Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   JJ Abrams Trek movies (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39336)

Blue Ghost August 18th, 2018 03:13 PM

JJ Abrams Trek movies

According to this video the Abrams' brand of Trek is on the wane due to politics.

Again, as per board rules, this link goes to a video that comments on the Abrams' Star Trek movies, and discusses a bunch of behind the scene details;

https://youtu.be/kOys0IusW2U

Personally, I think it's because the series has served whatever purpose it was supposed to, therefore pulling the plug on it.

What do you think?

mike wightman August 18th, 2018 03:28 PM

The last one bombed - that is the reason they pulled the plug. Which is a shame because I really liked it - best of the three of them in my opinion.

Blue Ghost August 19th, 2018 12:08 AM

According to the video there's a sharp difference in the marketing data between classic Trek fans and fans of Abrams' Trek.

Why do you think that is?

mike wightman August 19th, 2018 04:03 AM

Again just my opinion but the Abram's Trek films are action adventure in space - they were designed from the outset to be summer blockbuster franchise fodder.

Original series Star Trek is a very different beast, and still showing on TV digitally remastered in a way that has brought the episodes a timeless quality.

Ulsyus August 19th, 2018 11:50 AM

While not authoritative, the Wikipedia entry gives some basic information:

Cost was US$185m and revenue was US$343.5m, though that apparently meant that it lost US$50m, so that should have seen a sequel a as a wobbly proposition.

It rated at 85% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty good, but likely not good enough to offset a commercial loss.

Throw in Tarantino's pitch for a ST movie, and the studio may have decided to hitch their wagon to another horse for a while.

kilemall August 19th, 2018 12:16 PM

No loss for me if this branch of ST pitches into a Black Hole- the engineering room slapstick in the first film and the whole 'military Starfleet are eviler then Khan' trope in the second guaranteed I didn't give a damn about the third, another 'military is outdated' screed.

jcrocker August 19th, 2018 02:53 PM

I saw the first movie he did, the reboot, and there were too many "um, no" moments in it, so I didn't bother to see any others that he did.

So it wasn't politics at all, it was a case of 'too much stupid stuff'.

That and lens flares. A little bit of lens flare goes such a long way.

I gave him a chance, didn't like what he did with it, and stayed away after that. Guess enough people felt like staying away to resolve the issue.

Blue Ghost August 19th, 2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcrocker (Post 591314)
I saw the first movie he did, the reboot, and there were too many "um, no" moments in it, so I didn't bother to see any others that he did.

So it wasn't politics at all, it was a case of 'too much stupid stuff'.
*snip*

Yeah, I really didn't know who this movie was made for. For all of he fisticuffs and other action in the old show, it wasn't typically over the top. I really didn't understand these movies, and still don't. I don't get why you'd make films with all those "uh, no" moments. I am baffled by that, and in this sense I'm not surprised a fourth installment won't be coming.

Ulsyus August 20th, 2018 03:22 AM

Has anyone watched the series Discovery? I was away OS at the time without access to it, but read quite a few negative reviews and so just haven't had the appetite to give it a go.

Xerxeskingofking August 20th, 2018 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ulsyus (Post 591333)
Has anyone watched the series Discovery? I was away OS at the time without access to it, but read quite a few negative reviews and so just haven't had the appetite to give it a go.

form the few clips I have seen of it, it "feels" very Abrams-y, especially in the visual department, and I know a fair few people here took a instant dislike to the lead character due to feelings of Mary Sue-ism.