Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Can you publish Traveller Fiction? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=40080)

Spinward Scout May 26th, 2019 12:53 AM

Can you publish Traveller Fiction?

I've been wondering if you can publish Traveller fiction. Would someone need a license or something? Would it have to be approved for Traveller? If it's not something that's game system compatible, how could something like that get published?

Blue Ghost May 26th, 2019 01:57 AM

Ten years ago this was the very thing Hunter and I were discussing, but at the time when T20 was in full swing, he stated "they" needed adventures. They meaning him and anyone who was in his employ, but that publishing T-fic was on the distant beyond-visual-range radar. I was under the impression that I could have with him.

Spinward Scout May 27th, 2019 04:11 PM

Ok thanks.

Winged Cat May 27th, 2019 07:12 PM

These days, I'd take that question to Mongoose Publishing. They have the license and they are actively publishing Traveller fiction. If you have good stories, they might be willing to publish your works.

aramis May 28th, 2019 12:08 AM

Yes, you need a license from Marc Miller to use the OTU, the Traveller trademarks, and/or the Traveller distinctive looks (The 3I starburst, the shattered starburst, the black with colored line covers in specific fonts or ones close to those specific ones.

It doesn't matter what the content is (story, novel, supplement, setting book).

Note that existing licenses may prevent him from licensing out certain types of items to others.

Spinward Scout May 28th, 2019 01:39 AM

Thanks.

ShapeShifter May 29th, 2019 12:42 AM

I would write a Dumarest saga novel -- but with the serial numbers filed off. Call him Fatestop or Banehalt instead. :rofl:

timerover51 May 29th, 2019 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShapeShifter (Post 602252)
I would write a Dumarest saga novel -- but with the serial numbers filed off. Call him Fatestop or Banehalt instead. :rofl:

I would say write something original that feels right for yourself. I have read a couple of follow-ons by other writers of Andre Norton's books and also James Schmitz. Neither of them worked very well, and I viewed both as inferior to the original books, by a fairly large margin.

Maksim-Smelchak May 29th, 2019 11:46 AM

Mongoose and FFE both have n interest in publishing Trav Fiction.

Mongoose has already started doing it.

FFE is still gearing up.

If you would like to publish through FFE or acquire and independent license then you should write to FFE or me and we can get one worked out for you.

Shalom,
M.

Crabbis June 14th, 2019 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maksim-Smelchak (Post 602270)
Mongoose and FFE both have n interest in publishing Trav Fiction.

Mongoose has already started doing it.

FFE is still gearing up.

If you would like to publish through FFE or acquire and independent license then you should write to FFE or me and we can get one worked out for you.

Shalom,
M.

What are your requirements for issuing a license, Maksim?