Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   Combat Ribbon (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=14321)

flykiller October 30th, 2007 12:36 AM

Combat Ribbon

The drop boat lurches as it hits the thin atmosphere and you almost throw up in your helmet. The rest of the squad is strapped into their points near the exit hatches, combat armor automatically camo-matching with the dull gray of the tuna-can's interior. Private Gar across from you is howling excitedly. "Read my mind? Read this! Gonna kill me some Zhos! Yeah!" The boat rolls almost to inversion and the cheap gravity compensators strain, alternately stretching and compressing your guts. The pilots have left the control deck hatch open and you can see past them out the partially shielded window, stars dimming, sky brightening, dull brown horizon rocking back and forth and looming up at ... flashes ... an A gun, rapid-fire plasma, you're being dropped onto an A gun position, whose brilliant idea was this? The Squad Leader yells out "Thirty seconds!" As if on cue the plasma bolts from the A gun stop crossing your field of view and simply loom larger. You cringe in your armor. The swearing pilots lurch the boat down again and the world outside spins crazily. A bolt punches through the thin vehicle armor and into the troop compartment, hitting Private Gavin. His breastplate flies off and burning pieces of him scatter all over the rest of you. You don't look, you're listening to the sound of the boat drives screeching with protest but still on-line hallelujah you're not going to crash yet. Radiation alarm, deal with it later, low air pressure alarm, everyone's faceplate drops and seals, the air supply counter starts up in your helmet: 6:00:00, 5:59:59, 5:59:58, Comms on-line you can hear everyone breathing and gasping as the boat slews hard. Something hits the hull, you see the port bulkhead flex in and warp the deck an engine goes off line oh God sideways flying sideways the cylindrical boat hits the dirt and rolls like a beer bottle before smashing to a stop upside down. Your jaw smacked the inside of your helmet but you're unstrapping and falling down into the overhead and wrenching your weapons from their mounts. Corporal Liigdu and Private Jones are kicking at the remaining functional sliding hatch, it pops open in a cloud of dust and dirt and through the comms the Squad Leader yells "Follow me!" He steps to the opening weapon firing and is promptly hit and down, left arm completely taken off, suit air spewing out into the low pressure atmosphere. Loose on the bent hull you see his armor shoulder piece, emblazoned with the Imperial Starburst, seal of the Emperor and insignia of the Third Grand Empire of the Stars.

-------

This ain't literature, or collaborative writing, or anything else delicate. Here we're gonna fire plasma rifles and throw grenades. So will the enemy. Casualty rates will be high. Slackers will die first. Suck it up.

These are the doings of Second Squad, First Platoon, Company 73 of the Imperial Marines, stationed aboard the Naval Starship Roxanne in the service of the Third Imperium. Well-trained, well-equipped, well-supported, the leadership and tactics are up to you. Rules-lite, lotta free-form. My storyline and your decisions are what will drive this, and how well it'll go or long it'll last is anyone's guess, but no matter what happens you should get a chance to blow up something or at least be blown up yourself. If that sounds like fun then sign in here.

Player character slots are:

(available) (Sgt) Squad Leader
(available) (Pvt) Heavy Weapon Operator
(available) (Pvt) Communications
(available) (Cpl) Team Leader
(available) (Pvt) Rifleman
(available) (Cpl) Team Leader
(available) (PO3) Medic
(available) (PO3) Damage Control Tech
(available) (PO3) Electronics Tech

Squad Leader - leads the squad. Directs actions of the Team Leaders, personally directs the Heavy Weapons Operator. Marine.

Heavy Weapons Operator - carries and operates the FGMP-14 or other weapon at the direction of the Squad Leader. Marine.

Communications - gofer. Handles all communications not personally dealt with by the Squad Leader, supports the Heavy Weapons Operator, acts as a messenger or rear guard as necessary, monitors sensors and communications for information of interest to the squad. Marine.

Team Leader - leads his team into direct combat at the direction of the Squad Leader. Marine.

Rifleman - engages in direct combat at the direction of his Team Leader. Marine.

Medic - provides emergency medical support as necessary. Navy.

Damage Control Tech - specializes in restoration of life support systems, restoration of hull integrity, access/egress, firefighting, and other methods of dealing with damaged starships. Navy.

Electronics Tech - specializes in computer operations and electronics restoration. Navy.

Marine characters are male only. Navy characters may be male or female.

ChalkLine October 30th, 2007 03:30 AM

Put me wherever you want me! :D

flykiller October 31st, 2007 10:38 AM

well if you're the only one that's interested you might get to be the admiral.

deadlock October 31st, 2007 02:33 PM

I'm interested in playing. When do you want characters?

Border Reiver October 31st, 2007 06:43 PM

Medic me up.

ChalkLine October 31st, 2007 11:00 PM

While it's Rules-Lite, is there any particular system you want CharGen done with?

flykiller November 1st, 2007 01:20 AM

Can do characters now if you like. They're all fairly young - privates in their first term, cpl's and PO3's in their second, the sergeant in his third - so no uber characters. No need for any secrets, you're all familiar with each other and each other's training, and in any case I'll expect everyone to play strictly in-character regardless of what the players know.

The heavy weapons operator will have FGMP-14 skill, and very likely Battle Dress skill though it isn't required. The sergeant will have leadership and/or tactics. The standard infantry weapon is the PGMP-15 but because of its miserable range and significant secondary effects lots of other weapons get used. The ACR with underslung aux weapon is very common. Up to you.

All will have vacc suits available. Marines will have combat armor available. Only the FGMP-14 operator will have Battle Dress available.

Feel free to speak up, I may or may not take the suggestion. Oh, and strictly humans only. IMTU humans in the spinward marches hate and despise vargr, and the aslan are far away.

-------

Character Stats

Roll 2d6 for Strength, Dexterity, Endurance, Intelligence, Education, Social Standing. Roll your own, I'll believe you.

Add four more points where you like. No score over 12.

-------

Character Skills

Pvt - three skill levels. Three level 1 skills or one level 2 skill and one level 1 skill.

Cpl - five skill levels. Two level 2 and one level 1, one level 2 and three level 1, or five level 1 skills.

PO3 - as Cpl, except a level 3 skill is permitted.

Sgt - seven skill levels. Up to one level 3 skill allowed, all other combinations of 2 and 1 allowed.

Pick skills according to your character's rank.

-------

Skills

Available to all:

vacc suit
zero-gravity movement/combat
weapon (specify)
vehicle (specify)
forward observer (training at calling in and directing strikes from distant support weapons)

Available to Marines:

battle dress
unarmed combat (including blade)
recon (more awareness than field craft)

Available to Navy:

medical
electronics
mechanics
communications
damage control
robotics

Available to Cpl and Sgt:

leadership
tactics

-------

Weapons

FGMP-14 (for when they absolutely, positively, gotta die)
PGMP-15 (adjustable pulse and rate-of-fire)
Gauss Rifle
(underslung)
Laser Rifle
ACR (.30 cal)
(underslung)
Shotgun (buckshot, slug, rocket-assisted armor-piercing, EMP, RAM grenade)
AMR (20mm bolt-action)
Underslung (laser, grenade launcher, RAM grenade launcher, EMP)
Grenades (frag, concussion, gas, EMP, sensor, thermobaric (very dangerous))

-------

atpollard November 1st, 2007 08:39 AM

Count me in.

I'll take a Rifleman (PVT).

Let's call him Sam "Birddog" Morgan
(Sam learned to shoot by hunting avians on his rural homeworld. Hunting dogs would flush out the game and Sam would pick them off. During Recon training, Sam once complained that he "didn't join the Marines to be nobody's birddog!" A sergeant adjusted his attitude and tagged him with the handle "Birddog". The name stuck.)

Str: 10
Dex: 12
End: 8
Int: 8
Edu: 6
Soc: 2

Skills: Combat Rifleman-2; Recon-1 [VaccSuit-1]

Equipment:
* Combat Armor
* To be determined.

flykiller November 1st, 2007 04:12 PM

Birddog looks good. Anyone else?

Overall equipment will be decided on a by-mission basis - what is available, what the commander says, what the sergeant decides, what each marine thinks he can get away with.

And yes, drugs are available. Gotta sign for 'em though, for what that's worth.

Jame November 1st, 2007 07:37 PM

Hmm, Cpl Shamur "ShaShi" Shisanin.

Rifleman-2 Battledress-1 Forward Observer-1 Leader-1.

I'd roll up attributes now but I have to get off the computer.