Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] OOC Discussion: Chapter 01 (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30671)

SpaceBadger September 14th, 2013 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 453125)
I'd prefer the potential use of force to cut through all the red tape involved if the courts and lawyers take over.

Back when I was representing abused and neglected kids in juvenile court, there were several especially heinous abuse cases that I was tempted to resolve in that way, but I restrained myself out of a sense of responsibility to my own family - wouldn't do them much good to have Daddy in DoC doing LWOP. (BTW, just out of curiosity, can modern ballistics do anything to match buckshot back to the shotgun it was fired from, or do they have to resolve shotgun killings without that kind of evidence? :devil:]

DaveChase September 14th, 2013 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 453160)
Sorry, didn't see this before I posted the landing - but containers are being offloaded, handled as if empty. Does someone wants to replay Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves by going over to pour boiling oil into each one just in case? :devil:

Too old fashion. Just need to gas them all with deadly to human stuff. Then shoot them full of xrays followed up by radiation. You know standard infestation procedures to make sure that there are no vermin aboard. ;)

SpaceBadger September 14th, 2013 06:01 PM

Sprint Chopper VTOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 453155)
Once cleared and confirmed for landing, the VTOL moves in toward Dresnik and lands in the parking lot. Dresnik employees w grav lifters come out to the aircraft to begin moving containers into the big-L building.

Abt 1645 local, Donoma picks up another approaching ground vehicle; visual zoom shows it appears to be a delivery van from Devonia City Parcel Service.

[OOC: The VTOL has big shrouded turbofans, one in each wing. The shrouds improve efficiency. I've seen this design referred to as a coleopter. This is an enlarged version of the sprint choppers from Dean Ing's "Single Combat" optimized for carrying heavy cargo. It can VTOL, hover in air, maneuver very precisely, even fly backwards at the hands of a skilled pilot.]

EDIT: I'll try to find a good pic on the VTOL; I checked wiki for coleopter and they just had a post-WW2 research version that looks totally different. The kind that Ing described is apparently not in current production that I can find, but I want to find a pic to illustrate bc you will encounter them a lot in this campaign on worlds that don't have many grav vehicles, bc supposedly these are more efficient, less tricky to maneuver, and faster in level flight than helicopters. I think they'd see a lot of use on colonies as substitutes for grav vehicles, maintainable at lower tech levels, while still not needed a whole airstrip to land on.

OK, here's a pic from the book:

http://bearpapa.pair.com/spacebadger...at-DeanIng.JPG

According to the book, each wing and attached shrouded fan is independently maneuverable, so it could even pull that Crazy Ivan stunt from Firefly ep 1 without much trouble. :cool: Ing was an aircraft designer before turning SF writer, so I would hope that his aircraft designs should be pretty reliable.

SpaceBadger September 14th, 2013 06:51 PM

Arg! :eek: I decided to work some more on the Wiki this evening, and was going to finish my write-up on Freehold, but when I go there all I see is the initial description - none of the historical stuff that I remember writing, about business practices and how they interpret LL:0 in their system.

I know I wrote that stuff, so I wonder if maybe instead of the Wiki it was in an email or PM to someone? I'm searching for it now, but if any of you have received Freehold info from me that might be the part I am looking for, please let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: OK, found that some of the stuff I remembered writing was on Nexus, not Freehold, but that definitely would not include the parts about Freehold's interpretation of LL:0, as Nexus is at the other end of the spectrum with LL:A. I'm pretty sure I must have written that stuff in an email to someone, but still can't find it.

DaveChase September 14th, 2013 07:16 PM

For things of any importance to me, I never write on the internet first. I always use notepad or word and write it up, save it then post it on the internet.

Dave Chase

SpaceBadger September 14th, 2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 453169)
For things of any importance to me, I never write on the internet first. I always use notepad or word and write it up, save it then post it on the internet.

Dave Chase

And I generally follow that policy as well, but unfortunately can't find the Freehold info anywhere, so am thinking it must have been in discussion w somebody. Sometimes I get rolling like that are run off several paragraphs of stuff that I want to use later - if only I can find it again! :(

EDIT: Both Donoma and Kalos had some Freehold connections in backstory, so I thought it might have been in discussion w one of them, but cannot find it right now.

EDIT 2: I finally decided to quit searching for wherever I wrote that Freehold stuff before, and am proceeding with new material and rewrites of old: Freehold. Still, if you find that I sent you that old stuff, please let me know as there may be something I can salvage. :)

sabredog September 14th, 2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 453161)
(BTW, just out of curiosity, can modern ballistics do anything to match buckshot back to the shotgun it was fired from, or do they have to resolve shotgun killings without that kind of evidence? :devil:]

No, not really unless it is a rifled shotgun. Those are rarer in my side of the country, though, being an East Coast kinda gun.

But there would be tool marks on the expended shells that can be matched to the weapon, and in spite of what you see in movies and TV, tool marks (pin strikes, extractor marks, etc.) are the more common factor in gun matching. Bullets can fragment and deform and only the Dark Knight has the computers that can reconstruct something from that kind of damage.

SpaceBadger September 14th, 2013 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 453175)
No, not really unless it is a rifled shotgun. Those are rarer in my side of the country, though, being an East Coast kinda gun.

But there would be tool marks on the expended shells that can be matched to the weapon, and in spite of what you see in movies and TV, tool marks (pin strikes, extractor marks, etc.) are the more common factor in gun matching. Bullets can fragment and deform and only the Dark Knight has the computers that can reconstruct something from that kind of damage.

So then, careful collection and destruction/disposal of expended shell casings is the key. Good to know, good to know. :devil:

Fritz_Brown September 14th, 2013 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 453181)
So then, careful collection and destruction/disposal of expended shell casings is the key. Good to know, good to know. :devil:

Oh yeah, any competent wiseguy knows to police his brass up (or use a throw-away). It's why I prefer caseless ammunition for all my assassinations. Oops, did I say that on an open forum? :smirk:

BTW, I like that ducted fan design. I can't remember the reasons for the open 'copter design on the Osprey, but I think it had to with power and torque on the wing/rotation sleeves. We have better materials now and I bet it would be doable this way.

Unless you let a computer do almost all of the work, though (and a lot of folks think that is a BAD idea - others trust MS/Google with their private data and go on the internet logged into an administrator account), the more thrust points you put on the craft, the harder it is to control on account of more controls to manipulate. So, more skill involved in flying it really well. Actually, if Donoma has seen those operating around here, then she is probably a little envious.

Oh, and my group did encounter the pirates.... However, they figured out how to trap them so they didn't have to fight them (dangit!). But, they also screwed up by answering the comm call. So... they got the hostages out on the old cutter, while the other half of the crew hoofed it across the surface to their ship, and loaded just in time to have a space battle that started out nape-of-the-earth. The guy with gunner-0 managed to roll two critical hits on the pirate ship (crew, then powerplant) and they are now figuring out how to get the pirate ship powered back up and land it back on the moon and regroup. Oh, and one hostage tried to betray them - we had a PC go down (but survive - only had one stat go exactly to 0 due to "first blood" rule) but he nailed the bad guy. Now he's getting love and attention from the two young female hostages. :D

SpaceBadger September 15th, 2013 01:24 AM

I never did find the stuff that I wrote before on Freehold, but hope that I have re-created it fairly well from memory, plus a lot of new stuff beside.

I know y'all aren't scheduled to hit Freehold soon (although you could, depending on what all you do at Nexus), but here is the Wiki entry on Freehold for those interested (especially Fritz and ErianFrost, whose characters have some backstory there and should know a bit about the place).

I still have a few sections to fill on local biology and customs and a planetary map, but I'm finished for tonight and probably won't add any more until it looks like you might be going there.