Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Play by Post - OOC (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=77)
-   -   imperial scout rescue service (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40181)

vegas July 13th, 2019 12:15 AM

Quote:

describe the drone
I'll describe it and the kits.

For the drone, I'm imagining Blade Runner 2049:
It's not an RC vehicle, hence "robotic", but it's not a smart AI robot; tell it what to do and it does it, one task at a time.
Its got cameras, lights, sensors, speakers, radios - all short range.

electronics tools kit:
futuristic fiberoptic magnfication tool
hand multimeter/osciliscope
hand tools, soldering iron
wires, jumpers, solder

computer spares kit:
cables, jacks, SSD, FPGA (far future equivalent) modules
handcomputer
powerpack

disaster first aid kit:
bandages, tourniquet, skin sealant
filter masks, oxygen
gloves, shears, tape

SR go bag:
fiber videoscope, wide-spectrum
fiber light guide
handheld atmosphere component detection
flashlight
crowbar
drill, saw
duct tape
cord
2x 0.5L water
5 MRE
5 mylar sleeping bag & blankets

In all reality, Nyco should be carrying the SR go bag, not Ishi, but we need this kind of stuff so if he doesn't pack it, I will.

Hey Nyco, you reading this? Take the SR go bag.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 04:52 AM

I think we carry multiple SR go bags, and since we all have medic-1, everybody carries a first aid kit when we're on the job.

As team leader, engineer, and damage control guy, I think I'll have some input on those SR kits, too. After i take another good look at the TL12 tool set threads listed above. And a good skim through some Traveller equipment lists.

vegas July 13th, 2019 09:14 AM

Quote:

I think we carry multiple SR go bags,...I think I'll have some input on those SR kits, too
Oh sure, input away SB. I just think Ishi is carrying too much stuff since he is encumberred starting at 5 kg per CT RAW so he shouldn't be carrying one but he will if he must.

My thinking about the contents of the SR go bag:
1) want to be able to see things (scopes) and shine light (flashlight & guide) in an inaccessible space
2) want manual (crowbar) and futuristic (drill, saw) tools to force open doors or busted spaces
3) food, water, warmth for a few hours for 4 survivors plus a scout in case we shelter in place for a bit (that's mostly chrome and not too likely in space, but maybe we do SR terrestrially too.)

@Fly, you got a house rule about weight?

Quote:

and since we all have medic-1, everybody carries a first aid kit when we're on the job.
Yup, that is why I added a first aid kit to my load out. Jaxson better carry a full on trauma pack.

PS -

Ha! I see my "robotic drone" is a larger version (say, softball thru basketball size) of SB's "remote sensor" (1cm sphere) in his engineering tool kit. I imagine a remote sensor is for accessing inaccessible machine parts, while the robotic drone is for accessing inaccessible people and spaces.

I'll stick a couple of his little guys in my electronics tool kit.

Quote:

Remote Sensor - TL 12 - .1 kg - Cr200. These 1cm diameter spheres have spiderlike legs to let them crawl into tiny crevices and spaces hard to reach, and carry a variety of sensors to relay information to the work station, Hand Computer, or Work Goggles. These are not autonomous robots, but must be controlled from the Hand Computer or work station. These also carry LED lights, and extensible fiber optics to see or shine light into spaces that are too small for even the Remote Sensor to reach. (At higher TLs these Remote Sensors would probably be floaters, but I don't think TL 12 has gravitics that small.)
That is a VERY dense little sensor, SB, more than 10x solid lead. I think the weight should be negligible, less than 10g.

I think you probably always want a magnetic walker in space applications, because you are too likely to be without gravity or air, so legs are the best all-purpose mobility.

Shadow Shack July 13th, 2019 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604094)
Shadow Shack please specify ammo (thought to be) available to Nyco.

I have everything specced out in the gallery, let me know if anything isn't kosher for the game and I can adjust/modify/delete as needed:

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...dex.php?n=2816

flykiller July 13th, 2019 03:34 PM

Quote:

Fly, you got a house rule about weight?
absolutely. the players track the weight - if I'm tracking your weight I won't have time to run the game. just look over your equipment and add it up - "that's a pound, that's three pounds, that's two" - and see if it's reasonable. be aware I prefer "realism" so if glancing up and down at your equipment list it seems to me you're encumbered or outright overloaded then I'll adjust your movement, tasks, and other outcomes appropriately - and I may not tell you why.

oh, please note that some equipments would be in protective cases, making some of it quite bulky to carry if cased and quite vulnerable to impact damage if not cased.

(I recall one d&d player who said he had an entire wagon train following him around carrying all of his stores supplies and equipments, inexplicably including a red dragon's head. on the player finally making this clear to the dm he ruled that bandits attacked the train and carried off all of it.)

Quote:

robots, sensors
the smallest independently mobile system you'll have will be no smaller than a cat.

Quote:

tell it what to do and it does it, one task at a time.
(grin) interpretive compiler, eh? you'll have to be very careful about scope and definitions, and it may interpret your instructions very literally.

Quote:

in the gallery
seems acceptable, glancing over that it looks like about 55 lbs.

Shadow Shack July 13th, 2019 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 604189)
seems acceptable, glancing over that it looks like about 55 lbs.

Pretty close to what I got once I broke it all down...with the overwhelming majority of it being the backpack/gear which is stowed in the cabin and not necessarily all carried at once unless he's between jobs etc as that represents his "worldly possessions". :cool:

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vegas (Post 604133)
[re Remote Sensors from the Ship's Engineer tool set:]

I'll stick a couple of his little guys in my electronics tool kit.

That is a VERY dense little sensor, SB, more than 10x solid lead. I think the weight should be negligible, less than 10g.

I think you probably always want a magnetic walker in space applications, because you are too likely to be without gravity or air, so legs are the best all-purpose mobility.

I think a few of them (given the small size) would be handy in any of the toolkits, as would a few of the smaller reach/grab/hold tools described by atpollard. Engineer's Goggles would also be universally useful for anybody doing maintenance/repair work, unless they have their own more specialized substitute (eye protection, PRIS, magnification, relay for remote sensors, HUD for any data you need while your hands are busy...).

Density, hmm. Agreed. That was just a PIOTAG; .01kg would be better, slightly less than lead, rounding the volume off to 1cc and assuming it is crammed full of future tech sensors, LED light, fiber optic extension to see into places even the 1cm ball won't fit, tiny little spider legs... Or yeah, negligible works fine for me, too.

I intentionally didn't specify the grips for this tiny spider legs. Maybe combination: magnetic, itty-bitty-nano-fractal hooks, gekko-grip, whatever.

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 09:34 PM

I'm not a real Engineer or Damage Control guy, but I play a guy experienced and skilled at both, so would appreciate OOC suggestions along the way.

For example, it seems to me that our team needs several at least, maybe different sized, of future tech Jaws of Life for when you need to physically cut through something (or spread it apart) rather than cutting through with handy plasma torch such as used for metalworking.

Seems to me these are x-shaped w pivot in the middle, made out of strongest superduperhyperbonded stuff you've got for rigid non-bending strength, with sharp cutting edges that can pivot to be flat clamping/spreading edges. Obviously these don't operate off the strength of the user, and hydraulic can be real inconvenient w hoses etc, so I'm thinking magnetic where all you need is a power supply. Not at the cut/grab/spreader end, but at the other end of the X, where the hands would grip if this thing were muscle-powered. The magnetic system can either pull the "grip" ends together or repel them apart, in carefully controlled increments, depending on whether you want the working end to compress/grab/crush/cut or expand/spread/tear apart.

Sound useful? Suggestions, refinements?

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 10:04 PM

Another item of equipment, for whenever it is necessary to have a temporary passage from a pressurized to non-pressurized area (airlock failure, had to cut our way in, whatever):

PassWall (or PassLock, TempLock, somebody come up w better name!)
This item never actually contains or pumps any atmo, unlike a regular airlock. Its sole intended purpose is to allow someone in vaccsuit to pass from the pressurized area to the unpressurized area, or vice versa, with minimum wastage of atmo, where no functioning airlock is available. The PassWall is sealed across the opening. Someone in a vaccsuit unseals the envelope from their side and steps in, then seals it up behind them. Then the person unseals the other side of the envelope and steps out, resealing the envelope behind them. Kinda like an airlock, but without any Air in the lock.

Yeah, kinda slow to use. This is for the recovery/fixing stage post-immediate emergency, I think.

Maybe too clunky? Likely to snag equipment going through? Better off just framing up a temp airlock and pump air in and out when passing through?

SpaceBadger July 13th, 2019 10:34 PM

Important Qs for flykiller before I can make my next IC post:

1) Is most of our gear stowed on our boat/ship, or do we have it with us in base and need to load up all gear for each call-out?

2) Are we getting on a Boat to take us to a Ship to go Jump somewhere, or just operating insystem with a Boat? Or do we not know yet and are supposed to be prepared for either?

3) Do we have our own assigned Boat/Ship, or share w other teams and take luck of the draw for which one gets assigned to us?