Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Fleet (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   MGT Only: 600-ton frigate (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=35355)

Brandon C November 26th, 2015 12:04 PM

600-ton frigate
 
600-ton frigate

The frigate is intended to escort warships and perform military duties, unlike the corvette and corvette escort with mainly deal with piracy. The frigate is still not well-armed or -armored, but does have some punch with it's particle beam barbettes. It has a socket for one 30-ton module, allowing it to be customized slightly for specific missions.

The frigate has maneuver drive-M, jump drive-J and power plant-M, giving Jump-3 and 4G acceleration. 234 tons of fuel supports the power plant for 6 weeks and one Jump-3. Six fuel processors are installed. A Model 4/fib and Model 2/fib computers and very advanced electronics are located in the bridge. There are 18 staterooms and 3 emergency low berths, Two armouries and two briefing rooms are also provided. The ship has six hardpoints, with four triple beam laser turrets and two particle accelerator barbettes. Two 20-ton launches are carried for boarding actions and general duties. A modular socket for one 30-ton cutter module is installed. The ship is equipped with repair drones and 5 probe drones. Cargo capacity is 26 tons. The ship is streamlined, has stealth and has armor 4.

Crew consists of a commander, first officer, 3 pilots, navigator, medic, 3 engineers, 6 gunners, 4 small craft crew and 10 marines. The ship costs MCr 450.24 with small craft.

wbyrd November 26th, 2015 05:27 PM

if it serves as an inspection boarding vessel Might I suggest a purchase several bulk purchases of the following.

http://wbyrd.deviantart.com/art/Secu...-Pod-573754942

I OFFER FULL TECHNICAL SUPPORT,SPARES, AND A FREE CASE OF VARGR WHISKEY WITH EACH CONTRACT.

Brandon C November 27th, 2015 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbyrd (Post 523462)
if it serves as an inspection boarding vessel Might I suggest a purchase several bulk purchases of the following.

http://wbyrd.deviantart.com/art/Secu...-Pod-573754942

I OFFER FULL TECHNICAL SUPPORT,SPARES, AND A FREE CASE OF VARGR WHISKEY WITH EACH CONTRACT.

Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection ;)

wbyrd November 27th, 2015 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon C (Post 523546)
Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection ;)

Overkill is an artificial construct created by accounting, to limit the free exercise of your charge card. IN collusion with prosecuting attorneys to increase their own position.

I'll make the offer two cases of whiskey, delivered by my own personal assistant. She's got great legs....

sorry couldn't resist.

McPerth November 27th, 2015 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon C (Post 523546)
Kinda overkill to board another ship for an inspection ;)

I'd say better a show of force, that many times avoids this same force to be needed (but when it does...).

Patron Zero November 29th, 2015 08:04 AM

A show of force, or the impression of potential force, is always a nice thing.

".....we add this piece of pipe and the krauts think we've got a 90mm....."

Shadowrunner November 29th, 2015 02:55 PM

The Type T illustrations led me to believe boardings were routine...

wbyrd November 29th, 2015 03:11 PM

A good idea of how that works is the coast guard...If you linger in an area too long, or are a frequent presence in an area outside of normal traffic patterns you get boarded.

My brother-in-law was a skipper on a work boat. We had an odd route that took us through areas frequented by drug smugglers. and other les than savory types. It also had us loitering.

There are standard compliance inspections, to make sure everyone's papers are in order. And in areas where smuggling is a problem they will board and inspect for contraband. But mostly, they pick ships that are operating outside the Norm.

If you are a fairly routine traveler, and not in a system where there is trouble, or you haven't been tagged for routine inspection..( figure that's an annual event) You wont see much of an inspection ship other than watching it sail by giving you a casual once over.

aramis November 30th, 2015 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wbyrd (Post 523718)
A good idea of how that works is the coast guard...If you linger in an area too long, or are a frequent presence in an area outside of normal traffic patterns you get boarded.

My brother-in-law was a skipper on a work boat. We had an odd route that took us through areas frequented by drug smugglers. and other les than savory types. It also had us loitering.

There are standard compliance inspections, to make sure everyone's papers are in order. And in areas where smuggling is a problem they will board and inspect for contraband. But mostly, they pick ships that are operating outside the Norm.

If you are a fairly routine traveler, and not in a system where there is trouble, or you haven't been tagged for routine inspection..( figure that's an annual event) You wont see much of an inspection ship other than watching it sail by giving you a casual once over.

Small problem there - The USCG has (since 1920-something) had real-time communications with base on almost all cutters. So they CAN CHECK to see if you're a known/recurrent in the area, wanted elsewhere, etc.

Barring actual hard-schedule lines (which may be as low as 9 day cycles, or as high as 14 day cycles), nothing from out of system is known locally unless data was sent earlier. Which would likely go in the form of being along the mail route, anyway.

A lot should also depend upon the law level. If one treats the rules as procedural representations of the imposed setting...

Remembering the Reactions Table:
DieReaction
2Violent. Immediate attack.
3Hostile. Attack on 5+.
4Hostile. Attack on 8+.
5Hostile. May attack.
6Unreceptive.
7Non-committal.
8Interested.
9Intrigued.
10Responsive.
11Enthusiastic.
12Genuinely friendly.


And TTB has this on page 84:
Law level is also the general throw
to avoid harassment by police or other law enforcement agencies. For example,
on a world with law level 4, the throw to avoid arrest when encountering an
enforcement agent such as a customs official or policeman is 4+.
A more nuanced approach is on page 99 of TTB:
The referee should throw once per day for legal encounters (throw local law level or less to avoid an encounter).
If an encounter is called for, a local enforcer will stop the adventurers and require identification. The referee should roll for the enforcer's reaction as well, using adverse reactions as an indication of greater harassment, and positive reactions as a potential source of rumors, assistance, or patrons.
In which case, using CT 2E (TTB), each day there's 2d6≤LL chance of encounter with law. A Type T is the likely result.
This is vaguely likely to be in addition to the (expected) customs at docking/landing. And separate from the types T in space encounters. (who, when not pirate, might be private fast yachts, or off-to-maintenance system patrols, or even licensed privateers.

Note that Cops ALSO use the reactions table - but read "Attack" as "try to find and/or provoke a reason for arrest"; a 2 is likely "Arrest and plant evidence" if the players cannot modify/mollify them quickly... And ready willingness (as evidenced with Liaison) is likely to modify their reaction roll.

wbyrd November 30th, 2015 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 523762)
Small problem there - The USCG has (since 1920-something) had real-time communications with base on almost all cutters. So they CAN CHECK to see if you're a known/recurrent in the area, wanted elsewhere, etc.

Barring actual hard-schedule lines (which may be as low as 9 day cycles, or as high as 14 day cycles), nothing from out of system is known locally unless data was sent earlier. Which would likely go in the form of being along the mail route, anyway.

A lot should also depend upon the law level. If one treats the rules as procedural representations of the imposed setting...

Remembering the Reactions Table:
DieReaction
2Violent. Immediate attack.
3Hostile. Attack on 5+.
4Hostile. Attack on 8+.
5Hostile. May attack.
6Unreceptive.
7Non-committal.
8Interested.
9Intrigued.
10Responsive.
11Enthusiastic.
12Genuinely friendly.


And TTB has this on page 84:
Law level is also the general throw
to avoid harassment by police or other law enforcement agencies. For example,
on a world with law level 4, the throw to avoid arrest when encountering an
enforcement agent such as a customs official or policeman is 4+.
A more nuanced approach is on page 99 of TTB:
The referee should throw once per day for legal encounters (throw local law level or less to avoid an encounter).
If an encounter is called for, a local enforcer will stop the adventurers and require identification. The referee should roll for the enforcer's reaction as well, using adverse reactions as an indication of greater harassment, and positive reactions as a potential source of rumors, assistance, or patrons.
In which case, using CT 2E (TTB), each day there's 2d6≤LL chance of encounter with law. A Type T is the likely result.
This is vaguely likely to be in addition to the (expected) customs at docking/landing. And separate from the types T in space encounters. (who, when not pirate, might be private fast yachts, or off-to-maintenance system patrols, or even licensed privateers.

Note that Cops ALSO use the reactions table - but read "Attack" as "try to find and/or provoke a reason for arrest"; a 2 is likely "Arrest and plant evidence" if the players cannot modify/mollify them quickly... And ready willingness (as evidenced with Liaison) is likely to modify their reaction roll.


That is really useful information thanks.

With odern databases yeah the current coast guard has that information on it's screen before you even realize your being tracked.

Back in m day ( bad crusty ol' codger voice) It was a bit harder to have that information. It wasn't centralized, and regulations were a lot looser than current regs..so it was a bit more like the wild west with seagulls.

the Captain of a cutter could call in for a registry check, and get the basics, tonnage, captain, owner etc..if they had a reason to be suspicious they might get a general "of interest" flag.

I imagine the same info could be relayed by X-boat in a mail package and distributed to patrol ships as they check in...but other that that yep, not a clue you just shot up a trade station, and made off with fifty dTons tons of refined radioactives.


And the way you describe interactions with customs/inspection vessels is roughly accurate

In one case they knew that someone on the supply boats was delivering Pot to workers on the oil rigs our company was contracted to re-supply. so For months every time we turned around we got boarded , given a top to bottom search, and met those not-so-cheerful lads with the M-16s on a less than casual basis.

other times a cutter wold just cruise by casually give us a look over sound it's air horn a couple of times, wave and be on it's way.

Then there was the time A cutter Captain my Brother in law knew well pulled up and over the loud speaker we hear" Heeyyyyy Blevins I hear you have a fast boat...lets see how fast."

You would not believe how fast one of those big cutters can move...we were empty at the time so we gave him a really good run. And, Fortunately they haven't came up with no drag racing rules for ocean going craft at the time.

So basically yeah, sometimes the cops are friendly and polite, sometimes they are all business, on a bad day they are looking to haul your butt to lockup....and sometimes they are just bored and looking for an excuse to cut up a little.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.