Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Mongoose Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=122)
-   -   What settings would you like to see for Traveller? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=14305)

Echo October 27th, 2007 01:41 PM

What settings would you like to see for Traveller?

Well, the Imperium is where it will all begin, obviously, and we also know that Starship Troopers and the 2000AD settings are in the pipeline too.

But what else would you like to see done with the game?

For me, there are three settings that would get me excited:

Blue Planet - A brilliantly realised setting, based 'hard sci-fi' concepts and a massive attention to detail. Cyberpunky in tone and, politically speaking, a nice counter-point to Starship Troopers, I think. BP never quite made it as a stand-alone product - partially for it's complexity, partially because it didn't quite sell the system enough. Yet it would be a great licence for jaded (Imperium) Traveller fans to delve their brains into.

Battlefield Evolution - Mongoose doesn't even need a license for this one, as they already have it for their wargame. But surely, the Traveller rules as have been so far presented, would be ideal for a near future, gritty, modern militaristic game? Perhaps the rpg setting could focus more on covert/espionage stories, but above all, that'd be a setting I've been searching for for quite a while actually. Beyond D20 (and SpyCraft) we don't have many games around that can do this at the moment.

Dune - Well some people might think it's pie in the sky, but I can hope!

The other licenced setting I can think of, of 'Holy Grail' proportions, and which could utilise the Traveller rules would be Star Trek.

What settings do you want?

aramis October 27th, 2007 03:44 PM

Star Trek: unlikely, for the immediate future at least, since Decipher has a least two more years on their license. Which, despite the lack of product, is likely to be renewed if they get to renew the card games license.

Further, GURPS Prime Directive is a decent Classic-Trek-Era game, if you replace the word "Marine" with "Security" and ignore Mr. Cole's rants about Gene's lack of military experience. and the GPD license never expires.

Dune: Honestly, I'd rather see it with a points based system. And a more rules-light system than Trav tends to be. And Brian Herbert was involved in the development of the LUG one. Aside from LUG's flawed task system, it's a great set of rules.... and fleshed out the setting just a bit more.

Blue Planet: It didn't thrill me as a setting, and it was quirky and hard to read rules-wise. But it might do well under a mongoose touch.

My setting suggestions for a TSRD based game would all entail some major revamps in CGen.... and also available tech.

A Car Wars Knock-off simply because it was fun.
SLA Iundustries: a cyberpunkish industrial-hell world with a corporate government. TL is about 9, maybe 10, but different assumptions about tech.
Reichstar:a "what if the NaZi had won WWII"... it presumed the 3rd Reich nuked the US to get them out of the war. ABout Traveller TL10, set in 2300...

Ishmael October 27th, 2007 05:00 PM

O.G.R.E/GEV
Bolo
Co-Dominium
Demarest of Terra ( no brainer )

aramis October 27th, 2007 05:25 PM

Ogre/G.E.V: SJG's unlikely to cooperate... especially since GURPS: Ogre was released.

Trouble October 28th, 2007 12:06 AM

Space 1889

aramis October 28th, 2007 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trouble (Post 240002)
Space 1889

in print (but not production).

beeber October 28th, 2007 10:06 PM

alastair reynolds' "revelation space" stuff

doctor who, with the TARDISes as ancient-level tech

pendragonman October 29th, 2007 02:24 PM

Cattlecar Gal...

Ahh, Battlestar Galactica :)

Plankowner October 30th, 2007 11:28 AM

REALLY showing my age here, but does anyone else remember the parody...

Cattlestar Overactica?

Extra points if you know what show it appeared on and why that is important in October 2007...

Droyne668 October 30th, 2007 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankowner (Post 240173)
REALLY showing my age here, but does anyone else remember the parody...

Cattlestar Overactica?

Extra points if you know what show it appeared on and why that is important in October 2007...

Seems like it might have been in Mad Magazine. We don't get a lot of media of any sort in the Pocket Universe, so I could easily be mistaken.