Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Magnus' Permatic PBF (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=140)
-   -   Round 2. GO! (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=39874)

Magnus von Thornwood February 22nd, 2019 01:00 AM

Round 2. GO!
 
This the In-Character (IC) Play Thread. Out-Of-Character (OOC) and other matters go in the appropriate thread.

Bohen [FARS 1224], C 666 656-8.
Local Time: 1200 (360-0195 PI).

Bohen is an agricultural world with a small population and Banner with a long view. Located in the rimward end of Greater Empty, part of the Lonely Trio (Shesser [FARS 1223], Bohen [FARS 1224], and Camp Oftsy [FARS 1323]) it has the only local starport worth anything. While it is a only a Class C port it does boast a newly completed high port, Bohen Heights which orbits above Bohen Downs (or as it is already being referred to by the locals as "the Old Port"). The world does a brisk trade in agricultural goods and has a trade agreement with its neighbor Shesser. Shesser's extremely small community specializes in rare grains and other ag goods and have good relations with the Banner.

Said Banner, Lord von Ryer is the 10th of his linage to hold the title since the founding of the Permatic Imperium and has designs to bring his world into the larger arena of interstellar trade. He has invested and was mostly responsible for the building of the high port to allow unstreamllined bulk carriers to visit without having to bring their own smallcraft. He's got a contract with Camp Ofsty to supply them with foodstuffs, and he's invested as partner in Fliskin Transport. He is eager to bring trade and colonists to his world and he's put the word out in the Traveller circles and so it has come to you.

Thus it stands as you, freshly Mustered Out of your Imperial service, step off the highport courtesy shuttle on to the concrete of the port having arrived at Bohen Downs with an invitation to the see the Banner at his Manor a few days before Holiday, or New Year's Eve as the Terran traditionalist call it.

It is noon and Ryersville, the largest urban site on the world boasts more than the 50K population than is listed in the old guides and around the port it is bustling and the aromas of various food carts just outside the Line and the crowds around them show that noon here is still prime eating time.


Not to scale.

The day is new and the world is open.

SpaceBadger February 22nd, 2019 09:43 PM

Frank's arrival at Bohen Downs
 
Frank Masuda, recently mustered out of the Imperial eXogalactic Scout Service, Ranger Branch, stepped down off of the courtesy shuttle onto the concrete landing pad of Bohen Downs starport and took a look around. His invitation to come and discuss a business proposition with the local noble, Banner Lord von Ryer, had mentioned the possibility of a pickup by grav limo, but he didn't see one around. Maybe on the other side of the main terminal, outside the extrality line.

Frank wished he had been able to land his Scout ship here at Bohen Downs, where all of his gear would be more readily accessible, but the Banner's regulations and fee schedules were definitely slanted toward docking all starships at the Highport and going down to the planet surface by shuttle. The ship he had been assigned as a detached duty vessel had a strange name, "Whatever's Clever," which seemed to invite renaming. Fortunately, although it wasn't the ship he had used in The Service, it was at least a Ranger-equipped ship, with certain extras including a programmable transponder. As soon as he had a mission or had decided where to go from here, it would be easy to change.

Frank decided that he needed to head into the terminal to:
1) get into some shade;
2) find a secure locker for his Gauss pistol (banned by LL6);
3) call the local Chapter House of the Knights of the Empire to ask questions about Bohem, including whether he might carry his Gauss pistol with Tranq needles only (LL6 allows "stunners");
4) find someplace to buy a stunner if he can't carry his own pistol; and
5) recheck the invitation saved on his comm regarding instructions for getting out to the Banner's ranch (maybe he needs to call for limo pickup).

[Frank needs to know if he is accompanied by any other PCs before unilaterally declaring much further, I think...]

Magnus von Thornwood February 27th, 2019 08:49 PM

At Bohen Downs with...
 
Frank Masuda.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 599379)
Frank decided that he needed to head into the terminal to:
1) get into some shade;

The Terminal is pretty basic, template concrete, cremanics, steel, amd glass. The day is a pleasant 27°C as the Port and Ryersville are just a smidge north of the equator, some clouds dust the sky but they're cirus and so probably no rain. There's quite a bit of green plant and various colored lichens within and without. Murals in a style those of pre-Jump Earth call New Socialist Reaism or in the Soviet style. Mostly agricultural and light industry. It gives the vibe of a world that knows it isn't yet a First World but sees itself clearly on the way.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 599379)
2) find a secure locker for his Gauss pistol (banned by LL6);

Easily done there is a section of lockers for small packages both long and short term. A week's storage of amrs willl run about Cr 350. There is a bond posted so this isn't some sort of cheap, easily knocked off locker like say a Class D. Also, they boast alarm service and remote access security, rather high end for a crappy C class and off the beaten path at that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 599379)
3) call the local Chapter House of the Knights of the Empire to ask questions about Bohem, including whether he might carry his Gauss pistol with Tranq needles only (LL6 allows "stunners");

Nope, the Banner and the Mayor are pretty in snyc with this one. They used to be looser but they started to have problems so now, it is stunners* only. Keeps the homicide rate low. The Page will direct you to a Hunter Joe's Arms Emporium which has a pretty good rep among Travellers. They have a selection of styles and models for both purchase and rent.

*Stunners being non-lethals such as sleepy gas or tasers or neural disruptors.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 599379)
4) find someplace to buy a stunner if he can't carry his own pistol; and

"Hunter Joe's Arms Emporium can be found in Shop 12 on Concourse A."
InfoKiosk. When you need to know!

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 599379)
5) recheck the invitation saved on his comm regarding instructions for getting out to the Banner's ranch (maybe he needs to call for limo pickup).

[Frank needs to know if he is accompanied by any other PCs before unilaterally declaring much further, I think...]

Additional information has been entered into the Sandbox entry for Bohen. This includes some info on transportation. :)

And now we see who else arrives...

77topaz February 28th, 2019 01:24 AM

Julius arrives!
 
Julius Tanaka walked across the terminal at Bohen Downs, following the signs for the grav-taxi stand. He briefly paused to wipe the sweat off his forehead with a handkerchief before tucking it back into his toolbox. He had stocked it with a range of equipment like a sort of miniature Ship's Locker, but kept in mind the local Law Level. The handkerchief came to rest beside a collection of basic mechanic's tools, a compact computer and a taser, as well as various other small items such as a locator beacon. One of the tools had a handle painted in rainbow colours with a chain of beads attached to it. Julius supposed the chain of beads could be useful for hanging the tool on hooks, but mostly it just seemed a bit comedically ridiculous - a typical example of the sense of humour of Julius's former Captain Carick Shanley, who had given it to him as a present just before his Mustering Out. The colours and beads were actually a tradition from the world of Sekhmet [FARS 2025]; Sekhmet was one of Captain Shanley's favourite worlds in the Imperium, which was no surprise considering how its garish colourfulness and wild festivals aligned with his tastes. Julius liked Sekhmet as well, though more for the local cuisine and music. It was a shame the world's political situation was so unstable, with several rival governments constantly teetering on the brink of civil war.

The toolbox overall was about the size and shape of a suitcase, but filled with heavy equipment it would be rather a hassle to carry around, even for an Imperial Serviceperson. Instead, the suitcase was carried by a small, airborne robotic drone, which Julius had mostly built and programmed himself, though a few of his comrades and his father had helped him. He had already noticed some of the locals passing by eye it with expressions ranging from curiosity to suspicion, used to TL-8; however, Julius had already checked that Bohen didn't have any laws that would affect little Boxer.

As he resumed walking, Julius thought about his current situation in life. He had Mustered Out only a few weeks ago; one of his former instructors had already offered him a position at the Unbulne Naval Academy, and he hadn't declined the offer, but he'd wanted to get away from the enclosed Naval culture for at least a little while. His first plan had been to travel to his homeworld Olam [FARS 2022], but then he'd gotten an invitation from the Banner Bohen. Bohen was only two parsecs away from INB Unbulne [FARS 1425], so it wasn't an especially long journey, and, though he had never met the man personally, Julius had heard that the Banner Bohen was actually someone concerned with the productivity of his assigned world rather than just petty internal squabbles like most of the minor Nobles he was familiar with, so he'd decided to accept the invitation.

Besides, it would probably be better for him to wait a few months to visit Olam anyway, as then his cousin Isaac Varsis would be on shore leave and his brother Abraham would have returned from representing the Olam-based jump drive manufacturer Saniisha on several of the Imperium's major worlds. The only one of his close living family members who lived there continuously was his father Hallon, a Craftsman for Wiseman Yards (the handkerchief was a gift from them, bearing their logo, which Julius didn't really like but he'd wanted a handkerchief anyway and it worked as good as any other).

Julius emerged from his thoughts as he arrived at the grav-taxi terminal, with Boxer slowing to a halt beside him. There were no grav-taxis currently, but about half a dozen people milled about, most of them with Scout uniforms. One of them stood out to Julius. A man looking to be in his forties like himself, Julius thought he recognised his face from Service news. Hadn't he made several important Discoveries? Yes, that was it.

'Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be Frank Masuda, would you?'

[OOC: there being several people with Scout uniforms is so that Dabi could also be there; Frank has Fame 19, so I thought Julius would probably recognise him]

SpaceBadger March 3rd, 2019 02:21 AM

Clarifications requested
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 599540)
*Stunners being non-lethals such as sleepy gas or tasers or neural disruptors.

As Frank's career in law-enforcement would include some education on available non-lethals at various TLs:

Sleepy Gas: Is sleepy gas (in form permissable as LL6 "stunner") available in any sort of gun such as The Green Hornet's gas gun (little pellets that popped gas, IIRC)? Do sleepy gas grenades count as LL6 stunners? YES. If neither of the foregoing, I'm at a loss - what form of sleepy gas delivery is available? Something like Walt Boyd's concealed-sleep-gas-projector-in-electric-lighter, in Four Day Planet?

Tasers: Are these only the TL7(?) variety firing darts connected to the gun by wire? YES. Or has TL15(?) advanced to the point of using a low-intensity, non-destructive, laser to ionize a path through the air and let the knockout zap follow that path? IMPORTED WITH PRICE HIKE. GURPS calls such a taser an electrolaser, and although I'm too lazy to go look it up (those books are upstairs, ouch!), I'd think that if such an idea would actually work, it ought to be at no more than TL9 or 10 by Traveller standards.

Neural disruptors: Stunner version is limited to non-lethal energy levels, I reckon? YES.

Oh, yeah, and what about all of the shock sticks, shock-knucks, etc available in SF literature (if not in RL; I really don't know) as equivalents to the current misnamed "stun-gun" that isn't a gun at all but looks a bit like an electric shaver that could give you a Big Surprise (ObRef Paul Reiser/Buchman FTW)? Surely those are all stunners, even if they are also handy in melee combat? WHICH IS WHY THEY ARE PROHIBITED. CONSIDERED PROVOKING.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 599540)
Additional information has been entered into the Sandbox entry for Bohen. This includes some info on transportation. :)

Hmm. The bits on the Banner's limo are still there, but the New Info is all about taxi-equivalents, so even though you didn't answer my question about what the Invitation actually says about getting to the Banner's ranch, the New Info implies we're supposed to be going by grav-taxi.

So, there goes our opportunity for Julius and the two Scouts to meet when picked up by the limo. YEPPERS, THE INVITE WAS INFORMAL BY WAY OF RECOMMENDATION FROM A TRUSTED SOURCE.77topaz, I guess of the available options [see OOC; news had faces altered, and Frank ain't wearing that name tape on his shipsuit!] we are kinda down to "Julius and Frank were vaguely acquainted sometime in the past, and Julius has a good memory for faces."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 599551)
'Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be Frank Masuda, would you?'

So I'll grab that line you tossed and we'll get Frank and Julius face to face! (Now where in Gehenna is Dabi?)

SpaceBadger March 3rd, 2019 04:31 AM

Frank Meets Julius!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 599551)
Julius emerged from his thoughts as he arrived at the grav-taxi terminal, with Boxer slowing to a halt beside him. There were no grav-taxis currently, but about half a dozen people milled about, most of them with Scout uniforms. One of them stood out to Julius. A man looking to be in his forties like himself, Julius thought he recognised his face [delete: from Service news]. Hadn't he made several important Discoveries? Yes, that was it.

[A Few OOC Notes:

Of the available options [see OOC thread: news reports had faces altered, and Frank ain't wearing that name tape on his shipsuit!] we are kinda down to "Julius and Frank were vaguely acquainted sometime in the past, and Julius has a good memory for faces." I'm willing to leave it as vague as that unless/until we work our more detail In Character; I dunno about Julius's Navy career, but the Permatic Imperium and its spheres of interest aren't really that large an area, and Frank has been all over it at one time or another in the past 28 years as a Field Scout and Ranger.

As for the location that Julius sees Frank, I dunno what you want to say about what you already wrote, but No, Frank is not out near any taxi-stand (surely not an entire terminal of taxis?) as I noted in my previous IC post that Frank has several items of business to conduct inside the Downport before he can cross the extrality line into local control and LL6 to look for a taxi.]

============================

Frank looked around the Downport terminal, wondering where that young Cub had taken himself off to. They needed to stash their offworld weapons (or at least, Frank did) and visit the Hunter Joe's shop to find some alternates that would pass the local weapon restrictions.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 599551)
'Excuse me, you wouldn't happen to be Frank Masuda, would you?'

Those were words that Frank was never happy hearing unexpectedly, but when he turned to look (keeping his gunhand empty and near the butt of his pistol), he realized that Yes, the person hailing him did look vaguely familiar. Not another Scout like young Dabi; no, maybe an Imperial Navy officer?

"Uh, yeah, that's me. We've met, haven't we? Navy Base somewhere, or was it back on Permatic?" Frank extended his right hand to offer a gesture of friendship to the stranger, meanwhile letting go of his duffel handle with his left so that he can keep it free to go for one of his several knives if necessary.

SanDragon March 4th, 2019 03:21 PM

The Goober's Intro...
 
Dabi steps off the shuttle ramp, carefully sniffing the unfamiliar air.

Sidestepping just a little so he won't be in the way of others' disembarking, he takes a deep breath of good standard air, noting the stronger scents of what passes for lunch on Bohen.

Ah, Bohen. Rumor has it the Lord Bohen wants to raise the world's profile, and Dabi figures it's better poking through new vistas instead of humaniti's same old problems. He didn't want to play a soldier beyond learning how to protect himself and Imperial interests as an explorer. He didn't ask to be shot at by disgruntled people. Dabi was just doing as posted during an occupation.


Looking down at himself, he wishes he used his pay for things like more presentable clothing. It didn't seem quite right to show up for a potential job in worn clothes. But, at least they were clean, and he wasn't naked.


"Great." Dabi mumbles. "What if the local culture does parade around nearly naked?" he asks himself a little too loudly.


He gets a few odd loos at that statement.


"First things first. I think I should try to check in to my potential employer."


"I need to call His Lordiness." as he looks around for a public comm booth.

SpaceBadger March 4th, 2019 09:33 PM

Frank shook hands with the man who had seemed to recognize him in the crowd, trying his best to remember the man's name.

[Hmm, standard difficulty so unless GM says differently I want to roll 6+; DM +× for Frank's Int of A; plus I think DM +4 for Frank's 4 terms as a Ranger (in lieu of any directly applicable skill) since in that profession it could be very important to remember faces/names to recognize Bad Guys. Aww, frag. Forgot we're doing T5 here. So, umm, [search search, hope T5.2 is better organized, not exactly a high bar to clear, grumble grumble] looks like AVG task requires rolling 2d for =< Characteristic, which in this case would be Frank's Int of D, [wait, so now we want LOW rolls for success?!? :oo:] with DMs, umm... no applicable Skill that I can think of, so how about a DM +4 for Frank's 4 terms as a Ranger (in lieu of any directly applicable skill) since in that profession it could be very important to remember faces/names to recognize Bad Guys - no, wait, we want LOW result so that should be DM -4. Then what the heck, make it Hasty so that raises difficulty by 1 and now I need to roll 3d6 for =< Int(13), with DM- 4. OK, roll 'em: [roll0]. So 9-4=5 and Frank easily recalls the stranger's full name. Whew!]

"Oh, sure, Julius Tanaka, right? Are you still in the Navy?" Frank released Julius's hand and flicked his eyes around, still looking for Dabi. Where could that Cub be? They'd received the same invitation while up on the highport, to come dirtside and meet with the local noble at the upcoming Holiday celebration at his ranch, but had been unable to secure adjacent seats on the shuttle down. "Hey, excuse me just a moment, Julius, I need to try to locate someone."

Frank raised his left wrist to chin level to counteract the crowd noise, reflexively dropping his right hand to within a dm of his holster. "Comm. Call Dabi." He heard a few beeps, then the connection tone, and waited for Dabi to pick up.

77topaz March 5th, 2019 12:42 AM

'Yes, that's me, from INB Unbulne,' Julius replied after shaking Frank's hand. 'I just mustered out a few weeks ago, actually. I got offered a job at the Unbulne Naval Academy, but I haven't decided about that yet. An... acquaintance invited me to Holiday celebrations here.' He hadn't actually met the Banner Bohen before, so he couldn't really call him an acquaintance, but something about the invitation had given Julius the impression that he should be careful when talking about it. He suspected there was an ulterior motive to the invitation, since as far as he knew even Imperial Nobles didn't usually invite people they'd never met to Holiday celebrations.

While Frank was calling on his wrist comm, Julius waited patiently, checking Boxer had caught up to him and then casually looking around at the surroundings of the terminal and the various sophonts walking past (mostly Humans, though he saw an Edendextu family pass as well). The hall they were standing in had several generic Imperium-wide cafés and food joints on one side, and on the other side a large window looked out on a cargo storage area mostly filled with stacks of containers. The one nearest to the window bore the logo of jump drive and power plant manufacturers Shaasagra-Inkesi, another one of the manufacturing-related megacorps that had just moved their headquarters and plants to Olam; Julius wondered if these goods he was seeing were already manufactured there, or still on some other industrial world like Permatic.

Meanwhile, he decided to ask Frank if he'd like anything from the nearby cafés once the latter was done with his comm. It had been a few years since Julius had seen him, and he'd certainly be interested in talking some more with him, though he wasn't sure if he'd have the time to before he'd need to go to the grav taxi-stand to get to the Banner's Keep.

Magnus von Thornwood March 6th, 2019 12:35 PM

*beep-beep* goes the Comm...
 
As Dabi is looking around for a comm terminal that isn't being used, there only being a half dozen or so and they all seem to be occupied at the moment, his comm will beep for attention. Assuming young Dabi looks at his comm, Frank catches the movement and spots the missing Scout over by the crowd near the comm terminals which are near the front door of the port.

***

Your Referee is hoping this is acceptable to all parties to get you all together and if desired to explore Bohen Downs and maybe do some shopping. Oh and if Dabi is gonna put the call into VM, be aware this isn't a particularly large port so there are good sight lines around to scan crowds. Though it does seem a bit busy right now what with the shuttle having just unloaded.

Also, I'm going to assume since you all came in one major transports you have all gotten cleared through Customs...unless you want to deal with that. I promise no Exit Visa shenanigans. :D

As to the Clever, she's been off loaded from the transport and given a berth in the Heights where you can collect her when you're ready to leave. Hmmm. Still needs a name but apparently is a female styled LIP, so we go with my beloved Victoria for her name. Any complaints that I should address?

SanDragon March 6th, 2019 07:09 PM

Dabi lifts his wrist to near his face. Even though he doesn't have to, it makes for better reception.

"Dabi here? Over?"

SpaceBadger March 7th, 2019 03:15 AM

Frank, Julius, and Dabi all in one place! Wow!
 
[As specified by GM] Frank saw Dabi raise his comm and heard his answer, "Dabi here? Over?" He grinned and raised his hand high to try to catch Dabi's attention.

"Hi, Dabi, this is Frank. I just ran into an old friend, thought maybe we could all grab a bite and a drink together before you and I seek out this Banner fellow. I also need to stow my gun so I don't get in trouble with local law; they're LL6 here, remember. Check your five o'clock; I'm waving at you!"

SanDragon March 9th, 2019 08:32 PM

Dabi turns around until he sees Frank.

"Sounds great! I could use something grass-fed and brew-watered, like a steak! Areal steak!"

Dabi starts to walk over to where Frank is standing.

SpaceBadger March 9th, 2019 10:23 PM

Waving Dabi over, Frank terminated the comm link and turned back to Julius, asking if he had picked out any likely looking targets for a quick bite to eat. (If Julius had more than one suggestion, Frank would express his preference for something local, rather than the franchise places you could find in any starport of class C or better.)

When Dabi came near, Frank introduced him to Julius as, "Dabi Salathiel, a Scout comrade recently met as we both endured that administrative meat-grinder known as Mustering Out. The Service had an extra Type S unassigned that they're letting me take out on detached duty, so Dabi and I decided to wander aways in this direction and see some places we haven't seen before." Frank then introduced Julius to Dabi as, "Julius Tanaka, long-known acquaintance, of the Imperial Navy. You're from somewhere near here, aren't you, Julius?"

While making the introductions, Frank conducted the small party toward whichever cafe he and Julius had agreed on.

77topaz March 10th, 2019 04:13 AM

Beans of Bohen, Beans of Bohen...
 
After Julius discussed the various cafés in the food court with Frank, they decided to go to the one place Julius didn't recognise as an interstellar franchise. Named Beans of Bohen, which advertised that its coffee was grown on-planet on Bohen. Julius's curiosity was piqued somewhat, as he had not tasted such coffee before; the standard Navy coffee was synthetic (and so was the standard Olam coffee, for that matter), and most other coffee he'd tasted was grown on Heridis [FARS 1128] or Ninkas [FARS 2223].

After Frank introduced him to Dabi, Julius answered Frank's question: 'Well, yes and no. Before I Mustered Out, I was stationed at INB Unbulne, which is certainly nearby. That's been my main base for the two decades I've been in the Navy, and I went to the Unbulne Naval Academy. But where I'm from originally is actually Olam, over on the other side of Permatic.' He briefly paused, but thought of something: 'Have you ever been there?'

Magnus von Thornwood March 11th, 2019 12:55 PM

Lucky you, Dabi!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDragon (Post 599892)
Dabi turns around until he sees Frank.

"Sounds great! I could use something grass-fed and brew-watered, like a steak! Areal steak!"

Dabi starts to walk over to where Frank is standing.

Turns out that over in the corner to the northwest you see Areal Steak Joint "Serving Genuine Terran-style Beef since the Third Imperium!", it may be a sector spanning franchise but they still get good reviews from those Terran-style foodies and such. TAS only rates them 3 starbursts but then they kinda look down on franchise restaurants.

SanDragon March 16th, 2019 07:34 PM

"Steak joint!!" Dabi shouts, as he backs slowly toward it and waves the other two in that direction.

SpaceBadger March 17th, 2019 07:04 AM

"No, I've never been there," Frank replied to Julius. He gestured toward Dabi. "It seems that my travelling companion wants a heavier meal. I assume they serve locally-grown coffee there as well. Does that sound acceptable to you?"

[Assuming Julius agrees... ] The pair followed Dabi to the steakhouse.

Once they were seated, Frank ordered coffee, cold water, meat-and-cheese with flatbread (whatever the local form would be), and a slice of fruit pie (preferably some kind of tart berries).

"Gentlemen," he said at first opportunity, "the first thing I'd like to do after we eat is visit a place here at the starport called Trader Joe's, to acquire a stunner compliant with local law, and then rent a locker for my gun so I don't get arrested for carrying it. I suggest that you two do the same, unless you've already taken care of that."

"After that I'd like to find transport out to the local noble's estate. He is called the Banner, and he is having a big Holiday celebration out at his ranch. I don't believe that it's completely open to the public, but Dabi and I have been invited, and I wouldn't be surprised if we could score an invitation for you, Julius, on the strength of your Navy service and offworld experience. It seems the Banner is very interested in strengthening Bohen's offworld connections. Could be interesting, or at least amusing."

77topaz March 17th, 2019 05:29 PM

Julius chuckled to himself at Dabi's enthusiastic antics, reminding him of a few Naval cadets he'd seen over the years. His smile turned to a frown, however, when he noticed the place he was leading them towards. Areal Steak Joint was an interstellar chain; he'd visited a few of them (or rather, been dragged to them, much like what was now happening) with his Naval colleagues, and he had never exactly been impressed with the franchise. For one thing, the asteroid belt Olam where he'd grown up didn't really have the space or resources for keeping livestock, and the world was then still ruled by the isolationist House Rannian, so perishable meat wasn't a common import either and the only animals one would see were pets and, well, other sophonts. When Julius started travelling offworld and joined the Unbulne Naval Academy he'd actually been surprised people there ate animals regularly, and though he'd obliged his friends on occasion he'd never quite been comfortable with it. But he was far from the only sophont in the Navy who thought that, so there were always rations available that weren't made from animals; and at the moment in Bohen Downs, he wasn't particularly hungry so it wasn't really an issue now either.

Thus, Julius decided to follow Frank and Dabi, as he was still more interested in talking to them than going to Beans of Bohen (and he could always go there at some later time anyway, such as when he was leaving Bohen again).

When Frank brought up weapons, Julius responded: 'Yeah, I've already taken care of that. The only weapon I have on me - or rather, Boxer is carrying for me' (he motioned to Boxer, which was hovering idly a few feet away from their table) 'is a taser, which is legal on this world. Also, I take it the shop you meant is Hunter Joe's? I saw it when I was walking through Concourse A.'

When Frank mentioned the Banner, Julius was intrigued, and thought to himself. It seemed Frank and Dabi had received an invitation very similar to his own. 'The Banner's Holiday celebrations, you say? How interesting! In fact, back at INB Unbulne a few weeks ago I received a similar invitation, and that is why I am here on Bohen today. I haven't met him personally, but I've heard good things about von Ryer both when he was in the Navy and now he's a Noble, so I decided it was worth accepting his invitation, especially since it's only a two-parsec journey from INB Unbulne to Bohen.'

SanDragon March 22nd, 2019 11:01 PM

"Not necessarily a heavy meal, but with moderation, one that is quite satisfying."

"Buying some sort of self defense would be nice, but I am flat broke."

"Is it too much to hope The Banner will provide and provision some minimal amount for the mission?"

Magnus von Thornwood March 25th, 2019 02:22 PM

Food orders...
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600168)
"No, I've never been there," Frank replied to Julius. He gestured toward Dabi. "It seems that my travelling companion wants a heavier meal. I assume they serve locally-grown coffee there as well. Does that sound acceptable to you?"

[Assuming Julius agrees... ] The pair followed Dabi to the steakhouse.

Once they were seated, Frank ordered:

Your server arrives at the table with a platter of ice water and menus. They await your orders.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600168)
coffee, cold water,

"Will you want cream and sugar with that?"

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600168)
meat-and-cheese with flatbread (whatever the local form would be),

"Roast beef, cold or hot? Gravy or none? We have a variety of local and some imported cheeses, what sort of flavor or flavors are you looking for? Something strong, if so might I suggest a local version of Y_Fenni. Or maybe something mellow like a feta? And for bread there are a couple wheat breads and a local variant of both sourdough and injera."

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600168)
and a slice of fruit pie (preferably some kind of tart berries).

"Sorry, berries are out of season but we do have tart apple pie, would that be okay?"

SpaceBadger March 25th, 2019 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 600334)
Your server arrives at the table with a platter of ice water and menus. They await your orders.

"Will you want cream and sugar with that?"

Frank ordered large coffee black, specifying the local brew that Julius had mentioned. When it arrived, he added ice cubes from his water tumbler. :coffeesip:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 600334)
"Roast beef, cold or hot? Gravy or none? We have a variety of local and some imported cheeses, what sort of flavor or flavors are you looking for? Something strong, if so might I suggest a local version of Y_Fenni. Or maybe something mellow like a feta? And for bread there are a couple wheat breads and a local variant of both sourdough and injera."

"Well, if I'm to specify that level of detail, please bring me two whole wheat tortillas, fajita-sized," (Frank spread his thumb and little finger to show the size that he meant) "with a nice pile of shredded roast beef, cold," (again he used his hand to indicate what he meant by a nice pile) "four slices of sharp cheddar cheese, and a ripe red tomato; I'll slice that up myself."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 600334)
"Sorry, berries are out of season but we do have tart apple pie, would that be okay?"

"Apple is fine, thanks."

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 600180)
'I take it the shop you meant is Hunter Joe's? I saw it when I was walking through Concourse A.'

Frank nodded affirmation. "Yes, that's the one. I haven't been there yet, but it was suggested to me by the InfoKiosk. I'll need to stop in there after we eat."
Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 600180)
When Frank mentioned the Banner, Julius was intrigued, and thought to himself. It seemed Frank and Dabi had received an invitation very similar to his own. 'The Banner's Holiday celebrations, you say? How interesting! In fact, back at INB Unbulne a few weeks ago I received a similar invitation, and that is why I am here on Bohen today. I haven't met him personally, but I've heard good things about von Ryer both when he was in the Navy and now he's a Noble, so I decided it was worth accepting his invitation, especially since it's only a two-parsec journey from INB Unbulne to Bohen.'

Frank smiled. "That's Great! Since we're all headed to the same destination, I suggest we grab a taxi together. I believe the InfoKiosk said that the trip to the ranch would be a few hours by grav transport, so that'll give us time to catch up and tell tales about where we've been and so forth."
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDragon (Post 600285)
"Buying some sort of self defense would be nice, but I am flat broke."

Frank looked surprised. "Hey, Cub, you should have said something to me while we were still at the Highport! I would have gotten you strapped out of Clever's locker. But don't worry, I'm not going to leave a brother Scout bare-naked in a strange place. You can have one of my knives, and I'll buy you some kind of legal stunner from this Joe's place. So, hey, relax and enjoy your meal!"

Frank reached into one of his belt pouches and produced what appeared to be a standard Scout-issue snack-sized field ration. He laid it carefully on the table beside Dabi's plate. "That's not an appetizer, nor dessert. Inside the wrapper is a chunk of memory plastic that looks kinda like a bar of soap. But if you rap it sharply against a hard surface, presto, it changes into a combat knife, sharp enough to shave with (if you've run out of depil gel)! You don't even need to take it out of the wrapper when you change it; just make sure that red end isn't pointed against anything you don't want stabbed. If you want to turn it back into a plastic bar again, just microwave it."
Quote:

Originally Posted by SanDragon (Post 600285)
"Is it too much to hope The Banner will provide and provision some minimal amount for the mission?"

Frank shrugged. "What mission? You must have heard more with your invitation than I did."

He looked toward Julius. "Do you know what he's talking about? "

Magnus von Thornwood March 25th, 2019 04:01 PM

"Okay..."
 
"Excellent. And you, sirs?" your server waits for the others to put in their orders.

For Areal Steak Joint it's not quite the franchise look and feel compared to those you see on world with higher class starports. The place is off the beaten starlanes and so they're much more oriented to the local products than say an industrial or high pop world. While a lot of the franchise's places go for the Terran or Colonial "rustic" look, here what there is of it feels more viscerally real, organic (for example the leather in the chairs and booths is real and not a synthetic) yet the underlying and most of the overlying feeling is more fine dining for the locals with the "local" aspect being added for your obviously off-world selves. You get the feeling that the imported stuff sees more trade from the locals. Also as noted by Frank, they're much more flexible in the orders.

SpaceBadger March 26th, 2019 02:29 AM

[Oops, I see that my edit to add responses to Dabi and Julius overlapped in time w Magnus's response. I hope that doesn't confuse anyone. Sorry, I was taking medicine and fell asleep in mid-post - after the bit responding to Magnus w Frank's food order, but before editing in the bits w Dabi and Julius.]

77topaz March 27th, 2019 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magnus von Thornwood (Post 600337)
"Excellent. And you, sirs?" your server waits for the others to put in their orders.

'Do you have any coffee grown here on Bohen?' Julius asks the server. 'As for food, I'd prefer a light salad, preferably of local produce.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600336)
Frank nodded affirmation. "Yes, that's the one. I haven't been there yet, but it was suggested to me by the InfoKiosk. I'll need to stop in there after we eat."

'Okay, that's fine.'

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600336)
Frank smiled. "That's Great! Since we're all headed to the same destination, I suggest we grab a taxi together. I believe the InfoKiosk said that the trip to the ranch would be a few hours by grav transport, so that'll give us time to catch up and tell tales about where we've been and so forth."

Julius nodded. 'Yes, that sounds good to me. I was actually on my way to the grav-taxi stand just outside the starport when I ran into you guys.'

While Frank and Dabi discussed their weapons, Julius checked his taser was in place in Boxer's toolbox.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 600336)
Frank shrugged. "What mission? You must have heard more with your invitation than I did."

He looked toward Julius. "Do you know what he's talking about? "

'No, I don't. My invitation was just for the Holiday celebrations. Granted, I already suspected the Banner had some ulterior motivation for inviting me, but this is the first I've heard of a "mission".'

SpaceBadger April 10th, 2019 06:41 PM

[Assuming that Dabi has put in his order for "areal" steak and whatever sides he wants, and that our group has been served and begun eating and drinking...]

Frank reaches to slide the "snack bar" (memory plastic combat knife) closer to Dabi's hand. "You might want to put that away before some busboy tries to remove it." Frank reflects on Dabi's "flat broke" comment together with the substantial meal that Dabi is now digging into, and tries to recall the last time he has seen Dabi actually eating... and he really doesn't want to be an accomplice to a possible Pathfinder Dine n Dash!

"Hey, guys, this meal is on me. The Emperor was pretty generous with my Mustering Out benefits, or else the pay office had my back-pay invested well, or something. But anyway, please let me treat you both."

Frank expands the holoscreen of his comm, in a field visible only to him, and his fingers dart and dash at invisible controls. At one point he holds it up for a retinal scan, then lays it flat for a biometric scan of his hand. He reaches again, to tap his comm against Dabi's. "There," he says to Dabi with a smile, "that's a few CrImps to get you along past this 'flat broke' period and let you choose a weapon to rent or buy at Joe's." [OOC: transferred CrImps 1000 in cash directly to Dabi's comm, so he can keep it as cash or start an account or whatever he wants.]

Frank times his completion of his food to coincide with that of his companions; he'll linger over his coffee and accept refills for as long as discussion continues, and will pay all three checks and add a generous tip when the bill is presented.

Then: "I need to visit Hunter Joe's for legal armament, and recommend the same for you, Dabi. You with us, Julius? "

77topaz April 14th, 2019 07:29 AM

"I already have a taser, so I don't strictly need to go there, but I may as well tag along since we all want a grav-taxi to the same location anyway. Plus, you two probably know more about hand-held weapons than I do, so I may learn some useful knowledge."

[Can't really write much more yet without Dabi's side of the conversation...]

SanDragon April 14th, 2019 07:51 PM

"Thanks, Frank. I owe ya."

Dabi tries to be not obvious about pocketing the 'snack bar,' as he tells the waiter what he would like to have.

"A steak, of course, medium. Steak fries. The coffee should not stop."


Dabi smiles to lessen the sting.


"A bowl of salad. Ketchup. Steak sauce. Dressing... I think that's it for me."

SpaceBadger April 18th, 2019 06:38 PM

Frank times his completion of his food to coincide with that of his companions; he'll linger over his coffee and accept refills for as long as discussion continues, and will pay all three checks and add a generous tip when the bill is presented.

Then: "I need to visit Hunter Joe's for legal armament, and recommend the same for you, Dabi. You with us, Julius? "

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77topaz (Post 600805)
"I already have a taser, so I don't strictly need to go there, but I may as well tag along since we all want a grav-taxi to the same location anyway. Plus, you two probably know more about hand-held weapons than I do, so I may learn some useful knowledge."

When all have finished eating and enjoying their coffee and dessert, Frank again consults the InfoKiosk and instructs Chives, his Interface Assistant, to mark the location of Hunter Joe's and then project a standard "follow me" symbol, visible also to Dabi and Julius, to lead them to this fabled emporium of weaponry.

To save some time, Frank instructs Chives to call the shop and tell the shopkeeper/IA/whatever that he'd like to see a fine quality mil-spec Neural stun pistol, fine quality fast-draw holster fitted for same if his current holster (specs provided) don't match in all respects for usage, one power pack for the pistol and two spares, electronic interface needed to connect to HUD systems (Imperial law enforcement) in his helmet and contact lenses. For a backup, he'd also like to see their selection of body pistol sonic stunners, and will need a custom hideaway holster for same, depending on the model chosen, and possibly fitted for a "riverboat" sleeve-draw if available. Finally, he'd like to review their available stock for refreshing his supply of non-lethal crowd-control options without having to return to his ship, preferably some Tranq gas, Tangler, and Banana-Glue, all in mini grenades, with hand launcher to improve range and accuracy if available.

Maybe they'll have some of that pulled from stock and ready to look at by the time they reach the shop.

Magnus von Thornwood April 29th, 2019 03:02 PM

HUNTER JOE'S ARMS EMPORIUM!
 
Y'all finish your meal, get your leftovers if any packed up, and head off to Hunter Joe's.

When you arrive you find an Edendextu behind a counter toward the back of a shop full of displays housing weapons. The cases are rather fine and a close up examination will show their manufacturing and security systems are most definitely of a higher TL than local. The armor glass doesn't have the thickness one sees in TL-8 materials and it's more optically perfect. Clear enough that you can all the weapons are unloaded and unpowered. Also the locks are indicating a secure status.

The counters form the traditional shop U shape around the sides and back of the shop with a couple of gates. The counters are much like the display cases on the floor and contain hand weapons whereas the floor cases are long arms.

When you enter a small metal chime rings and the Edendextu looks up from a hand tablet.

"Are you the party from the starship Something Clever who paged me with a request for a variety of possible non-lethal armaments for local use?"

It waves toward the selection of pistols, holsters, and snap-draw devices.

SpaceBadger April 30th, 2019 01:44 AM

Movement! Action!
 
[Bless you, Magnus, I was afraid that Frank was going to have to drag his companions out by the scruff of their necks! ;) In fact, I just now logged on to attempt something along the lines of what you have just so neatly accomplished for us. :D ]

[Umm, what's an Edendextu? Local sophont, I'm assuming, but native here or a visitor like us Humans? Any suggestion where we might find a picture of one? Guess I'll go check Traveller Wiki...]

Frank steps forward to greet the clerk. "Yes, that was us. I actually sent you that message. I think first I'd like to see your best neuro-stunner pistol, please."

[Magnus, did you end up deciding the Neuro would have the best range, penetration, "damage," etc, since it is most advanced? Or are there equally advanced sonics? I remember posting a bunch of my late-night thoughts on pros and cons of the various stunner types, but don't recall your decision, if any. Guess I'd better go OOC and look.]

SpaceBadger May 6th, 2019 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 601249)
Frank steps forward to greet the clerk. "Yes, that was us. I actually sent you that message. I think first I'd like to see your best neuro-stunner pistol, please."

[Since the clerk hasn't responded...]
Frank moves over to the displayed items that the clerk had indicated as being selected in response to his message. He picks out and examines the best quality neuro-stunner pistol that he sees [can he touch it and pick it up, or is there a barrier?], and evaluates whether it will fit smoothly into his current holster, or require a new holster. [If he can handle the gun, he asks permission to check the fit, then takes his own pistol out and lays it on the counter so that he can try the actual fit of the stunner in his holster.]

If the gun is satisfactory, Frank tells the clerk that he will take it, along with three energy cells for it (or batteries, or whatever it uses) [, and a holster, if it didn't fit well in his]. He next asks about electronic sights for it that will be compatible with his contact lens HUD (standard Imperial LEO issue).

SanDragon May 22nd, 2019 05:41 PM

Dabi walks along the display cases with a serious look on his face, as if he knows exactly what he wants.

When he gets to the N-stunners, you see his face light up and then just as quickly frown and sigh.

"Of course the one I want will totally kill my budget. And won't cover the power cells."


"I wonder how the warnings of the S-stunner compare to the N-stunner?"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.