Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   GURPS Traveller (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=65)
-   -   GT Universe Only: Character kits and CP values (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=34895)

jaz0nj4ckal September 2nd, 2015 10:40 PM

Character kits and CP values
 
Folks,
Just purchased the GURPS version of Traveller - just out o curiosity. One thing I do not understand are the CP value of the templates.

Lets say that the max CP a starting character can have is 100CP, but I noticed a few character templates have only 75 - 80 CP, where the soldier has 100CP.

To make the other character template attractive - do you give unallocated CP to the template, and the player can invest them where their want?

I am not getting this - because as a player if the max point system is 100CP, and my template is only using 80CP, I would feel that I am being cheated, since I have 20 unallocated CP.

Not sure if I would ever use the GURPS system - little clueless as to the point buy of CP, but it did seem complete.

thank you

aramis September 3rd, 2015 12:36 AM

You get to add additional skills and advantages to make up the difference. The templates are not "ready to run".

Ronnke September 3rd, 2015 12:48 AM

The GM will decide on the power level s/he wants characters to be (eg 100pts basic characters, 200+ for veteran heroes, 500+ for truly legendary characters). All players will have this amount of points to spend on their characters. The player may choose to build off a template (in all or part), or build their character from scratch if they want something a more specific/tailored. The templates themselves are just a guide to the sort of traits a stereotypical class of character will have. If you were going to build a soldier who was also a medic, then you would select elements from both templates. The templates are for creating quick, cookie cutter, characters.

When the player has the concept of the character they wish to make, then they will spend points on stats, advantages and skills for that character. They can also opt to add some flavour/personality to their characters by selecting disadvantages and quirks, this gives them additional points they can spend. When you add all the positive traits (high stats, skills, advantages) and subtract the negative traits (low stats, disadvantages, quirks), your final character total should equal the power level the GM has chosen.

GURPS is character centric, you have the flexibility to make any type of character you want, as a result there is a lot of detail that can go into character creation, should you chose it. Otherwise, you can simply choose a template and play.

If you are unfamiliar with GURPS and want to get a better understanding, then I suggest you download the free “GURPS Lite” PDF.

Hope that helps.

jaz0nj4ckal September 4th, 2015 08:37 PM

Does the GURPS system feel like CT? I like the retro aspect of how CT feels, and a lot is up to the GM to decide. The latter does make it difficult sometimes; however, I like the openness of it.


thank you

aramis September 4th, 2015 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal (Post 516048)
Does the GURPS system feel like CT? I like the retro aspect of how CT feels, and a lot is up to the GM to decide. The latter does make it difficult sometimes; however, I like the openness of it.


thank you

Not particularly. GURPS tends to be a fairly detailed ruleset, tho the lite version is useable enough in that mode. Further, GURPS Traveller supplements seem to have been focused upon filling in all those "left to the Ref" details from CT.

jaz0nj4ckal September 6th, 2015 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 516050)
Not particularly. GURPS tends to be a fairly detailed ruleset, tho the lite version is useable enough in that mode. Further, GURPS Traveller supplements seem to have been focused upon filling in all those "left to the Ref" details from CT.

Hi Aramis - So we took your advise and tried GURPS Lite, and one player did bring the two core books. Between the three resources we tried our hand at GURPS. You are right - it is a little too detailed for my liking; however, I was able to strip some items out - I did not have general NPC make dodge rolls (don't really understand the dodge roll, and why it can't be calculated into hit to speed up dice rolling) , and limited the skills.

In addition, it might be due to my first time with GURPS, but the autofire rules are a little detailed, all that extra lead flying around.

All-in-all I liked the experience, but I'm not sure if I would run it again.

Can you offer any recommendation to use the GURP system, but scale back the detailness of it? I like the idea of the system, but a little too detailed for me and my group.

thanks

aramis September 6th, 2015 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal (Post 516147)
Hi Aramis - So we took your advise and tried GURPS Lite, and one player did bring the two core books. Between the three resources we tried our hand at GURPS. You are right - it is a little too detailed for my liking; however, I was able to strip some items out - I did not have general NPC make dodge rolls (don't really understand the dodge roll, and why it can't be calculated into hit to speed up dice rolling) , and limited the skills.

In addition, it might be due to my first time with GURPS, but the autofire rules are a little detailed, all that extra lead flying around.

All-in-all I liked the experience, but I'm not sure if I would run it again.

Can you offer any recommendation to use the GURP system, but scale back the detailness of it? I like the idea of the system, but a little too detailed for me and my group.

thanks

I don't recommend GURPS, period.

Ronnke September 6th, 2015 06:56 PM

I highly recommend GURPS, simply because of its flexibility, it will handle any character concept, in any genre you or your players conceive. GURPS is a toolkit system, designed to be scaled to suit the player’s style. You can play simple and rules-lite, up to detailed stimulation style play. Many new players make the mistake of turning all the dials and find themselves somewhat overwhelmed. It usually takes a little time to find your comfort zone.

There is a book published for GURPS which goes a long way to helping you find that comfort zone. "How to Be a GURPS GM", is very useful for both new and veteran players.

There is also a YouTube series created by, Nolinquisitor, which I highly recommend. It's a step by step introduction to the system.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...qKtTqQZFwfZB2g

I came from CT, during the before time, started playing GURPS around the 90's and it slowly became my go to system for all my roleplaying. It became the last system I ever needed to learn (as a GM).

Side note, the autofire rules are really quite simple.

Decide how many shots you are firing, up to the weapons Rate of Fire (Rof), then make a single roll on your modified guns skill. One bullet will hit if you succeed the skill roll. You score additional hits based on the margin of your success, divided by your weapons Recoil (Rcl), round down.

eg.
Modified Guns Skill = 14.
Say you rolled a 7.
The Margin of Success is (skill 14 - roll 7) = Succeed by 7.
Your weapon has an Rcl of 2.

The result:
1 bullet hit for a successful roll.
3 additional hits calculated on the margin of success divided by the recoil (7 divide 2, round down).
Total of 4 hits.

If the victim of your aggression knew the attack was coming, they may attempt a Dodge. They will dodge 1 bullet for a successful roll and additional bullets, equal to the margin of success.

eg.
Dodge of 9
Roll 8
1 bullet dodged for a success
1 additional bullet dodged for the margin of success (dodge 9 - roll 8 = 1)

So in this sample encounter, your victim will be hit by 2 of the total 4 bullets and will be less than happy.

Ronnke September 6th, 2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaz0nj4ckal (Post 516147)
Can you offer any recommendation to use the GURP system, but scale back the detailness of it? I like the idea of the system, but a little too detailed for me and my group.

- Ignore the advanced/tactical combat chapters, don't even open this section of the rules. If you want to play detail lite, then you really don't need anything more than the GURPS Lite book.

- For cinematic style, fast play, all non-consequential NPCs automatically fail defense, consciousness and death rolls.

- Ignore the detailed range modifiers and use the range band rules.
Short (-3), Medium (-7), Long (-11), and Extreme (-15).

- Ignore hit locations (however they can be fun...Boom! Headshot!)

jaz0nj4ckal September 15th, 2015 06:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ronnke (Post 516166)
- Ignore the advanced/tactical combat chapters, don't even open this section of the rules. If you want to play detail lite, then you really don't need anything more than the GURPS Lite book.

- For cinematic style, fast play, all non-consequential NPCs automatically fail defense, consciousness and death rolls.

- Ignore the detailed range modifiers and use the range band rules.
Short (-3), Medium (-7), Long (-11), and Extreme (-15).

- Ignore hit locations (however they can be fun...Boom! Headshot!)

Hi Ronnke - thanks for the insight. I followed your suggestions and have been using GURPS Lite to do some fantasy stuff. But let me ask few questions on GURPS in Sci-Fi. How can I speed up autofire? I saw your above post, and do not feel like doing all the math and dealing with the extra bullets, and additional dice rolls. Due to the latter, would it be possible to have a simple system for additional damage like in traveler? I am willing to give up some of the detail of autofire rules for just some simplicity during attacks.

Currently, I am giving my players the following options on autofire: +5 points of damage, or +1 per dice - whatever is better. I saw something else in GURPS Lite handle something else like this, so I thought it was a fitting method.

Also - yes I did ditch the dodge roll, and HT rolls for my NPC.

Looking for some house-rule GURPS suggestions.

thanks


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:48 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.