Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Traveller 5 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   T5 Sophont Review (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=32269)

DonM April 3rd, 2014 06:38 PM

T5 Sophont Review

1 Attachment(s)
Presenting the T5 Sophont Review, a part of the T5 Second Survey project.

This is a review of many Traveller materials (noted in the References page), including the numerous "Minor Race Lists" produced by various people over the years.

This draft is being posted here to generate commentary from fans on the details. Contents are copyright 2014-2015 Far Future Enterprises, with thanks to Roger Sanger for use of the DGP materials, and thanks to the many Traveller licenses, including Mongoose Publishing, Steve Jackson Games, Avenger Enterprises, QLI, Imperium Games, and of course GDW. Also a great thanks to the many fans who contributed both materials and effort to this.

Even the most obscure notes on some lists were kept, if just to note the non-canon status of the reference.

Updated 8/28 with the latest updates from T5SS.

Dagrill April 4th, 2014 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonM (Post 472815)
Presenting the T5 Sophont Review, a part of the T5 Second Survey project.
Ok, folks, rip it apart!

Hi Don,

I can't open this, what is a php file?

Regards

David

Drakon April 4th, 2014 08:58 AM

Try using Mozilla and save the file. For some reason IE does not like this type of file, and if you directly open it, it tries to open it in Adobe acrobat reader. As a zip file that does not work.

Garnfellow April 4th, 2014 10:57 AM

Inyx

GURPS Alien Races 2 doesn't specify a location for the Inyx homeworld, though at one point the text says something like it is found "two sectors rimward of Dark Nebula," which would suggest Banners sector rather than Ahriman (aka Eose'o).

Tjoneslo and I kicked around candidates for a specific world on the wiki, and Banners 2337 seemed the best fit from the available -- though non-canonical -- data. Would be cool to see our speculation locked in.

Alien Races 2 does specify the primary (G7 V) and the text gives standard GURPS data on the mainworld. My conversion of the UWP rendered it as A669918-E

aramis April 4th, 2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dagrill (Post 472856)
I can't open this, what is a php file?

Server-side code. what actually comes back should be a zip file.

DonM April 4th, 2014 11:32 AM

When I click on it, I get a zip file, which opens to an xlsx file.

Perhaps if I just posted the spreadsheet instead of being clever and putting it in a zip file?

DonM April 4th, 2014 11:34 AM

I've posted the spreadsheet directly. Try that...

taustin April 4th, 2014 12:43 PM

The download script is apparently setting a MIME type (as it should), with a suggested file name that IE11 is ignoring (and other browsers use). IE11 is using the name of the download script re-direct page, which is "download.php" instead. Which confuses Windows.

If you change the file name to end in ".xlsx" it opens just fine in Excel, so the file is downloading correctly, but IE11 gets the file name wrong.

It's a combination of (mostly) IE11 being stupid, and your download script not taking it in to account.

DonM April 4th, 2014 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garnfellow (Post 472875)
GURPS Alien Races 2 doesn't specify a location for the Inyx homeworld, though at one point the text says something like it is found "two sectors rimward of Dark Nebula," which would suggest Banners sector rather than Ahriman (aka Eose'o).

Tjoneslo and I kicked around candidates for a specific world on the wiki, and Banners 2337 seemed the best fit from the available -- though non-canonical -- data. Would be cool to see our speculation locked in.

Alien Races 2 does specify the primary (G7 V) and the text gives standard GURPS data on the mainworld. My conversion of the UWP rendered it as A669918-E

???

AR2, page 139: "The Inyx directly control Matrix (their homeworld) and some 17 systems in Ahriman sector (one sector Rimward of Iyiyukhtoi'/Banners), near the interface between the Solomani Confederation and the Aslan Hierate.

No, that doesn't exactly match the text you're seeing on page 140: "Matrix... is located on the edge of Hierate and Solomani space, two sectors Rimward of Dark Nebula."

Nathan Brazil April 4th, 2014 02:50 PM

Don, are you applying some standards with regards to the races listed?
For example are you applying the same standards used with travellermap.com, that being

OTU (T5SS sectors)
Unreviewed (part of OTU, but not reviewed)
Apocryphal (once licensed, but now not)
Unofficial (never licensed)

I ask because of focus. Better to address the aliens found within the OTU sectors first I would think. The race you just discussed in Banners sector is all well and good, but not so much if the sector has not been reviewed.