Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] Prep: setting discussion (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30664)

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 07:46 PM

Still at office (feeling good today! :) ), but I scanned my old homebrew extended character generation and wrote a little introduction for it.

SB-CT-Extended-Chargen.pdf

This has new rules and service tables for Army, Marines, Navy, Scouts, and Free Traders. My basic idea was to provide a framework of 4 year terms like in Book 1, but adding in some of the cool stuff like service branches and specialty schools from Books 4 and 5 (Books 6 and 7 were not out yet when I wrote these). There is also a Military Police and CID service branch to give some law enforcement skills.

The intro page also has some campaign setting details about the respective duties of Army, Marines, and Assault Troops that players in this campaign may want to look at even if not using these rules for chargen (I'll try to remember to copy those parts to the campaign setting info in the blog when I get to writing that).

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446184)
I have never heard of Secret Six...

I don't know if they ever had their own comic, or only ran as "backup stories" in other DC comics such as The Brave and The Bold (1960s, back when comics still had a main story and backup story).

They were sort of like a Mission Impossible team: brawler, stage magician, disguise artist, scientist, etc - all of whom were being blackmailed with some secret from his/her past to participate in these missions assigned to them by "Mockingbird", who remained unseen and communicated by various recordings.

Spoiler:
I think the team eventually suspected that Mockingbird was actually one of them, but I don't recall if they ever figured out which one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 446184)
Done.

Thank you!

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 08:24 PM

I was thinking of running this guy: I rolled him up in a thread on generating backstories from the career rolls. he had a lot of potential and I tracked him down again on Freelance Trav's site so I could play him here.

He rolled up a Free Trader in mustering out that was actually (my interpretation here...I wanted "color") already well-used, clear of title (at least according to the shady former captain now swinging in the breeze) and probably already doing most of its business well off the main routes and the shadier parts of the ports.

Anyway, as far as names and rationales for player ships go its a thought:

Hampton Rhodes

6A79AB Age 38

Merchant Captain

Blade-2, Bribery-1, Gunnery-1, Mechanical-1, Pilot-2, SMG-1, Streetwise-2, Vacc Suit-1

SMG, Blade, Free Trader Fortunate Son 30,000Cr

Hampton appeared on the merchant scene looking more like a good candidate for the Naval Academy than working on some greasy Free Trader but as the second son of a noble he wasn’t likely to inherit. Nor did he get along very well with his family so he decided to take the road less travelled by his ancestors: strike out for fame and fortune he could call his own. His relatively high social status made it easy to fork over the stake the captain demanded for an officer’s berth (a real money-grubber type that would rather jury-rig a fuse than pay the few credits for a new one).

Hampton early on showed his worth as a pilot and an unusual aptitude for getting along and making deals within any strata of society – particularly with the lower ones where the captain of the Close Call usually found cargoes and passengers. The first flight resulted in a near miss with a pirate. Hampton was acting as the gunner during that incident and was badly wounded, which never properly healed and developed into a painful limp in his later years.

Saving the ship did result in a fast promotion, though, and to becoming a confidant to the captain when working dirtside looking for speculative cargo. Hampton showed a high aptitude for finding good cargos and picked up some expertise with a blade in case negotiations got a little heated. Occasionally it was his skill with a knife that saved both himself and the captain from angry customers who might have felt cheated – which sometimes they were.

He picked up a few more scars as the ship worked the rougher regions of the frontier. Eventually a submachine gun joined the blade at his side when cargos were being loaded or sold in some pretty iffy ports.

Eventually, Hampton made First Officer on the ship and, being smart, he had stashed the majority of his earnings away for the day when he decided one close shave for a percentage was too many. He figured that if he was going to risk his neck he would rather it be for a captain’s cut. On the last world they put in at some of the captain’s past caught up with the Close Call and Hampton decided Fate was giving him a shove.

While the captain was off arguing for why he shouldn’t be strung up from a lamp post over a bad incident involving spoiled medicine, Hampton took the Close Call to space with most of the crew eager to avoid the fate of their former captain. Hampton had had some new papers drawn up through a previous contact on the street a while back so he was now the proud owner of a Free trader. He renamed it Fortunate Son, greased a few of the right palms for a new transponder and better documents, and was now ready to begin his life as a merchant adventurer.

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446130)
Weaponry - standard stuff, up to and including gauss weapons.

Question on weapons and combat: what damage numbers are we using? The ones from LBB1 1977, or the ones from 81-82 editions? Likewise, some of the armor and range modifiers are different between the two rule sets.

Personally, I use and prefer the ones from the 77 edition since they are more diverse in your choices. Daggers shouldn't be as damaging as Blades, and .380 Body Pistols shouldn't do as much damage as a 9mm Autopistol. Etc.. IMHO

Hate to sound all grognardy but these things can make the difference.

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Leverage: a bunch of criminals, coopted into revenging/avenging/correction systemic and/or individual abuses by worse criminals against innocents by a do-gooder never seen on camera, by doing damned illegal things. Kind of a criminal spying and special ops game.
Hmm. If characters can be passengers, maybe I could be a criminal and one of the kids could be a cop (without being known to one other at first). Might be interesting to see a criminal and a cop forced to cooperate, or even accidetally discover that they're on the same team.

LiNeNoiSe July 23rd, 2013 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446192)
Question on weapons and combat: what damage numbers are we using? The ones from LBB1 1977, or the ones from 81-82 editions? Likewise, some of the armor and range modifiers are different between the two rule sets.

I'd kill for a copy of the '77 edition. Somebody swiped mine in college.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446191)
I was thinking of running this guy:
He rolled up a Free Trader in mustering out that was actually (my interpretation here...I wanted "color") already well-used, clear of title (at least according to the shady former captain now swinging in the breeze) and probably already doing most of its business well off the main routes and the shadier parts of the ports.

Hampton Rhodes
6A79AB Age 38
Merchant Captain

Looks good to me; I hope he wouldn't mind trading up to a J-2 Fat Trader, if that fits the group better? :rolleyes:

I made a character thread where you can post as much of your character as you want the other PCs to know about. If you want to keep some of the backstory unknown to the others, you might want to edit it out of the above post.

SpaceBadger July 23rd, 2013 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 446192)

Personally, I use and prefer the ones from the 77 edition since they are more diverse in your choices. Daggers shouldn't be as damaging as Blades, and .380 Body Pistols shouldn't do as much damage as a 9mm Autopistol. Etc.. IMHO

Hate to sound all grognardy but these things can make the difference.

Ummm, I dunno??? :o :confused:

I almost always played w houserules for combat, or used Striker, so I'm actually not as familiar w straight CT combat as maybe I should be. I've read the combat rules, of course, but only played w them in one session that I can recall.

I bought my LBBs in 78 or 79, so I suppose that would be the 77 edition. I also have The Traveller Book and MT, but never really compared to see if the numbers were different.

Last Traveller I played we used Fudge rules; last time before that, we used GURPS. I just figured on CT for this campaign bc I thought it would be what most people know.

Suggestions?

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446195)
Looks good to me; I hope he wouldn't mind trading up to a J-2 Fat Trader, if that fits the group better? :rolleyes:

I made a character thread where you can post as much of your character as you want the other PCs to know about. If you want to keep some of the backstory unknown to the others, you might want to edit it out of the above post.

A Fat Trader would give us all our own staterooms. That's always a plus. And more nooks and crannies for smuggling.. Nothing dangerously illegal, you know, just a little harmless vice here and there to liven up someone's day. And the longer legs would be nice.

sabredog July 23rd, 2013 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 446196)
Ummm, I dunno??? :o :confused:

I almost always played w houserules for combat, or used Striker, so I'm actually not as familiar w straight CT combat as maybe I should be. I've read the combat rules, of course, but only played w them in one session that I can recall.

I bought my LBBs in 78 or 79, so I suppose that would be the 77 edition. I also have The Traveller Book and MT, but never really compared to see if the numbers were different.

I've always used either Striker for the more gearheady grognardy groups and the 1977 CT rules for the rest.

I have a monster spreadsheet I made with all of the weapons from CT/Mercenary/and a lot in between (some my own, some from JTAS) that has the damage rolls from the 1977 edition. The range and armor mods are already factored in ala' the old Judges Guild Traveller Screen. Cross the weapon with range and armor and you get the number without all the math in between.

I'll include the armor table for factoring in the modifiers for combat and battle dress across the various tech levels it is available at. It is handy for figuring out if that TL-15 suit is any better at keeping out TL-12 gauss rifles than the TL-12 suits. And if battle dress is any better than combat like it is in Striker.

Use them if you want to, but at least you can see the differences in the weapon damage numbers form the more generic ones in the 1981+ editions.