Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   simple game (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38653)

flykiller January 11th, 2018 09:09 PM

simple game

"me. ship. crew. main. profit motive. go."

was thinking of running an ordinary traveler pbp game. no grand mission, no grand setting, just a regular game. three players minimum. any interest?

khadaji2002 January 11th, 2018 11:42 PM

I'm interested! What rules were you thinking?

baktegon January 12th, 2018 02:43 PM

this sounds good to me too

mike wightman January 12th, 2018 02:50 PM

sign me up :)

flykiller January 12th, 2018 08:09 PM

(blink) ... ok.

Quote:

What rules were you thinking?
hadn't thought about it really, all I have is ct and don't know a thing about any other system. more than anything else I tend to wing it (see Repo Man), so I think more about the setting and location and possible scenarios rather than a ruleset.

was thinking of simple merchant starting in lanth/equus.

my thoughts and presumptions are not other peoples', so if there's something you are strongly expecting from or looking for in the game then now's the time to speak up so we can work it out. pm me if necessary.

pilot, navigator, engineer, gunner/deckhand - who's up? we can do an abbreviated chargen (I like to get past chargen and get to the game) or you can submit a character and I'll fit them in or I can outright supply one.

ovka January 13th, 2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 580391)
(blink) ... ok.

hadn't thought about it really, all I have is ct and don't know a thing about any other system. more than anything else I tend to wing it (see Repo Man), so I think more about the setting and location and possible scenarios rather than a ruleset.

was thinking of simple merchant starting in lanth/equus.

my thoughts and presumptions are not other peoples', so if there's something you are strongly expecting from or looking for in the game then now's the time to speak up so we can work it out. pm me if necessary.

pilot, navigator, engineer, gunner/deckhand - who's up? we can do an abbreviated chargen (I like to get past chargen and get to the game) or you can submit a character and I'll fit them in or I can outright supply one.

How frequent would posting be, and how detailed would you want posts to get (or not get, we wouldn't want to box you into a corner)? My preference would be to skip chargen and get right to the game. I usually play the "fill-in" character (as in nobody else wants to play, but the group needs ...). If I had to choose a character type, I like techies with high computer skill (think Sticky from AotI).

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

flykiller January 13th, 2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

How frequent would posting be
I try to let the game flow naturally than push it or delay it. depending on game action I will wait until all characters relevant to a given situation have had a chance to post. if only one player is failing to respond and things slow down too much then I'll advance the action. holidays, illnesses, etc also play a role.

Quote:

how detailed would you want posts to get
depends on the game action. we'd likely settle into a level that everyone finds acceptable.

some years ago I read, "you can always tell who the important npc's are in the town - they're the ones the referee has bothered to name". I try to avoid that.

Quote:

My preference would be to skip chargen and get right to the game.
can do. but many like to linger over chargen.

mike wightman January 14th, 2018 09:53 AM

Classic Traveller:
STR 9, DEX 8, END 6, INT 9, EDU 3 (oops), SOC 4

Hmm, little education and low soc... what does that suggest for homeworld and early years development...

Apply to merchants - success, survive easily, commission rolled exactly, no promotion.
Skills: Bribery-1, JoT-1, Navigation-1.
If I don't die we have a navigator :) Reenlistment easy.
Term 2 - survive easily, promoted to third officer thanks to Int
Skills: Vacc Suit-1, Medical-1
Reenlistment easy
Term 3 - survive easily, no promotion, reenlist easy
Skill: Streetwise-1
Term 4 - survive, promoted to 2nd officer, reenlist
Skills: JoT +1, JoT +1
Term 5 - make survival roll thanks to Int, no promotion, reenlist easy
Skill: Gunnery-1
Term 6 - survive easily, no promotion, reenlist exactly
Skill: Navigation +1
Term 7 - survive easily, promoted to first officer, no required reenlistment
Skills: Pilot-1, Streetwise +1

So after seven terms served skills so far are:
JoT-3, Streetwise-2, Navigation-2, Pilot-1, Vacc Suit-1, Gunnery-1, Medic-1, Bribery-1

mike wightman January 14th, 2018 09:56 AM

Aging rolls - Str drops by 1, Dex drops by 2, End drops by 3

Mustering out - Cr100,000, +2Int, 4xlow passage

So UPP: 8 6 3 B 3 4 Merchant 1st Officer, 7 terms
JoT-3, Streetwise-2, Navigation-2, Pilot-1, Vacc Suit-1, Gunnery-1, Medic-1, Bribery-1

flykiller January 14th, 2018 09:11 PM

well I have my own chargen methods, but if you're happy with this one I can fit it in.

mike wrightman
(character name)
863B34, age 46
soft vacc suit / 0G 1
pilot 1, navigation 2
streetwise 2, bribery 1
gunnery 1
medic 1
joat 3

hm, education and social standing go together. looks like this character served his career in "wing-and-a-prayer" cargo service. spent most of his career doing in-system jumps with "just get it there now we don't care how" cargo, and seems to know lots of back-street ways to get it sold/delivered/dumped/hidden. yeah you're a "first officer" but don't say it too loudly in civilized areas. imtu you won't be qualified to approach major ports - they're not likely to check, but if they notice there will be repurcussions - so drop gunnery and set navigation 2* (you've been to navigation school, discharge benefit) - this will get you qualified to jump into port areas and carry passengers. the crew still will need someone with pilot 2*.

in my task system joat 3 will do a lot but won't be nearly as strong as it is in ct.