Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   imperial scout rescue service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40181)

vegas July 13th, 2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

describe the drone
I'll describe it and the kits.

For the drone, I'm imagining Blade Runner 2049:
It's not an RC vehicle, hence "robotic", but it's not a smart AI robot; tell it what to do and it does it, one task at a time.
Its got cameras, lights, sensors, speakers, radios - all short range.

electronics tools kit:
futuristic fiberoptic magnfication tool
hand multimeter/osciliscope
hand tools, soldering iron
wires, jumpers, solder

computer spares kit:
cables, jacks, SSD, FPGA (far future equivalent) modules
handcomputer
powerpack

disaster first aid kit:
bandages, tourniquet, skin sealant
filter masks, oxygen
gloves, shears, tape

SR go bag:
fiber videoscope, wide-spectrum
fiber light guide
handheld atmosphere component detection
flashlight
crowbar
drill, saw
duct tape
cord
2x 0.5L water
5 MRE
5 mylar sleeping bag & blankets

In all reality, Nyco should be carrying the SR go bag, not Ishi, but we need this kind of stuff so if he doesn't pack it, I will.

Hey Nyco, you reading this? Take the SR go bag.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 04:52 AM

I think we carry multiple SR go bags, and since we all have medic-1, everybody carries a first aid kit when we're on the job.

As team leader, engineer, and damage control guy, I think I'll have some input on those SR kits, too. After i take another good look at the TL12 tool set threads listed above. And a good skim through some Traveller equipment lists.

vegas July 13th, 2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

I think we carry multiple SR go bags,...I think I'll have some input on those SR kits, too
Oh sure, input away SB. I just think Ishi is carrying too much stuff since he is encumberred starting at 5 kg per CT RAW so he shouldn't be carrying one but he will if he must.

My thinking about the contents of the SR go bag:
1) want to be able to see things (scopes) and shine light (flashlight & guide) in an inaccessible space
2) want manual (crowbar) and futuristic (drill, saw) tools to force open doors or busted spaces
3) food, water, warmth for a few hours for 4 survivors plus a scout in case we shelter in place for a bit (that's mostly chrome and not too likely in space, but maybe we do SR terrestrially too.)

@Fly, you got a house rule about weight?

Quote:

and since we all have medic-1, everybody carries a first aid kit when we're on the job.
Yup, that is why I added a first aid kit to my load out. Jaxson better carry a full on trauma pack.

PS -

Ha! I see my "robotic drone" is a larger version (say, softball thru basketball size) of SB's "remote sensor" (1cm sphere) in his engineering tool kit. I imagine a remote sensor is for accessing inaccessible machine parts, while the robotic drone is for accessing inaccessible people and spaces.

I'll stick a couple of his little guys in my electronics tool kit.

Quote:

Remote Sensor - TL 12 - .1 kg - Cr200. These 1cm diameter spheres have spiderlike legs to let them crawl into tiny crevices and spaces hard to reach, and carry a variety of sensors to relay information to the work station, Hand Computer, or Work Goggles. These are not autonomous robots, but must be controlled from the Hand Computer or work station. These also carry LED lights, and extensible fiber optics to see or shine light into spaces that are too small for even the Remote Sensor to reach. (At higher TLs these Remote Sensors would probably be floaters, but I don't think TL 12 has gravitics that small.)
That is a VERY dense little sensor, SB, more than 10x solid lead. I think the weight should be negligible, less than 10g.

I think you probably always want a magnetic walker in space applications, because you are too likely to be without gravity or air, so legs are the best all-purpose mobility.

Shadow Shack July 13th, 2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604094)
Shadow Shack please specify ammo (thought to be) available to Nyco.

I have everything specced out in the gallery, let me know if anything isn't kosher for the game and I can adjust/modify/delete as needed:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...dex.php?n=2816

flykiller July 13th, 2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Fly, you got a house rule about weight?
absolutely. the players track the weight - if I'm tracking your weight I won't have time to run the game. just look over your equipment and add it up - "that's a pound, that's three pounds, that's two" - and see if it's reasonable. be aware I prefer "realism" so if glancing up and down at your equipment list it seems to me you're encumbered or outright overloaded then I'll adjust your movement, tasks, and other outcomes appropriately - and I may not tell you why.

oh, please note that some equipments would be in protective cases, making some of it quite bulky to carry if cased and quite vulnerable to impact damage if not cased.

(I recall one d&d player who said he had an entire wagon train following him around carrying all of his stores supplies and equipments, inexplicably including a red dragon's head. on the player finally making this clear to the dm he ruled that bandits attacked the train and carried off all of it.)

Quote:

robots, sensors
the smallest independently mobile system you'll have will be no smaller than a cat.

Quote:

tell it what to do and it does it, one task at a time.
(grin) interpretive compiler, eh? you'll have to be very careful about scope and definitions, and it may interpret your instructions very literally.

Quote:

in the gallery
seems acceptable, glancing over that it looks like about 55 lbs.

Shadow Shack July 13th, 2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604189)
seems acceptable, glancing over that it looks like about 55 lbs.

Pretty close to what I got once I broke it all down...with the overwhelming majority of it being the backpack/gear which is stowed in the cabin and not necessarily all carried at once unless he's between jobs etc as that represents his "worldly possessions". :cool:

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 604133)
[re Remote Sensors from the Ship's Engineer tool set:]

I'll stick a couple of his little guys in my electronics tool kit.

That is a VERY dense little sensor, SB, more than 10x solid lead. I think the weight should be negligible, less than 10g.

I think you probably always want a magnetic walker in space applications, because you are too likely to be without gravity or air, so legs are the best all-purpose mobility.

I think a few of them (given the small size) would be handy in any of the toolkits, as would a few of the smaller reach/grab/hold tools described by atpollard. Engineer's Goggles would also be universally useful for anybody doing maintenance/repair work, unless they have their own more specialized substitute (eye protection, PRIS, magnification, relay for remote sensors, HUD for any data you need while your hands are busy...).

Density, hmm. Agreed. That was just a PIOTAG; .01kg would be better, slightly less than lead, rounding the volume off to 1cc and assuming it is crammed full of future tech sensors, LED light, fiber optic extension to see into places even the 1cm ball won't fit, tiny little spider legs... Or yeah, negligible works fine for me, too.

I intentionally didn't specify the grips for this tiny spider legs. Maybe combination: magnetic, itty-bitty-nano-fractal hooks, gekko-grip, whatever.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 09:34 PM

I'm not a real Engineer or Damage Control guy, but I play a guy experienced and skilled at both, so would appreciate OOC suggestions along the way.

For example, it seems to me that our team needs several at least, maybe different sized, of future tech Jaws of Life for when you need to physically cut through something (or spread it apart) rather than cutting through with handy plasma torch such as used for metalworking.

Seems to me these are x-shaped w pivot in the middle, made out of strongest superduperhyperbonded stuff you've got for rigid non-bending strength, with sharp cutting edges that can pivot to be flat clamping/spreading edges. Obviously these don't operate off the strength of the user, and hydraulic can be real inconvenient w hoses etc, so I'm thinking magnetic where all you need is a power supply. Not at the cut/grab/spreader end, but at the other end of the X, where the hands would grip if this thing were muscle-powered. The magnetic system can either pull the "grip" ends together or repel them apart, in carefully controlled increments, depending on whether you want the working end to compress/grab/crush/cut or expand/spread/tear apart.

Sound useful? Suggestions, refinements?

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 10:04 PM

Another item of equipment, for whenever it is necessary to have a temporary passage from a pressurized to non-pressurized area (airlock failure, had to cut our way in, whatever):

PassWall (or PassLock, TempLock, somebody come up w better name!)
This item never actually contains or pumps any atmo, unlike a regular airlock. Its sole intended purpose is to allow someone in vaccsuit to pass from the pressurized area to the unpressurized area, or vice versa, with minimum wastage of atmo, where no functioning airlock is available. The PassWall is sealed across the opening. Someone in a vaccsuit unseals the envelope from their side and steps in, then seals it up behind them. Then the person unseals the other side of the envelope and steps out, resealing the envelope behind them. Kinda like an airlock, but without any Air in the lock.

Yeah, kinda slow to use. This is for the recovery/fixing stage post-immediate emergency, I think.

Maybe too clunky? Likely to snag equipment going through? Better off just framing up a temp airlock and pump air in and out when passing through?

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 10:34 PM

Important Qs for flykiller before I can make my next IC post:

1) Is most of our gear stowed on our boat/ship, or do we have it with us in base and need to load up all gear for each call-out?

2) Are we getting on a Boat to take us to a Ship to go Jump somewhere, or just operating insystem with a Boat? Or do we not know yet and are supposed to be prepared for either?

3) Do we have our own assigned Boat/Ship, or share w other teams and take luck of the draw for which one gets assigned to us?

flykiller July 13th, 2019 10:34 PM

Quote:

not necessarily all carried at once
very good.

Quote:

1cm ball
the smallest self-motivated robot system you'll have is no smalller than a cat.

Quote:

I'm not a real Engineer or Damage Control guy, but I play a guy experienced and skilled at both, so would appreciate OOC suggestions along the way.
exactly how I do it. actually most of the time I'll just say "you see or realize this or that" and leave it up to you how it's implemented. goes the other way too - run your character as you see fit and I'll try to work it all in. but if you start things like "I pull a fusion gun out of my back pocket" I'll have call a halt and roll things back.

Quote:

Jaws of Life
sure, in the locker. but I think hydraulic will be smaller and lighter than electric.

flykiller July 13th, 2019 10:52 PM

Quote:

Kinda like an airlock, but without any Air in the lock.
I'm ... not envisioning this. usually if a vessel is so damaged that something like this is needed then there's not much point in having an airlock at all. I suppose that a "bubble" airlock could be possible - step between the bubble and a hatch, weld/bolt/otherwiseAttach the bubble to the hatch rim, then open the hatch. but that's a one-way transit.

Quote:

Is most of our gear stowed on our boat
yes.

Quote:

Are we getting on a Boat to take us to a Ship to go Jump somewhere, or just operating insystem with a Boat?
in-system.

Quote:

Do we have our own assigned Boat/Ship, or share w other teams and take luck of the draw for which one gets assigned to us?
in theory any boat is available for any team, in practice you'll usually be with one boat and pilot crew for a while. but not always.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604213)
[1cm sphere]
the smallest self-motivated robot system you'll have is no smalller than a cat.

As noted in description, these aren't robots, they are remote sensors that you control from a datapad or computer or something.
Quote:

sure, in the locker. but I think hydraulic will be smaller and lighter than electric.
That "smaller" hydraulic doesn't end with what you hold in your hands; the hydraulic hoses have to go to a pump somewhere. Pump needs power supply. Hoses are a pain to get tangled, and fluid would be a real mess in vacuum (it's a real mess at 1 atmo if something leaks under pressure!). Seems like magnetic/electric reduces a lot of mess between the power supply and the working tool.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604215)
in theory any boat is available for any team, in practice you'll usually be with one boat and pilot crew for a while. but not always.

So any PERSONAL stuff goes on and off the boat with us, and when we get on the boat we CHECK the onboard gear in case somebody else used/broke something and neglected to replace it. We check BEFORE leaving dock. No matter how urgent, it is useless to make a timely arrival lacking necessary gear.

flykiller July 13th, 2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

these aren't robots, they are remote sensors that you control from a datapad or computer or something.
(reads description) it's a bot with a remote brain. heh, reminds me of that bug in Fifth Element. *wham* "aaaaagh!" dunno - legs, comms, extensible sensors, a power pack to run all that, and all in 1cm - seems like a lot. tell you what, it has three possible factors, capability, speed, and endurance - pick two.

Quote:

We check BEFORE leaving dock.
I'll write to speed things along, but I'm not allah, if anyone wants to insert other actions on their part then go ahead.

SpaceBadger July 14th, 2019 02:45 AM

Ruh-roh. The Agzlu deckplan is giving me the same problem I had w the Maus before you fixed it.

SpaceBadger July 14th, 2019 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 604237)
I assumed Nyco was piloting and Ank (Pilot-0) was in the co-pilot seat. If I assumed wrong then Nyco is in back with the rest of the team, awaiting docking procedures.

Your first sentence is actually what I would assume to be our procedure.

However, since I was asking about something written by flykiller as GM, it was really him that I was asking about it. One thing that threw me was that he included dialogue for the pilots; while I have occasionally had a GM tell me what my PC was doing, I've never had one put words in my PC's mouth. Hence my feeling maybe they were NPCs.

So, flykiller, exactly who all is onboard Boat Six? Is Nyco piloting, or these unnamed Port and Starboard NPC pilots? And if Nyco is piloting, which chair does he sit in, and whose job is it to sit up front with him in the other chair?

flykiller July 14th, 2019 05:12 PM

Quote:

The Agzlu deckplan is giving me the same problem
ok, will upload another copy tonight.

Quote:

exactly who all is onboard Boat Six?
your four player characters plus two pilots, Scout James Earl Jones (port seat, lead pilot, kind of a formal guy) and Scout Fritz Hoerster (starboard seat, second pilot, fond of gallows humor).

ManOfGrey July 14th, 2019 10:29 PM

What if there's a "biologic?"

Flykiller, just to clue you into my suspicions... I am beginning to believe there may be some sort of "contamination" that incapacitated the crew of this incoming ship while they were in Jump Space. Whether that "contamination" is bacterial, viral, or fauna bigger than a breadbox, remains to be seen.

Is there a weapons' locker on this boat?

flykiller July 14th, 2019 11:17 PM

Quote:

I am beginning to believe there may be some sort of "contamination" that incapacitated the crew
you sound like somebody that plays rpg's ....

Quote:

not officially ....

SpaceBadger July 15th, 2019 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604287)
Quote:

not officially ....

Well, of course not, it's called the armory (although for its size, locker is really a better description). But a rescue team going into unknown situations a long way from backup aren't going to do so unarmed.

I asked the other day about standard Scout weapons but I don't think you answered. For a Boat like this, I think two shotguns (pump, to function w non-standard rounds that might not cycle autoloader) and four snub revolvers. Shotgun ammo includes 00 buckshot in both lead and rubber (less-lethal), beanbags, tranq, HEAP, all clearly marked to avoid confusion. Snub ammo is low-V ball, rubber, tranq, HEAP, in speedloaders, all clearly marked. Standard load for unknown situation is 3 tranq, 3 low-V. That means you have to fire 3 tranq before you get to a bullet, or else manually advance the cylinder. The cylinder is clearly marked half/half to assist in keeping track of which ammo type is under the hammer; also helps keep track of running low on ammo. (HEAP could instead be laser-hotshots like you had in your Rescue Mission story?)

Sound ok?

SpaceBadger July 15th, 2019 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604268)
[Agzlu deckplan]
ok, will upload another copy tonight.

Got it, thanks!

vegas July 15th, 2019 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 604302)
four snub revolvers.

FYI there are (at least) 2 different snub revolvers.
CT:B4 has the TL8 6 shooter;
MT:TD#17 adds a TL11 8 shooter.

I'm assuming Ishi is carrying the TL11 version and load as per above until told otherwise.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 604302)
Shotgun ammo includes... rubber (less-lethal), beanbags,... Snub ammo is low-V ball, rubber

I don't know of any rules for these ammo types. Can you point me at them? I'm curious to learn.

Also, your ammo list is missing gas (CT:B4) which comes in various flavors (MT:PH).

@Fly

1 or 2 more rules questions:

CT says "The weight of personal armor and clothing is assumed to be part of the character's clothing load and is not affected by the weight rule." Ergo, I'm not concerning myself with Hazard Suit weight.
1) How about the Grav belt; is it also covered by the "clothing load" ?

If grav belt is not part of the "clothing load", you wrote above it only works in a "gravity well".
2) Does the grave belt work in the artificial grav environment of Traveller space ships?

vegas July 15th, 2019 04:33 PM

Quote:

Ishi also runs some numbers:
2 hours to intercept at 5G means the boat will travel 648K km.
Equus 8K km in diameter, so that is 81D away.
Given the inbound ship would have arrived at 100D, it is closing at around 10D or 80K km per hour, and the team will have about 8 hours to resolve the emergency before nearing Equus atmosphere.
Obviously I simplified the intercept calculation quite a bit in the above. Just let us know the actual mission parameters, Fly. Thanks.

flykiller July 15th, 2019 05:35 PM

Quote:

Sound ok?
ok.

Quote:

1) How about the Grav belt; is it also covered by the "clothing load"
when on, it's "weightless". please note however it will still have mass and intertia.

Quote:

2) Does the grave belt work in the artificial grav environment of Traveller space ships?
yes.

(heh. "grave belt". gives me an idea ....)

Quote:

Just let us know the actual mission parameters, Fly.
I didn't do the math. "two hours from launch" and wing it.

vegas July 15th, 2019 06:53 PM

Pretty good for just winging it. This is the bottom line question: how long do we have until we hit the atmosphere?

Shadow Shack July 15th, 2019 09:31 PM

How does one "roll 2d6 on the board"? I presume there's some code I'm not hip and privy to...

vegas July 15th, 2019 09:46 PM

You type:

{roll}2d6{/roll}

But you use [] instead of {}

EDIT:
You can see all the roll features in the CotI FAQ. Just follow this link and search for "roll" and you will see them.
http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Dis...cotitipstricks

And by "search" I mean use your webbrowser's "search" or "find" function. CotI search function is... woeful.

flykiller July 15th, 2019 10:51 PM

Quote:

how long do we have until we hit the atmosphere?
'bout an hour. say.

Quote:

some code I'm not hip and privy to...
at the bottom left hand corner of each forum page is a box labled posting rules. click on bb code and it will put up the entire list of features.

ManOfGrey July 15th, 2019 11:00 PM

Concern for the crew. Both of them, actually.

While everyone is chatting, Jaxson will pull an ePad from a charging station, and using Computer-1, will start to review a couple of things.

Frankly, he's really starting to buy into his line about a contagion. Particularly a virus of some sort. What else would incapacitate the entire crew so that no one could respond when hailed? Radiation, maybe. But since a Geiger counter can pick that up readily, he thinks that can be confirmed or ruled out easily once the ship gets close enough.

Detecting pathogens usually involves collecting samples, growing a culture, and see what emerges from that culture.

Check our crew's records, is everyone's inoculations up-to-date? In some Traveller supplements, Vilani are susceptible to pathogens since their immune system was compromised by 400,000 years of evolution on Vland, where the life there was incompatible with Terran physiology. There were no bacteria or viruses that could affect them, so their immune system atrophied.

Are any of the crew genetically Vilani, and would they have this susceptibility?

Also, my understanding of Physics 101 -- our hazard suits contain an atmosphere because the physical space between its seals is less that the width of O2 or N2. But smaller molecules, like H2, can squeeze between them. But we are talking about something that is only two atoms wide. This is comparison to a biological bacteria or virus, which would be made of billions of atoms. Is there any instance of a known pathogen able to compromise the seals of a hazard suit?

Also, when it comes to coming back aboard this boat from the other ship, do we have anything stronger than Clorox to denominate the hazard suits with before we take them off? Granted, bleach, an acid, is pretty good at this sort of thing. It's what they use in real life to decontaminate bio-hazard suits during ebola outbreaks.

Since someone mentioned this ship had visited Equus a few months ago, Jaxon would like to pull up those records. What was the head-count of the crew back then? And I was having a trouble interpreting the deck plans for the Agzlu you provided. There didn't seem to be much in the way of extra staterooms for passengers. But there are low-passage suspended animation chambers? How many?

flykiller July 15th, 2019 11:16 PM

Quote:

6 isn't too hot. Computer-2 help? INT 12 worth anything?
I'll let you know.

Quote:

Rolls again hopefully
actually for background possibilities I'll be doing all the rolls myself, saves time and typing and post-count. players can roll on the board for known or expected tasking.

my task system is thus: 2d6, 3+ to succeed at routine tasks, 6+ unusual, 9+ difficult, 12+ very difficult, and 15+ for extraordinary (as rated by me). relevant skill modifies by (2 x skill level) -1 (plus other negative modifiers for unskilled task attempts). relevant stats modify by -2 at 2-, -1 at 4-, +1 at 10+, +2 at 12+. formal training occasionally allows, at referee discretion, a second roll if the first fails. and that's pretty much it.

there will be two task sources. one source is what I think the task and skill entail for the character - I simply will inform you the player that something has happened or not as your character would know. the second source is what you the player say your character does - for example if you say "he checks his medical records" I might agree that that's a possibility and then roll for it (if you haven't board-rolled already).

Shadow Shack July 15th, 2019 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 604335)
You type:

{roll}2d6{/roll}

But you use [] instead of {}

[roll0]

{EDIT} Thanks!

flykiller July 15th, 2019 11:34 PM

Quote:

is everyone's inoculations up-to-date?
yep. well, at least that's what the medical bugs tell you, and it seems like it's true ....

Quote:

Vilani are susceptible to pathogens
yep, 50% die-off on contact with terrans. the situation now however is well in hand.

Quote:

Is there any instance of a known pathogen able to compromise the seals of a hazard suit?
some speculation in the sensationalist tabloids like Glisten Galactic News Service ("The Imperium is watching!"), but nothing official you've ever seen or heard about.

Quote:

to denominate the hazard suits with before we take them off?
isrs's primary task is regaining vector control. medical issues require other responses and other teams. if a major medical issue presents itself then after vector control is re-established a specialized medical response will be dispatched.

Quote:

Since someone mentioned this ship had visited Equus a few months ago, Jaxon would like to pull up those records. What was the head-count of the crew back then?
that's an in-game question, put it in the in-game thread.

Quote:

But there are low-passage suspended animation chambers? How many?
as many as they've decided to carry on this trip, anywhere from 0 to - dunno, 46?

SpaceBadger July 16th, 2019 02:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604322)
James and Fritz both look back together down the passageway at Ank, then at each other. Fritz hollers down the way, "YAS-SUH!", but then turns to James and asks, "'Scan'?" James replies, "Mark I eyeball", and Fritz yells back the passageway, "Commencin' scahn!"

Do we *really* have no detection on this boat, neither active nor passive?

How ever are we supposed to find unpowered Ships, Boats, etc in the vastness of Space with only our poor little old eyeballs?

SpaceBadger July 16th, 2019 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 604313)
FYI there are (at least) 2 different snub revolvers.
CT:B4 has the TL8 6 shooter;
MT:TD#17 adds a TL11 8 shooter.

I'm assuming Ishi is carrying the TL11 version and load as per above until told otherwise.

I don't know of any rules for these ammo types. Can you point me at them? I'm curious to learn.

Also, your ammo list is missing gas (CT:B4) which comes in various flavors (MT:PH).

What TL our snub revolvers are is up to flykiller. I thought he said we were using CT. OTOH lots of people add gear that isn't in any book at all because the lists aren't exhaustive, they're inspirational. If flykiller is leaving it by my description (as "ok" seems to imply), well I pretty clearly described the issue snubbies in the armory (and all their speedloaders) as 6-shot, not 8. You can do as you please w your PC's non-issue weapon, of course.

Beanbag and rubber bullets are less-lethal rounds doing normal damage, but they won't kill and all but 1d6 of the damage heals in one hour. Not in books but lots of folks use them.

Were you also asking about low-V? Just my label for the standard low velocity snubby bullet.

And yeah, I know what gas rounds are. I wasn't putting the kitchen sink in there, just what I'd consider reasonable for the job. If flykiller had specified, we'd use what he said. He didn't, so I said what I thought was reasonable and asked if OK. He said OK.

ManOfGrey July 16th, 2019 03:20 PM

In your Traveller universe...?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604342)
as many as they've decided to carry on this trip, anywhere from 0 to - dunno, 46?

Things may be different in your Traveller universe than in my philosophy, Horatio. ;)

I was my understanding low passage births were permanent installations on a starship, erected in place when the starship was built. But that may not be the case here. Can low passage suspended animation chambers be taken in and out of a starship like cargo, with people still inside? Is that why there may be a variable number of low passage births?

flykiller July 16th, 2019 04:18 PM

Quote:

Do we *really* have no detection on this boat
detectors, sure. simple radar, simple radio direction-finding, simple telescope systems. not to mention that the port authority supplies updated approach vectors. it's just a fast gig, not a naval covert surveillance platform. as for interior deckplan, you'll have to look in the bridge window or open the hatch and see.

Quote:

Can low passage suspended animation chambers be taken in and out of a starship like cargo, with people still inside? Is that why there may be a variable number of low passage births?
can be, yes. yes.

flykiller July 16th, 2019 04:19 PM

Quote:

For non-lethal I just hit 'em with the other end.
(laugh) kinda like this guy ....

flykiller July 16th, 2019 04:46 PM

Quote:

waits until Nyco and Ank leave the compartment.
well the rescue gig has the corridor between the lockers, and the bridge, and the airlock, and that's about it.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...ue_gig_01a.gif

ManOfGrey July 16th, 2019 05:16 PM

Am I being paranoid?

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604386)
But Ishi and Jaxon do notice something. When a ship transfers cargo the owner or a senior crewmember sign for the transfer. The "Back At 'Cha" has been to Equus three times in the last eighteen months and each time a different individual named as navigator has signed.

Could there be something going on that is killing these crew members? Is that paranoid?

Are death certificates circulated Imperium wide? Or at least sector wide? It's been eighteen months. That probably enough time for everyone's databases in the sector to be updated. Have any death certificates been issued for any of the navigators that signed for these cargo transfers in the last eighteen months?

And, if so, what was the cause of death?

flykiller July 16th, 2019 05:24 PM

Quote:

Are death certificates circulated Imperium wide?
eventually. in any case you have no ready access to that data base.

ManOfGrey July 17th, 2019 09:26 AM

Ces't la vie.

Jaxon shrugs, and notes the name of the last navigator to sign for the transfer, and the date. Three navigators in eighteen months is six months a navigator. Jaxon can't help but wonder if that last navigator is still aboard the Back at 'Cha, or is also long gone.

Scanning down his checklist, Jaxon looks for a couple of pieces of medical equipment he hopes are on board the boat. Understanding this boat is hardly an emergency room, he does hope it is equipped as good, or better than, an ambulance.

The first thing he looks for is, for a layman, essentially a portable x-ray machine. Although, it would probably function more like a sonogram. Anything that would let him see inside the human body.

He also looks for a device that could automatically perform a blood test to detect if someone might be stricken with a virus or pathogen, and try to identify it.

Lastly he looks for a small refrigerator that would be used to store biological samples in.

flykiller July 17th, 2019 09:31 PM

Quote:

Anything that would let him see inside the human body
yep.

Quote:

blood test
nope.

Quote:

small refrigerator
nope. think engineering recovery team with a medic, not ER. the scout service does run medical clinic versions of the erin-class, but right now you're just in a fast gig.

vegas July 17th, 2019 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604437)
Quote:

small refrigerator
nope.

Hey MoG, next time pack in a Yeti. And some ice.
:rofl:
;)

flykiller July 20th, 2019 04:06 PM

actually by "aft hatch" and "forward hatch" I meant the one bridge/corridor hatch. poor writing on my part, sorry. all external hatches appear to be shut normally.

SpaceBadger July 21st, 2019 12:55 PM

Sorry, guys. Seems you've managed ok without me for a bit, but this is just to let y'all know that it will likely be a while longer. flykiller, please just run Ank Buchannon as an NPC until I'm able to take charge of him again.

Y'all may know I'm disabled and have chronic pain - if curious, it's mostly in my blog - and that took a bad turn this past week. Part of it was continuing arthritic bone spurs in both shoulders - I've been through physical therapy, chiropractic, and acupuncture, am not a good candidate for surgery due to crap w my lungs, and the only thing that works a little bit is steroid injection into the shoulder joints. Unfortunately these are a "gets worse before it gets better" proposition; I had my injections on Thursday, and they're now at the top (I hope!) of the pain bell-curve and should be getting better over the next week.

SpaceBadger July 21st, 2019 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604384)
detectors, sure. simple radar, simple radio direction-finding, simple telescope systems. not to mention that the port authority supplies updated approach vectors. it's just a fast gig, not a naval covert surveillance platform. as for interior deckplan, you'll have to look in the bridge window or open the hatch and see.

We're a rescue vessel w priority stated repeatedly as restore vector control.

But we don't even have passive IR, densitometers, neutrino detectors - stuff that would be really useful in getting some picture of problems w drives and powerplant before going aboard?

Hell, our Engineering work goggles are better than that, they at least have PRIS. Maybe better have Ank (or somebody) put on their goggles and vacc suit to stick their head out the airlock for a look with those Mark I eyeballs, suitably enhanced by tech since we're not a bunch of Barbarians. :rolleyes:

What TL are we generally equipped at again? The gig instruments and avionics and such? Sounds like maybe TL 7, Apollo era. :nonono:

SpaceBadger July 21st, 2019 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Shack (Post 604433)
Nyco accepts the bag, "Sure, I got this." He peeks inside, recognizes the torch and responds "Do these jaws come with an operator manual? I've never used them before and can bone up during the approach."

(Nyco has Mechanical-1, but being a pilot he's probably never had to use them before. OTOH cutting torches are standard fare for a lot of work. :cool: )

Might want to check out atpollard's description of usage of this gear for repair work, in the Engineer Tools and Mechanical Tools threads that I linked previously. I believe flykiller approved those as "sounds ok" or something like that. Arthur did a really fantastic job of imagining and describing how the different tools can be used together for gross and precision repair work.

SpaceBadger July 21st, 2019 01:47 PM

Heh. I guess I can write a little bit. Just not sure how reliable I'm gonna be until pain levels (and therefore pain meds) ramp down a little. I sleep a LOT. I just hate not being able to carry out what I said I'd do, when it affects what other people are trying to do. :(

Shadow Shack July 21st, 2019 03:48 PM

Just keep on keeping on, SpaceBadger. Do what you need to do for yourself first and foremost, we'll be around in the meantime.