Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Random Static (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   MacKeeper Pop Ups (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39199)

timerover51 July 2nd, 2018 03:44 PM

MacKeeper Pop Ups

Are any of the other Mac users on the forum being bombarded by MacKeeper ads for anti-virus software?

Fovean July 2nd, 2018 04:21 PM

Not here. Been on mac for a very long time and check the forums a few times a day. I used to use safari but recently went back to firefox for no particular reason.

Adam Dray July 2nd, 2018 05:16 PM

I run AdBlocker under Chrome and it gets rid of almost all ads I used to deal with, including ads on YouTube and Facebook.

whartung July 2nd, 2018 05:56 PM

Oh I'm sure I've seen those before, but little gets through the ad blockers nowadays.

aramis July 2nd, 2018 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 588877)
Are any of the other Mac users on the forum being bombarded by MacKeeper ads for anti-virus software?

Nope. AdBlock on Chrome reports no ads blocked on COTI for me, and I'm on a macbook most of the time.

It's probable that an ad-worm got inserted into your computer; failing that, someone's redirected your route through an ad-insertion site.

I've been informed by the local mac shop that Mac Keeper is in fact a virus back door opener.

Note that insertion-ads happen by a few means. The simplest is to propagate a new IP address for a given site, then have that site fetch your request, insert the ad popup, and serve it to you. You can prevent this by adding

Code:

209.59.173.114 www.travellerrpg.com
to the file /etc/hosts.

The second way is a virus.

The third way is to hide a window which keeps popping up a new window using various features of HTML+Javascript, and keeps itself minimized. I've not seen one of those in years, and most OS's now are going to block it. My mom, however, seems to have hit one last week. She cured it by powering off and back on; it was polling the keyboard, so she couldn't force quit.

The fourth way is a trojan horse, like MacKeeper supposedly is. Get people to install the utility, give it permissions to do kewl stuff, but while it does those, it also installs malicious code in the background. (My dad had a hundred of them - literally - on his windows box. Sad side effect of Parkinsonian Dementia. It was bad enough that it also had a bios-virus, which prevented clean reinstallation by installing the virus on boot if it wasn't there, and reflashing the bios with itself while running if the bios was flashed.)

whartung July 3rd, 2018 02:27 PM

I run AdBlock and Ghostery. That has been pretty effective.

Some sites do weird things. Some sites complain about the ad blocker. I usually just leave those (since I'm typically just following links from news sites or whatever, "The story isn't that interesting anyway").

If the story IS that interesting, I'll fire up another browser, go in to Private mode, and load the site then.

Many folks swear by NoScript, which is a java script blocker. That doesn't run on Safari, so I haven't used it (I use Safari as my go to browser). That will take some fiddling to work with, as EVERYONE is using Javascript today, so you'll have to whitelist a bunch of stuff. But its a solid cure to maladies since Javascript is a primary vector of infection nowadays.

There are other methods, outside of these, if you're technically savvy.

One is there are folks curating ad/spam/dangeruos hostnames and blacklisting them in your /etc/hosts file. That works not terribly, but you have to maintaining it yourself (not that it's that big of a deal). It's pretty safe, just back up your /etc/hosts file (Windows has their hosts file someplace else). What aramis suggested is essentially "whitelisting" the site here by injecting the actual IP into your hosts files, so that it does not need to resolve via DNS.

Another is there is a project call "pi hole" (I think). This is a hardware solution, and much more clever.

This sets up on your network and you use it as a DNS provider. And it not only only blocks the ad sites, but it serves empty resources. So, when go to Youtube and it wants to fire up an ad in your video, this thing simply returns an "empty" video, which the browser dutifully plays, and you move along your merry way. Set up on your WiFi, this even works on your tablets and streaming devices (Apple TV et al).

It's very clever, but you need to be more skilled at networking and hardware. Ostensibly it's designed to be run on a dedicated Raspberry Pi computer board (which is an extraordinary piece of kit if you're not familiar with this genre of cheap micro computer devices).

I'm not quite the curmudgeon enough to abandon everything and buy a MIPS board and run NetBSD on it with a 30 year old window manager, and go back to text based email and a co-loacted computer for email hosting. Close, but not quite.

You can also consider getting a Chromebook. Chromebook's are getting to the point where before were I to suggest a computer to a Human Being it would be a MacBook, but Chromebooks are pretty neat. I have more faith in Apple than Google, but Chromebooks are pretty invulnerable to network based maladies. But now they're running android apps, which have their own issues.