Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Cleon Memorial Library (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=133)
-   -   [Semi-OT] CritiqueCircle (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=41516)

Leitz November 10th, 2020 10:40 AM

[Semi-OT] CritiqueCircle

Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.

ShawnDriscoll November 24th, 2020 07:26 PM

Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.

Tiikeri December 8th, 2020 02:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll (Post 618877)
Interesting. I just recently bought some writing software so I could write Traveller adventures.

Which writing software did you get?

whartung December 8th, 2020 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShawnDriscoll (Post 618877)

Does it work? Did the software write Traveller adventures?

Proneutron December 8th, 2020 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 618189)
Hey all, for those of us who want to improve our writing craft, (and some of us really need improvement!) CritiqueCircle is useful. You submit a story and get feedback from various other members.

There's a free level you can join at, and the system works on the concept of "credits". You start off with enough credits to submit one story and you can earn credits by critiquing other's work. Most of the pieces are in the 1K-3K range, and you need to write a decent (300+ words) critique, but it becomes easy to do after a few tries.

How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?

Fovean December 9th, 2020 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Proneutron (Post 619375)
How many of the "critics" are successfully published authors?

Does that really matter? It seems the point of the OP was to offer an opportunity for new and unestablished writers to help each other and learn to grow together.

As someone who has written a Traveller adventure that was actually published, and then subsequently failed to deliver on more ambitious ideas, I’d say check it out before you throw shade.

Writing is hard. There’s no software that will make it easy.

Leitz December 10th, 2020 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fovean (Post 619402)
Does that really matter? It seems the point of the OP was to offer an opportunity for new and unestablished writers to help each other and learn to grow together.

As someone who has written a Traveller adventure that was actually published, and then subsequently failed to deliver on more ambitious ideas, I’d say check it out before you throw shade.

Writing is hard. There’s no software that will make it easy.

I have gotten great insights because they do not think like me. They often catch descriptions I'm lacking (I can see it in my head, but never remembered to write it down) and let me know if each chapter holds their interest. While I might not be on the best-seller list (yet!) I'm producing fun stories that fit in a Traveller mindset.

Having a published author rave over my work would be nice, but it ain't likely to happen. I'm good with that, too. Have you read some of the published work out there? I've got books in my genre that I can't even get past a few chapters on. Good grief! One of them was "recommended by" an author I enjoy, and another one was actually by an author I read. It was just that book start and set up was not happening for me.

On the other hand, I have a guy on CC whose writing I enjoy and he gives me useful critique on my work. It's not "oh, you write so well" but "this doesn't make sense, explain it" stuff. Real gold, for us writers.

whartung December 11th, 2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leitz (Post 619449)
On the other hand, I have a guy on CC whose writing I enjoy and he gives me useful critique on my work. It's not "oh, you write so well" but "this doesn't make sense, explain it" stuff. Real gold, for us writers.

And if nothing else, there's folks actually reading what you write. Which alone can be helpful, no matter how skilled the critic.

Tiikeri December 12th, 2020 03:16 AM

I pay good money to editors to tell me how bad my writing is.

AtlanticFriend February 16th, 2021 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiikeri (Post 619463)
I pay good money to editors to tell me how bad my writing is.

Meh. I could do that for half the price, if that's what you're really after! :D