11:32 AM

Fiber Lasers and the Death of Reflec
 
I'm sure many of you have been following fiber lasers and therefore implications for our little game.

Fascinating stuff, especially the lack of a need for a big exciter tube, the cooler running allowing for more 'shots' and being able to wrap the fiber up into different shapes then just a tube.

However, in reading this article-

http://www.nature.com/news/military-...t-real-1.17613

I read the killer paragraph- specifically that reflective armor does not work, that the laser hits dust particles, heats those up and burns through anyway.

Okay, perhaps they 'didn't design the reflec correctly', perhaps it's disinformation, but let's say it's true and reflec turns out to be a fantasy.

What does that do to our worlds if reflec is gone?

I can see battlefields turning into looking like a rock concert with lasers and aerosol 'fogs' firing off constantly.

Lasers end up looking pretty good next to the usual ACR/Gauss 'upgrades'.

Ablat ends up being less a 'frontier militia' item and more standard outside of CA/BD.

I have some other ideas about replacement armor, but let's see what you have to say.

atpollard September 11th, 2015 11:52 AM

Space Shuttle Ceramic tile Technology that spreads out the heat and quickly radiates it to the environment.

And there are other alternative technologies ... reactive chemical coatings that absorb energy and expand ... each hit makes the armor MORE resistant to thermal penetration.

However, isn't reflecting x-rays sort of a magic tech to begin with?
Why would that change?

samuelvss September 11th, 2015 04:06 PM

We're still at TL7. Reflec is TL10. Our ability to figure out how future technology will work is at best flawed.

If not being able to show or even understand a tech's feasibility 3 TL's before disproves it, then get rid of JDrives, fusion, and grav.

kilemall September 14th, 2015 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 516500)
We're still at TL7. Reflec is TL10. Our ability to figure out how future technology will work is at best flawed.

If not being able to show or even understand a tech's feasibility 3 TL's before disproves it, then get rid of JDrives, fusion, and grav.

Easy there cowboy, this is more a mental exercise about gameplay effects then 'we gotta terminate reflec rules'.

Really makes me think we might BE better off without reflec.

Among other things, if it DOES work, shouldn't our starships have the stuff slathered over to deflect starship lasers?

Reban September 14th, 2015 02:39 PM

Reflec as really shiny mirror armor that reflects laser light doesn't ring true.

But reflec as a very efficient type of Ablat might make more sense.

kilemall September 14th, 2015 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reban (Post 516685)
Reflec as really shiny mirror armor that reflects laser light doesn't ring true.

But reflec as a very efficient type of Ablat might make more sense.

Hmm, does reflec still work with TL13 Xray lasers?

flykiller September 14th, 2015 04:54 PM

Quote:

does reflec still work with TL13 Xray lasers?
sure. for about a millisecond.

samuelvss September 14th, 2015 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kilemall (Post 516675)
Easy there cowboy, this is more a mental exercise about gameplay effects then 'we gotta terminate reflec rules'.

Really makes me think we might BE better off without reflec.

Among other things, if it DOES work, shouldn't our starships have the stuff slathered over to deflect starship lasers?

The science of reflec makes no sense to me, but that puts it good company the the rest of the science fantasy of CT. The gameplay effects are lasers become more effective against anyone wearing reflec. Profound mental exercise.

I feel smarter already, Tex! :rofl:

samuelvss September 14th, 2015 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 516482)
However, isn't reflecting x-rays sort of a magic tech to begin with? Why would that change?

Just about anything reflects x-rays. Especially my aluminum foil hat. (Don't get ignorant and call it "tin!")

atpollard September 14th, 2015 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 516698)
Just about anything reflects x-rays. Especially my aluminum foil hat. (Don't get ignorant and call it "tin!")

I don't have an x-ray oven, but putting my aluminum foil hat in the microwave oven does not harmlessly reflect the waves and keep my hot dog safe from projected energy beams. ;)

The results tend to be BAD ... very very BAD.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.