Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   imperial scout rescue service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40181)

flykiller September 11th, 2019 09:20 PM

Quote:

Pilot-2 at specialty-A/general
? that would be either pilot 2*(A) or pilot 2*(general).

Shadow Shack September 11th, 2019 09:24 PM

Okay, I wasn't sure about how that mechanic worked. I'll take Pilot-2*(A)

flykiller September 11th, 2019 09:35 PM

Quote:

2*A
updated on the second page.

Quote:

Good opening “In Character” ... thumbs up.
didn't notice this before, thanks. the opening's always a risk though, speaking for the characters sometimes goes against what they decide ....

vegas September 11th, 2019 11:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 606493)
Nyco smiles back, and responds to Ishi with "I don't know, she looks like she's lost that lovin' feelin'..." He nods to the hottie and leans back to Ishi, "Yeah, I don't know if it's the blood loss or what...but I'm suffering from the grumbling guts too. Let's find a spacer's dive and grab something unhealthy."

*blink*

:oo:

:xh:

not what I was expecting.

Shadow Shack September 11th, 2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 606500)
not what I was expecting.

Hot-shot pilot and junior member, he's supposed to be unpredictable. ;)

vegas September 11th, 2019 11:52 PM

Well, played. Ishi appreciates it. He is far more at ease as your eating buddy than your wingman.

vegas September 14th, 2019 12:25 PM

Guys,

as may be apparent to Fly, I was metagaming a bit in my post last night with
Quote:

"Specialty unit? Oh, you are really giving away that you're a noob on Equus. I'm not sure that would go over well. And I doubt we'd ever find the guy. I like our chances better at the morgue. But I can take a look."

Ishi thinks about how he might track the gunshot victim down and commences a search.
Since I played a different PC in Fly's last game set on Equus, I think I know what the "specialty unit" is/does. I posted assuming Ishi - an interminable hacker/snooper - does too as he would have sniffed that out and tried to hack it in his time with the ISRS, especially with his interactions with critically injured spaces in his duty and with the relative safety of an Imperial base and official Imperial duty to hack from.

Slap my hand or otherwise correct me if you want, Fly.

flykiller September 14th, 2019 07:16 PM

no problem.

flykiller September 27th, 2019 03:27 PM

looks like episode 1 can be put to bed.

shall we move on to episode 2? with just vegas and Shadow Shack and a few npc's, or other pc's if anyone wishes to join?

vegas September 27th, 2019 03:39 PM

Ishi is ready!

Shadow Shack September 27th, 2019 08:46 PM

Let's kick the tires and light the fires.

Shadow Shack September 30th, 2019 05:48 AM

Will Part-2 take place in the same thread or a new thread?

flykiller October 4th, 2019 10:49 PM

having computer problems, think I'm back on-line again, starting up soon.

new thread. no-one has asked to join so there'll be an npc or two.

Shadow Shack October 5th, 2019 02:13 PM

Looking forward to it. :cool:

flykiller October 8th, 2019 03:30 PM

vegas, you in?

vegas October 8th, 2019 03:50 PM

I'm in. Busy week. I'll post tonight. Both games.

EDIT: obviously didn't post last night. Working too late. I'll try again at lunch.

Shadow Shack October 11th, 2019 12:53 PM

Space Badger has returned:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...448#post607448

vegas November 12th, 2019 07:44 PM

@both of you - sorry, I've been gone a few days. Busy. I'm almost recovered.

@shadows - whoa. where's my popcorn, cuz it's getting interesting on the gig

@fly - I'm confused as to what is safe and what is not on the ship. I am planning to reread the thread and try to figure it out, or ask more questions if I can't because I think after Ishi's fly over he should have a better idea than I do right now...

Shadow Shack November 13th, 2019 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 608452)
whoa. where's my popcorn, cuz it's getting interesting on the gig

Yep, Nyco has stomached about all the posturing and preening that he can. When the guy takes pleasure at the demise of survivors more than once, it's on... ;)

flykiller November 13th, 2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

@fly - I'm confused as to what is safe and what is not on the ship.
? right now what you've seen is that there is a great deal of smoke emmitting from the after half of the ship and filling the cabin spaces above the main deck, presumably from a fire below. the ship's wheel is unmanned and the ship is now underway aimlessly, largely travelling in a circle. at the last post the ship is now athwart the sea breeze so the bow is now clearing of smoke and the aft is now becoming smokey.

vegas November 13th, 2019 05:59 PM

OK, that makes sense. The ship is circling and that moves the smoke around. I wasn't following that.

One more (set of) question(s):

Ishi saw on his fly over,
1) pax on bow deck lounge start yelling through their coughing for help, and
2) a main deck lounge somewhat isolated from the smoke and he can see at least several people in there.

Ishi was told on the comms by the Akron that there is
3) "half of pax trapped by smoke in pax commons"

Are the pax in 1) and 3) the same or different?
Are the pax in 1) in danger or are they OK now that the smoke has shifted?

flykiller November 14th, 2019 07:45 PM

Quote:

Are the pax in 1) and 3) the same or different?
different.

Quote:

are the pax in 1) in danger or are they OK now that the smoke has shifted?
they're out of your visual range from the aft quarter.

vegas November 16th, 2019 03:26 PM

@fly - quick google searches leave me unsure if water is appropriate to fight a fuel fire on a ship. Certainly it seems its not the preferred method.

What does Ishi know about how to fight a gas fire at sea?

PS - I am hoping the more powerful radio and better antenna on the gig will let Nyco coordinate comms from there. Is that a reasonable hope?

flykiller November 25th, 2019 09:29 PM

gentlemen the holidays are kicking my butt, I'll post when I can but can't be too often.

vegas just noticed your post here (my coti account seems to have "issues" ...)

Quote:

What does Ishi know about how to fight a gas fire at sea?
pretty much nuthin'. stand by for some ojt.

Quote:

I am hoping the more powerful radio and better antenna on the gig will let Nyco coordinate comms from there. Is that a reasonable hope?
the hope is reasonable, sure.

flykiller December 20th, 2019 08:18 PM

gentlemen during christmas/newYear's I'll check occasionally and respond to any posts that you make, but l expect things will get intermittent. no problem.

vegas January 15th, 2020 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 609896)
..."the kid" ...ducks underneath the deckplates.

I'm not sure I understand the scene.

Is there a crawl space underneath the flooring, like a raised floor in an IT room? Or has he gone down to a lower deck?

If the former, can he be seen from above? Can he be shot at?

flykiller January 18th, 2020 10:47 PM

hopefully I answered this sufficiently in-game. if I'm not clear don't hesitate to ask, I spent some years shipboard and so tend to assume certain words and descriptions are clear when they might not be.

and sorry for the four day delay, daughter come to visit.

vegas February 9th, 2020 10:29 PM

Kibitzing and brainstorming...

Ishi is frustrated (not vegas, for the avoidance of doubt) that he is pretty useless on this mission. He can't shoot straight so he couldn't stop the bad guy, he's got no engineering skills so he can't help much with the damage, and this low-tech tub has no electronics/computers that he could work with. He hasn't even found but 1 crewman (who now he has lost) so he can't even find his way around the ship.

Vegas (and therefore, Ishi) doesn't have any good ideas of what to do next. Going after the bad guy seems a minimally productive choice at the moment, but fight the fire is useless, and I've got nothing else to go on now. (I'd go sync up with Rampule, but *metagaming* he's no longer where Ishi left him so that would also be a waste. Got any better ideas @shadow shack?

@fly, I re-read the thread and have some questions. The kid went under the deck plates and moved in an unspecified direction. Ishi followed a took one last shot at him so Ishi knows.
What direction was the kid headed below deck?
Can Ishi move in the same direction on the deck he is on?
If not, can Ishi go up a deck, move in the proper direction, and then drop down?
Does Ishi have any way of getting a map of the ship? He'd like to find the infirmary: does anything point the way?

flykiller February 9th, 2020 10:47 PM

Quote:

What direction was the kid headed below deck?
starboard aft.

Quote:

Can Ishi move in the same direction on the deck is his at?
yes, just step along the deckplates over the bilge - well, slosh along at this point anyway ....

Quote:

He'd like to find the infirmary: does anything point the way?
most vessels will have an infirmary at the passenger levels, off to one side. so up.

Shadow Shack February 10th, 2020 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 610351)
Got any better ideas @shadow shack?

Nyco (and as you said, the character/not the player) is feeling like a fifth wheel as well. I'm actually digging the fact that while he is "useless" that he needs to find a way to be "useful". He has theories but can't prove them, he wants to be in the action but he's on the sidelines ferrying survivors, all the while chomping at the bit to be able to add something to the solution.

Great game so far!

Shadow Shack February 20th, 2020 03:14 PM

How many passengers can the gig accommodate? I know there's two seats in the helm but how many in the back? Can it accommodate standing-room-only if there are no harsh maneuvers (and if so, how many)?

Nyco's concern is not being able to evacuate the ship's crew along with his own team.

vegas February 20th, 2020 11:20 PM

I figure the 3 ISRS on board can take care of ourselves with our grav belts and take 1 maybe 2 pax with us (fireman carry, piggyback, whatever.)

Shadow Shack February 22nd, 2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 610470)
How many passengers can the gig accommodate? I know there's two seats in the helm but how many in the back? Can it accommodate standing-room-only if there are no harsh maneuvers (and if so, how many)?

<bumping the question>

flykiller February 23rd, 2020 12:40 AM

if you pack 'em in, about 20.

it may occur to nyco that some of these guys may not care to be packed in.

vegas March 3rd, 2020 06:44 PM

Sorry I've gone quiet. Business trip. I'll get back by the end of the week

flykiller March 3rd, 2020 08:47 PM

no problem, appreciate the head's up, let's me pace something with Shadow Shack.

flykiller March 18th, 2020 10:06 PM

gentlemen due to the recent covid19 insanity my posts here may be infrequent.

(we've all been sent home with two days notice to "telework" with no prep, all the schools are closed with no prep, etc)

vegas March 31st, 2020 12:15 AM

For the avoidance of doubt: are Ishi, Panne and Jaxon rising above the water or are we (or any of us) unable to lift off?

Whom did Ishi ID as the "best dressed" pax, the man or woman he is carrying?

flykiller April 1st, 2020 12:36 AM

the grav harnesses are not robust, they're good for getting about in a gravity well but they're not high-load or high-speed or high-control or acrobatic. you can tell that even carrying one passenger you won't be able to get all the way out of the water. same for Jaxon and Panne.

you can't tell who is "best dressed", they're all wearing clothing you recognize as being way above your paygrade, some are wearing hologram-capable fabric and others are wearing projection-interactive fiber (takes on characteristics according to various external gamma wavelengths or sonic frequencies), but it's all inert at this point. it occurs to you that every last one of the women is wearing a full-length dress.

vegas April 1st, 2020 07:10 AM

For what is worth, Ishi did carry an unconscious crewman from below decks to topside earlier in the story, so maybe there is some wiggle room there.

Since we are about to get eaten, i'm trying to slow down time slices in my post, and once I know if we drop the pax, I'll decide what to do when I reach Panne.

PS - best dressed was my/Ishi's proxy for social standing in the absence of any other indicator, in case that wasn't apparent

flykiller April 1st, 2020 10:39 PM

Quote:

OOC --- Wow, a few days worth of posts and I never saw any notifications, not even in the "Today's Posts", "New Posts", and "My Subscriptions". This site got borked pretty hard.
I've noticed some reliability/response issues as well. we'll just have to wing it.

Shadow Shack April 2nd, 2020 06:59 PM

Yeah I was just surprised to see posts more than anything, having checked daily and seeing nothing updated. Yep, winging it for sure.

The galleries are still down as well.

vegas April 8th, 2020 06:03 PM

Two things:

First,

In my last post, Ishi stated "ISRS requires a census of all survivors: name, rank if crew, description."

While Ishi wants that, I probably don't. too much work and not enough fun to warrant it. I think what I want is to understand

1) how many crew and pax survived
2) who is the highest ranking crew that survived - may want to interview them
3) does any survivor match the composite description that Panne and Ishi put together.

Second,

I am taking us down this path of trying to interogate Lady Hi. I don't know how fun or feasible that is in a forum-based game. Could be very painfully slow. I am open to suggestion to cut it short or even not do it at all if investigating the fire on the Akron is not the direction to take this game.

All feedback appreciated.

flykiller April 8th, 2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Lady Hi
(laugh)

Quote:

While Ishi wants that, I probably don't
understood.

Quote:

interogate Lady Hi. I don't know how fun or feasible that is
your character has no skill at interrogation so I am prepared to go with what you yourself attempt without volunteering any evidence or observations or hints based on skill. you have a while yet before making port, so it's up to you, though for now I'll post a few points and leave it up to you and Shadow Shack on if and how to procede.

Quote:

if investigating the fire on the Akron is not the direction to take this game.
my style is I have ideas and I'll lead with them, but the game direction is up to you and Shadow Shack.

also, as to game direction, I was going to ask for feedback from you and Shadow Shack, but I'll ask for it now. good, bad, what you like, what you don't. also future game - quit, continue, more of the same, up the action? I've been thinking in terms of upping the action in case you two want that, some people like that some don't.

Shadow Shack April 9th, 2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 611526)
also, as to game direction, I was going to ask for feedback from you and Shadow Shack, but I'll ask for it now. good, bad, what you like, what you don't. also future game - quit, continue, more of the same, up the action? I've been thinking in terms of upping the action in case you two want that, some people like that some don't.

I'm digging it. The ground (or technically, water) based rescue was a fresh twist, I wasn't expecting atmo-duties so that was really cool.

Future stuff - I'd like an ISSS rescue for the next installment of the series. We've had two civilian rescues, let's help our "own" branch. Crashed/lost ship, malfunctioning ship, recently hulked by pirates, etc etc etc whatever it takes to help our fellow scouts. Added bonus being Nyco is chomping at the bit for another ship's mission patch to add to his collection of scout patches. :cool:

vegas April 10th, 2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 611527)
"... we have 76 passengers and no crew." The survey ship cuts in with "We have 8 passengers aboard, also no crew, copying a list to you Abyss."

Don't know if that is a narative oops or a genuine mystery, but both Ishi and Nyco interacted with deckhand Rampule. (Though Ishi doesn't know about Nyco doing so.) No matter, Ishi shall investigate...

Also, I don't know the "kid's" description, but Ishi does and you can see how I finesed that in my post.

As for the next rescue, more action or more puzzles are fine with me. I better add gun-1 if there is more action though! Either that or we need a red shirt added to our team!

Shadow Shack April 18th, 2020 02:41 AM

So I get the instability of the gig drive is rising (0.05 to 0.07 in game so far), at what point does it become an issue?

vegas April 29th, 2020 10:10 PM

First, my appologies. I thought I had posted this question OOC already and was waiting for a reply, but now I see I hadn't and I suspect you may have been waiting on me to post in-game. smh stupid me.

Now, here is my question:
Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 611948)
Jaxon is trying to get Lady Hi into a hazard suit locker. The Lady looks quite lost.

and
Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 611977)
"Help me ease her in here." Lady Hi's eyes are getting wider as she realizes she's being put in a box. "What ...?" She's starting to look like she may not be interested in any answer.

I, vegas, like the NPC Lady Hi, do not understand what Jaxon is up to. Ishi is a scout with Med-1; does he understand?

Why would we be moving the lady into the locker? Is it a room to change her into a hazard suit? Is she literally being put in a box?

I don't get it. Does Ishi think this is rational? Does he understand?

flykiller April 29th, 2020 10:48 PM

Quote:

Why would we be moving the lady into the locker?
the gig has no internal grav compensation, and jaxon can feel the gig becoming unstable, so rather than leave the patient in the corridor he's putting her in a smaller space to reduce her kinetic injuries should the situation deteriorate further.

Quote:

I suspect you may have been waiting on me to post in-game
yep. no problem, one of those glitches normal to pbp games.

flykiller May 13th, 2020 11:15 PM

sorry for the delay gentlemen, computer was a bit fritzy the other day.

on point this machine is a bit old and I can't replace it, and I have no other means of accessing this board until the local library re-opens, so if I suddenly fall off the board just wait a while and I'll probably be back on.