Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Space Badger's Reaver's Deep (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   [SBRD] IC Game: Chapter 01 (Devonia) (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=30816)

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 10:24 PM

[SBRD] IC Game: Chapter 01 (Devonia)
 
[SBRD] Reavers' Deep - The Game Begins!

The Players

Onboard the Fortunate Son:
Sabredog - Hampton Rhodes, Captain and Pilot
ErianFrost - Kalos Thar, First Officer and Pilot/Navigator
ATPollard - Max Black, Chief Engineer and Chief Steward
DaveChase - Doc Freeman, Medical Officer and Cargo Chief
Samuelvss - Leo P. Henry, Asst Engineer and Security
ChaosBennett - Gayne Maize, Asst Medic and Security
NPC - Janna Vilshiggur, Steward and Cargo-hand
NPC - Benjamin Chance, Gunner and Cargo-hand
NPC - Bruno Kansakarrir, Electrician/Mechanic and Cargo-hand
"Grounded" on Devonia:
Fritz_Brown - Donoma Lafitte, Navigator Extraordinaire
Unknown:
LiNeNoIse - no character submitted for approval yet
The Setting

This is not the familiar Third Imperium in which you may have played your Traveller games before; in fact, the Third Imperium won't even exist for another 790 years. This setting is in the year 3731 AD, a little over halfway through the period that will be known throughout Human space as The Long Night. There is no vast governmental authority in Human space, only small multi-world governments and solitary worlds making their own way the best they can.

Interstellar commerce is a mere trickle of what it has been in the past and will someday be again. In many places, pirates prey on what little commerce there is; in the rimward areas of Human space, whole worlds and governments have taken up the trade of piracy on a huge scale, raiding and looting other worlds. Some will call these forces Pirate Worlds, some will call them Space Vikings, but the name that most evokes their heyday has also become the name of the sector where many originate: Reavers' Deep!

Originally called Riftrim Deep for its proximity to the "Thumb" of the Great Rift, Reavers' Deep in 3731 AD is a vast, wild frontier among the stars. There are a few genuinely native sapient species here, and a few more minor Human sub-species that were seeded here 300,000 years ago by those known today as The Ancients. The great Vilani Empire, also known as the Ziru Sirka or First Imperium, never quite made it to this sector but stopped in Daibei sector immediately to trailing. Actual colonization of the Deep did not begin until Terran Humans met Vilani Humans in the Interstellar Wars, about 1600 years ago.

Colonizers during the Interstellar Wars were either isolationists seeking to avoid the wars, refugees seeking to escape from them, or military expeditions seeking strategic advantage. Later, after Terran victory in the Nth Interstellar War led to the collapse of the First Imperium, the Terrans declared a Second Imperium, the Rule of Man. That entity governed for less than 500 years, but during that time several new worlds in the Deep were colonized from nearby Daibei sector. That was the last wave of Human colonization into the Deep... until now.

Within the past hundred years a new wave of colonization has been spreading into the Deep from Daibei. Although many of these new colonies have fallen prey to the pirate gangs still known as Reavers, the prime era of legendary Reavers such as Blackie Duquesne and Admiral Izanak has passed, and many beings in the region are sensing a new era of hope, as multi-world governments formed to defend against Reavers now join to create leagues and associations to promote interstellar commerce.

The largest and strongest power in the region is the Imperial Realm of Daibei, a group of worlds in the middle of Daibei sector still claiming loyalty to the old Rule of Man, although ruled locally by the Viceroy of Daibei. Smaller governments abound throughout Daibei sector, and a few have even formed in Reavers' Deep. Unfortunately, the largest of the growing powers in the Deep itself is the Drexiltharan Empire, which continues the old practice of raiding other worlds for what it wants, robbing and enslaving in the darkest Reaver traditions.

This is the place and time that you now enter, as the crew of the frontier trader Fortunate Son.

The Ship (Specs and Deckplan)

Fortunate Son was formerly Close Call, a frontier trader making the circuit of great worlds and isolated backwaters in the middle of Daibei sector, throughout the Imperial Realm of Daibei and its many smaller neighbors. The Captain of Close Call had a well-earned reputation for dishonest dealing, and his practices caught up to him on Garkenbaaggi (Daibei 1221), late in the month of March, 3731 AD. While the Captain was being lynched by an angry mob, Hampton Rhodes decided to take the ship to space with the remainder of the crew, and to promote himself from First Officer to Captain.

Some of the old crew (including all of the other officers except for the Chief Engineer, young Max Black) quit and left the ship at its next stop, on Egarnigun (Daibei 1223), but Captain Rhodes persevered and recruited new crew, including Medical Officer Doc Freeman and Assistant Engineer Leo P. Henry. Rhodes also paid to have the name and registry of Close Call changed to Fortunate Son and a new transponder installed to match, and decided to take the ship to new trading grounds in Reavers' Deep.

Although he declined the responsibility of an officer's position, Leo Henry was a qualified pilot and could occasionally relieve Rhodes and give him some rest. Still, it was a vast relief to the Captain when the ship visited Zwingle (Daibei 1024) and he was able to recruit a new First Officer Pilot/Navigator, Kalos Thar, as well as an Assistant Medic and Security Specialist, Gayne Maize.

As our story begins, the Fortunate Son has completed its journey across the spinward portion of Daibei sector and is in jump space bound for Devonia (Reavers' Deep 3125), its first port-of-call in the Deep. Fortunate Son is carrying four passengers and some freight bound for Devonia, along with a good load of speculative cargo with which the crew hopes to make its fortune. But before the ship exits jump space, let's skip ahead a bit to the world of Devonia...

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 10:25 PM

Date: 09 August 3731 AD

Spacer Donoma Lafitte has been "grounded" on Devonia since she resigned her First Officer's position on her last ship, the Mary Deare. That was almost three months ago, and Donoma fears that she made the wrong choice of a world for mustering out, as she has been unable to find any new berth to her liking on any of the few ships that call on Devonia. Perhaps she should have taken passage back into Daibei sector, where ship traffic is heavier...

Now she is down to her last savings, wondering where next month's rent will come from. She would almost consider selling her beloved grav bike, except that what little income she has here is from running package errands on the bike, which can earn her premium rates with its speed and versatility here on this world where even standard grav vehicles are rare. Why, one delivery customer even offered her a job with his carnival, just to fly her bike and do tricks in the air above the Midway!

[OOC: OK, what will Donoma do now?]

[Does she have a listing for Employment Wanted at the starport, or does she just keep an eye open for arrivals and check them out herself?]

[I left it open on whether or not she accepted the carnival job; if you think she would have liked that, feel free to add it to your story; otherwise, just let it go.]

[During her time on Devonia, Donoma has developed a few contacts and friends, and has some ideas for ways to make good money with a ship in this area. I will email those to you so that you can decide how to share them with the others in roleplay.]

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 10:28 PM

Date: 09 August 3731 AD

Back aboard Fortunate Son, everyone knows that jump exit should be coming soon, and anticipation is high. Finally, it comes, and naturally it comes during shipboard "night shift" when many of the crew and passengers are asleep.

With jump exit approaching it is standard practice to have the Bridge manned at all times. Leo P. Henry has been standing an occasional Bridge watch in addition to his duties as Assistant Engineer, just to relieve Captain Rhodes and First Officer Thar of the tiring alternate watches. Now a small indicator on his workstation begins to flash, indicating the beginning of transition from jump space back into real space.

Elsewhere aboard Fortunate Son:

Max Black, Gayne Maize, Janna Vilshiggur, and Bruno Kansakarrir are snacking and playing cards at the table in the Crew Common Area.

[OOC: I will leave it up to y'all what you are playing, and whether or not money is involved.]

Hampton Rhodes, Kalos Thar, Doc Freeman, and Benjamin Chance are all in their own staterooms, asleep.

Passengers Scott Jarvanigar, Miklos Thanning, David Verchanski, and Sethra Lavode are all in their own staterooms, asleep.

Different individuals show different sensitivity to jump transition. "Groundhogs" often get nauseated and sick, while spacers usually get over that with experience. Even those who do not become ill may be awakened by the transition effects.

[OOC: Someone in the card game will definitely notice the transition. I'll leave it up to the players of sleeping PCs whether or not their PCs awaken, and how it affects them.]

OK, what do y'all do next?

ChaosBennett August 9th, 2013 11:00 PM

Am I winning?

sabredog August 9th, 2013 11:06 PM

Hampton's alarm wakes him up a couple hours before the jump clock says we are going to drop into realspace and punches up Devonia on the computer to refresh his memory on what the place is like and what the markets might be like for our speculative cargo...

...which was....(shuffle through papers on clipboard....)...??

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448173)
Hampton's alarm wakes him up a couple hours before the jump clock says we are going to drop into realspace

[OOC: Umm... I think you mean he is awakened by the transition from jump space into real space. No way of knowing exactly when that will be in order to set an alarm.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448173)
and punches up Devonia on the computer to refresh his memory on what the place is like and what the markets might be like for our speculative cargo...

...which was....(shuffle through papers on clipboard....)...??

[OOC: Patience, patience! I had to work like a mad man to get this far tonight, and y'all haven't even determined how far out the ship is from Devonia yet, or what encounters might happen on the way in.

I rolled Henry as the guy on Bridge duty, so I kinda need to hear from him to proceed...

Devonia and its markets can wait til tomorrow! :D ]

SpaceBadger August 9th, 2013 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosBennett (Post 448170)
Am I winning?

Max is slightly ahead, Gayne is next, neither Janna nor Bruno are doing very well.

Are y'all playing for money or just chips?

[OOC: if money, I don't want to roll any further until we hear from Max!]

sabredog August 9th, 2013 11:21 PM

Yeah, you right...it must be my hypertuned cat-like senses telling me that space is thinning and wavering around us and a sense of preeminence is waking me up.

I decide looking over the charts is premature for such a fine "morning" and pour myself a drink, and pull out the latest potboiler pulp classic about a Vargr crime squad working homicide on the edges of Aslan space called "Hell Hounds". I'll wait till we drop out before checking the bridge, then the passengers.

ErianFrost August 9th, 2013 11:33 PM

Kalos will get up and, groggily rubbing the sleep from his eyes, start getting dressed. Then he'll make his way to the common area to grab some chow.

ChaosBennett August 10th, 2013 12:01 AM

Um... I accuse Max of cheating.

ChaosBennett August 10th, 2013 12:19 AM

Rather than start a ruckus, I simply decide to stop playing with him and... start asking people if we're there yet.

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosBennett (Post 448182)
Um... I accuse Max of cheating.

Bruno laughs and tosses a handful of chips at Gayne. "Yeah, right. Quit goofing around man; do you feel that vibe in the air? My mojo tells me we are coming out of Jump."

Janna nods. "Yeah, I think I'm gonna check out the Bridge and see what's kicking, then get some shut-eye before we hit dirt." She speaks aloud to the Crew IA, "Please set main viewscreen in crew commons to Bridge view."

The viewscreen wipes its last setting (someone had chosen Classic Artwork, and it was showing Galvan's "Sunset Over the Pacific") and clears to reveal Leo P. Henry sitting at the pilot's station.

"Hey, Henry," Bruno calls out. "How's it look?"

[OOC: That reminds me, I think the main Crew IA and Passenger IA will each have names, but I figured I'd wait and let you guys name them. Any suggestions?]

[OOC: Also, anyone who wants their PC to have a custom IA that he/she prefers to interact with instead of the main Crew IA, you can name your own "special friend". :) )

ChaosBennett August 10th, 2013 12:45 AM

[OOC: Alfred and Jarvis.]

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosBennett (Post 448191)
[OOC: Alfred and Jarvis.]

[OOC: For the Crew and Passenger IAs? Those sound good to me. Any other suggestions, or approval by acclamation?]

[OOC: Do y'all (esp Captain and pilots, I guess) think that when you made your jump you would be aiming for the Gas Giant nearest to the mainworld, or aiming for the mainworld itself? Devonia is in the 4th occupied orbit of an F5 V star; there is an asteroid belt in the 5th orbit and a GG in the 6th orbit.

Devonia itself has open water, so you could most likely buy fuel at the starport or even set down somewhere and fill 'er up yourselves; Pop is only 2 million for the whole planet, which should leave plenty of wilderness beach areas unoccupied.

Heck, here is the basic world data; I will have more details for you tomorrow:

Devonia (Reavers' Deep 3125) C566674-8 Ag Ni 213
Size: 8000 km (5), Atmo: Standard, Hydro: 60%
Pop: 2 M, Balkanized, LL: 4, TL: 8
Star(s): F5 V M5 V, 12 Worlds, 1 Belts, 3 GGs
Independent, No Bases

Devonia is the 4th planet of an F5 main sequence star, and is somewhat hotter than standard, but still within human tolerance. Much of the planet is wilderness, as 75% of the planet's 2 million people live in a coastal metropolitan area around the starport, which is ruled by a charismatic oligarchy of wealthy families. The balkanized government rating refers to the other 25% of the planet's population, who have colonized various islands not too far from the starport city and live under a variety of different governments.

Fritz_Brown August 10th, 2013 01:09 AM

Donoma has posted a listing in the starport: "Master Navigator available for starship posting (other ratings, as well)". She is also keeping an eye on the arrivals, and hanging around the starport area when a new ship comes in. Always best to observe folks in person, see how they operate.

Donoma turned down the carnival offer. She didn't get a good feeling about the guy running the joint. But, she has been making ends meet - barely - with the courier service, and a couple of sailing jobs at the local harbour. (It might not pay much, but you can keep what you catch, and there's usually tips from the passengers when you help them land something, too.) She really wants back into space, though.

http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Gal...oma_sketch.jpg

sabredog August 10th, 2013 01:20 AM

Re: jumping to a gas giant first...I think that would be the best SOP for travel. We can gas up before hitting the world and try to stay topped up. Speaking of which: someone might want to check the buscreens before we skim..

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 01:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448199)
Re: jumping to a gas giant first...I think that would be the best SOP for travel. We can gas up before hitting the world and try to stay topped up. Speaking of which: someone might want to check the buscreens before we skim..

Bug-screens, as in filters on the scoops? Good idea, if it hasn't been done for awhile, plus it lets somebody go out and play EVA!

OK, I will work from assumption that y'all were aiming for the GG in 6th orbit.

sabredog August 10th, 2013 01:43 AM

I get on the intercom, "Who needs EVA time for thier certificate log? We need the scoops ptepped and checked for FOD soon as we're outta jump."

samuelvss August 10th, 2013 10:50 AM

Henry is a bit distracted, thinking about the card game he's missing. They could be playing Daibei Hold Me...

He registers the indicator, and announces, "Transitioning from jump space," and calls out the elapsed time.

He initiates contact with the starport, to confirm the information that their transponder should already be automatically broadcasting.

He checks how close they are to their destination GG, and check sensors for any traffic or anomalies.

"Alfred, patch me to the Captain." Gives Rhodes a report of their position, any traffic, anything else sensors have picked up, or a negative report on the last two.

Initiates the download of Library data from the starport, giving them a feed of everything from traffic reports, weather, news, updates of white and yellow pages, ads, and spacer bulletins. Oggles picture of Donoma whil no one is watching.

OOC: Sorry, but I've been unplugged.

atpollard August 10th, 2013 03:38 PM

Max Black (Engineer/Steward)

Max rises at 04:00, just like every day. Logs into the Engineering terminal to see if any red flags have been raised, just like every day. (A string of yellow cautions a mile long that will just have to wait a little longer and two new red warnings, bringing the total to five - all not critical systems so they, too, will need to wait a little longer, just like every day.) Max hates jump space ... 16 hour days dealing with the public plus his regular engineering duties. Of course he doesn't work all of those hours, but he needs to remain on-call in case someone needs something.

Today or tomorrow the ship will exit jump space and Max will be free to focus on Engineering and the Doc gets to deal with the passengers jump sickness complaints and medical screening.

Max perks up at the chance to play cards with some of the crew ... at least until time to start baking breakfast. The cards like him today ('there really is no substitute for luck' he thinks as he rakes in the pot of pretzels).

The lurch washes over him as the ship transitions from jump space. Max sighs.
"Deal me out" he says as it passes, "Time to deal with the public and check on the M Drives."

The drives are fine. By 06:30 trays of baked goods are ready to enter the oven, and by 07:00 the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls and muffins and bread fills the galley and commons, silently announcing that breakfast is now being served.

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448237)
OOC: Sorry, but I've been unplugged.

[OOC: No prob. I've been kinda sick this past week and not able to work on this game as much as planned.

We just started last night. (Right on schedule!!! :rolleyes: I had one day of slack already built into the schedule! :cool:) ]

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448237)
He initiates contact with the starport, to confirm the information that their transponder should already be automatically broadcasting.

The ship's position is 5.44 AU (45 light-minutes) from Devonia mainworld, so it takes about 95 minutes before you receive a reply by comm-laser:

"Roger, Fortunate Son, we have you on sensors and your transponder is green. Welcome to Devonia.

"We have no other system traffic to report at this time; please advise if you detect any other traffic. You are cleared for refueling by scooping from GG Whitney V, aka Peytonia. Our satellite monitor at the GG is reporting no unusual hazards; you can pull realtime data yourself by sending a ping with [code].

"Please advise when you have finished refueling and your intended destination after refueling. Devonia Control out."

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448237)
He checks how close they are to their destination GG, and check sensors for any traffic or anomalies.

It was a pretty good jump. There was apparently a small bounceback from the target GG, as the ship's transition is about 120 diameters out from it (32,640,000 km). Sensor show 6 moons around the GG, plus a light ring of debris in the innermost orbit. All in nice regular orbits, nothing to interfere w refueling.

No other traffic, no anomalies on sensors.

If you maneuver to the GG at 3-G, estimated trip time is 15 hours (allows for turnover at 60%, retaining some velocity for scooping maneuvers rather than simply going into orbit).

[OOC: EDIT: OK, I filled in the missing xx calculations. Feel free to check me if anyone is good at this stuff.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448237)
"Alfred, patch me to the Captain." Gives Rhodes a report of their position, any traffic, anything else sensors have picked up, or a negative report on the last two.

Initiates the download of Library data from the starport, giving them a feed of everything from traffic reports, weather, news, updates of white and yellow pages, ads, and spacer bulletins. Oggles picture of Donoma whil no one is watching.

There are several listings by spacers looking for work, or wannabes looking to go into space for the first time, but Donoma's is the only one that stands out with exceptional skill ratings that could help Fortunate Son.

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 448265)
by 07:00 the smell of fresh cinnamon rolls and muffins and bread fills the galley and commons, silently announcing that breakfast is now being served.

[OOC: Aw, now that's not fair, you got my mouth watering for baked goodies!

Did you see the latest ship docs? The final page lists some of the remaining problems w the ship, although I believe I noted that engineering is much improved since Max took over. Max and Doc might do some work on the robot repairs - that is a hobby for Doc. Not sure who else has applicable skills to help, as I haven't learned everybody's skills yet - need to make myself a reference page w that stuff.]

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 06:51 PM

Shortly after jump transition, Doc Freeman receives a call from Jarvis, the Passenger IA: "Doctor Freeman, I have a call for you from passenger Miklos Thanning, reporting jump sickness. My monitoring of life support systems suggests that passenger David Verchanski is also experiencing difficulty. Would you like to take the call, or shall I send the med-bay robot to dispense the usual remedies?"

sabredog August 10th, 2013 07:55 PM

OK, Hampton tells Max on the comms, "Prep us for scooping the GG and have Leo ready for EVA to make sure everything is clear before we do. Kalos, plot us a course for the scoop - you can advise traffic of our arrival time and course when we are finished."

Hampton gets his second best jumpsuit on and follows the smell of breakfast to its source. It looks like it might be a full day with sick passengers (God, I hope they didn't throw up in the room again.) and a scoop...

Once in the crew "lounge" I'll look over Donoma's sheet.

"Hmmm...she's easy on the eyes and sounds competent, that's always a good combination...waddy'all think?", he says to whoever is in the lounge with him.

sabredog August 10th, 2013 08:02 PM

I'm thinking this port might give us an opportunity to sit still for a few days and air out the ship.

Maybe we can get some long-overdue maintenance done on some of the systems? Max, waddya think? Any priorities that we can hopefully afford - those two things being mutually exclusive notwithstanding?

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448306)
OK, Hampton tells Max on the comms, "Prep us for scooping the GG and have Leo ready for EVA to make sure everything is clear before we do. Kalos, plot us a course for the scoop - you can advise traffic of our arrival time and course when we are finished."

[OOC: The scoop cleaning is a two-person job, or at least would go a lot easier with two - less chance of accidentally letting go of a big filter and having to chase it down.

[OOC: If you are sending Henry out as one of the scoop cleaners, one of the other pilots (you or Kalos) will need to take the Bridge - or was that what you meant in telling Kalos to plot the course? I believe Kalos is currently in the lounge with you, having breakfast.]

Quote:

Originally Posted by sabredog (Post 448306)
Once in the crew "lounge" I'll look over Donoma's sheet.

"Hmmm...she's easy on the eyes and sounds competent, that's always a good combination...waddy'all think?", he says to whoever is in the lounge with him.

Janna puts her hands on her hips and gives you an exasperated look. "You might at least pretend that her skills are more important than her appearance, you know."

sabredog August 10th, 2013 08:26 PM

Laughs at Janna's comment, "Yes, yes, but there's nothing wrong with having another pretty face to look at while in jump - besides mine." (dodges any food thrown at him)

"All right, everyone, when you are done eating, Kalos can take the bridge to get the course plots done and Max and I will go over maintenance schedules. Then it's EVA time before the scoop - who wants to go with Leo? Don't be shy."

ErianFrost August 10th, 2013 08:44 PM

Kalos snaps off a casual salute. "Aye aye, Captain." Snarfing the last of his bagel, he makes his way up to the bridge to relieve Henry and get to work.

SpaceBadger August 10th, 2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ErianFrost (Post 448317)
Kalos snaps off a casual salute. "Aye aye, Captain." Snarfing the last of his bagel, he makes his way up to the bridge to relieve Henry and get to work.

[OOC: Just FYI for everybody, you have to identify yourself (both hand and voice) at three separate places to get from Crew Commons to the Bridge: first at the iris valve climbing up, and then at two more iris valves on the passages to the Bridge. If you have gloves blocking the hand scan (like vaccsuit gloves) then you need to use voice plus a code on the keypad.

Not that I expect you to announce this stuff every time you go through a secure portal, just thinking you should know how your ship works in case it is important later on.]

DaveChase August 10th, 2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448297)
Shortly after jump transition, Doc Freeman receives a call from Jarvis, the Passenger IA: "Doctor Freeman, I have a call for you from passenger Miklos Thanning, reporting jump sickness. My monitoring of life support systems suggests that passenger David Verchanski is also experiencing difficulty. Would you like to take the call, or shall I send the med-bay robot to dispense the usual remedies?"

Though sound asleep, Jarvis's voice instantly stirs up Doc, mumbling a bit 'Say what, uh, who?'
Rubbing his eyes a bit then stretching, 'Nay, just tell them the basic things to do like breath in and out slowly and that I am on my way.'

Pulling on his orderly jump pants then top, Doc grabs the basic bag of medicine that he keeps on a peg near his quarters door and grabbing 4 vials of Jump sickness medicine from a supply box.

Doc then heads out the door toward the passenger section. As he gets to the passenger hatchway, he slowly picks up one of his feet and notices that he forgot to put on shoes. Shrugging a bit, he continues on through the hatch and toward the closest room of one passengers that Jarvis mentioned.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 12:01 AM

In the data-dump that Henry downloaded from Devonia starport, in addition to the Employment Wanted ads in which Donoma's listed was spotted and discussed, there are also adverts from a ship chandler and several brokers. The "Visitors Welcome" packet includes warnings to wear eye-protection against glare and UV when outdoors during the day, and to wear high-SPF lotion on any uncovered skin.

There is also this basic data on the Devonia planetary system; each major item can be selected by tapping or IA to drill down for more detailed information (for example, if you wanted to know more about the moons of Ashtonia).

Devonia System (Reavers' Deep 3125)
Primary Star: F5 V (Whitney)
0 - empty
1 - Whitney I, X420000-0, no moons
2 - Whitney II, X210000-0, no moons
3 - Whitney III, X300000-0, no moons
4 - Whitney IV (Devonia), C566674-8, 1 moon
5 - Asteroid Belt, X000000-0
6 - Whitney V (Peytonia), LGG(170), 1 ring, 6 moons
7 - Whitney VI, XBA7000-0, 2 moons
8 - Whitney VII (Jordania), LGG(180), 10 moons
---- Whitney VII-H (Pit), E502200-8
9 - Whitney VIII (Ashtonia), LGG(190), 7 moons
A - Whitney IX, XAA0000-0, 2 moons
B - Whitney X, X675000-0, 2 moons
C - Whitney XI, X400000-0, no moons
Distant Binary: M5 V (Glow), no planets


Devonia is currently about 90 degrees ahead of Peytonia in orbit, so distance is about 5.44 AU (814 million km), assuming you are going there after you finish refueling.

EDIT: I also went back and fixed numbers (instead of xx) in the post to Henry about sensor readings and distances, if anybody needs those numbers.

*

Fritz_Brown August 11th, 2013 12:29 AM

Donoma gets a signal on her data plate, indicating new ship data. She wakes, rubs the sleep from her eyes, pulls up the ship listing. She curses softly when she sees what appears to be a full crew.

"Well, it's still worth a look. I never thought I'd be here this long."

She checks for arrival time and sees it is still empty. She sets her system to alert her when the ship posts an arrival time. She stops and checks the initial notice and the subsequent "no current update" times, calculates the possibilities in her head and figures they must have popped out around Peytonia and will probably refuel there.

She goes back to sleep.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448326)
Pulling on his orderly jump pants then top, Doc grabs the basic bag of medicine that he keeps on a peg near his quarters door and grabbing 4 vials of Jump sickness medicine from a supply box.

Doc then heads out the door toward the passenger section. As he gets to the passenger hatchway, he slowly picks up one of his feet and notices that he forgot to put on shoes. Shrugging a bit, he continues on through the hatch and toward the closest room of one passengers that Jarvis mentioned.

As he passes through the iris valve into the passenger section, Doc immediately sees Miklos Thanning sitting sprawled in his pajamas on the carpet, leaning against the door of the Med Bay (former psgr stateroom 20). He has a suspiciously-bulging sickbag sitting in his lap, leaking slightly down the side.

"Oh, Doc, Doc, you gotta save me, I think I'm dying!" the greenish-pale man begs pitifully. "I have never been so sick in my life, and everything spins!"

samuelvss August 11th, 2013 12:49 AM

Henry, having made his report to the Captain, and giving Kalos a perfunctory brief (nothing to say but what's on the monitors), seeks out some quick breakfast and will then suit up for the EVA. Once he's done with the EVA, he will see if he can help with the Max's work on the drives, so they might start working on the nonfunctional maintenance bot.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448344)
Henry, having made his report to the Captain, and giving Kalos a perfunctory brief (nothing to say but what's on the monitors), seeks out some quick breakfast and will then suit up for the EVA.

[OOC: Might want to grab a helper if nobody volunteers - the filters are pretty large, so this works better as a two-person job.]

atpollard August 11th, 2013 01:18 AM

[OOC - Max has Vacc Suit skill if no one else is available, but I was thinking that Max might need to nurse the Purifiers and Pumps in engineering to keep them working.]

DaveChase August 11th, 2013 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448341)
As he passes through the iris valve into the passenger section, Doc immediately sees Miklos Thanning sitting sprawled in his pajamas on the carpet, leaning against the door of the Med Bay (former psgr stateroom 20). He has a suspiciously-bulging sickbag sitting in his lap, leaking slightly down the side.

"Oh, Doc, Doc, you gotta save me, I think I'm dying!" the greenish-pale man begs pitifully. "I have never been so sick in my life, and everything spins!"

With his chipper patient, bedside manner 'We can do that. I see you forgot to heed the space sickness warning about not eating heavily during the last day of a Jump.'

Placing his palm on the door entry, 'You may want to lean forward a bit or you might tumble.'

'Jarvis, please open the door for me.'


Once the door is open, Doc steps around Miklos and enters the Med Bay, placing his bag on the counter. He opens up a drawer and pulls out an empty sickness bag, then decides to pull out 2. Putting on gloves first, he then heads back to the door.

Carefully picking up Miklos full bag, he hands the other 2 to him. 'Use one of these if you need to then please make way into the doctor's lounge for stiff drink, a quick shot and boring story.'

'Jarvis, please inform the Steward that we have a mess in the center aisle.'


Doc then takes a few steps back in toward a refuse container, steps on the floor button and deposits the full bag into it.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 02:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448349)
'Jarvis, please inform the Steward that we have a mess in the center aisle.' [/color]

Jarvis can send a cleaning bot for that, kinda like a Roomba on steroids, has scrubbers as well as suction and can dispense cleaning chemicals and air-freshener.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448349)
'Jarvis, please open the door for me.' [/color]

Jarvis replies, "I'm sorry, Doc, I can't do that."

[OOC: Sorry, just couldn't resist the 2001 reference. I'm sure your character would know, so let's just assume that he said Alfred instead of Jarvis - Jarvis is the IA for passengers, and wouldn't have access to open the Med Bay or anything else secure. Alfred is the Crew IA.

[Actually, they should be programmed to hand off stuff like that, so if a Crew person accidentally asks Jarvis to do something that requires Crew authority, Jarvis would hand it off to Alfred.

[So never mind. Carry on. As you were.]

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 448348)
[OOC - Max has Vacc Suit skill if no one else is available, but I was thinking that Max might need to nurse the Purifiers and Pumps in engineering to keep them working.]

[OOC: I'm pretty sure both Kalos and Gayne have vaccsuit. Kalos now has the bridge, but I'll go ask Chris if he wants to have Gayne do the EVA.]


[EDIT: Correction, I will ask him tomorrow. Had not realized how late it is.]


*

ChaosBennett August 11th, 2013 09:27 PM

I get my vaccsuit on and head to the airlock.

SpaceBadger August 11th, 2013 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448349)
Carefully picking up Miklos full bag, he hands the other 2 to him. [color=blue] 'Use one of these if you need to then please make way into the doctor's lounge for stiff drink, a quick shot and boring story.'

Miklos struggles to his feet and staggers into the Med Bay, holding onto the doorframe as he goes. He heads for the closest seat and plops down. He stares down into the new sickbag as if carefully considering using it.

DaveChase August 11th, 2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448452)
Miklos struggles to his feet and staggers into the Med Bay, holding onto the doorframe as he goes. He heads for the closest seat and plops down. He stares down into the new sickbag as if carefully considering using it.

OOC, not sure what or how you handle space sickness stuff as I the player does not know, but Doc sure does. So,

Doc proceeds to talk of various things and while Miklos is concentrating on whether to use the bag or not, Doc fixes him right up.

Once done with Miklos, Doc gathers up his bag and helps Miklos up. 'Well, now that wasn't so bad, I recommend just taking it easy in your room for a while. If taking a hot shower normally makes you feel good, you might consider that.'

Doc walks with Miklos to his quarters and once he is inside the door, Doc then heads to passenger David Verchanski's quarters. Pressing the intercom button on the outside of the door, 'Hello, David, this Doc Freeman. I was wondering if you are doing ok, since we left Jump?'

samuelvss August 11th, 2013 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChaosBennett (Post 448442)
I get my vaccsuit on and head to the airlock.

"Thanks, Gayne."

Henry will meet Gayne in the airlock and head out to do the job, keeping coms with Gayne and the bridge so he is "in the loop" about any likely changes.

Henry will ask if they are headed to the starport after fueling.

[OOC: Chaos, does your guy go by "Gayne"?]

SpaceBadger August 12th, 2013 12:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448454)
OOC, not sure what or how you handle space sickness stuff as I the player does not know, but Doc sure does. So,

Doc proceeds to talk of various things and while Miklos is concentrating on whether to use the bag or not, Doc fixes him right up.

[OOC: I dunno either, I would guess a sublingual pill or injection, something like fast-acting Dramamine? It isn't an actual disease, so treat the symptoms, and they'll get over it? This is another one of those things that humans have been dealing with for a few thousand years at this point (if you include Vilani), so I'm sure they have some reliable remedies. I figure whatever Doc gave him worked!]

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448454)
Once done with Miklos, Doc gathers up his bag and helps Miklos up. 'Well, now that wasn't so bad, I recommend just taking it easy in your room for a while. If taking a hot shower normally makes you feel good, you might consider that.'

Miklos seems to immediately feel much better. He thanks Doc and agrees that a hot shower sounds like a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448454)
Doc walks with Miklos to his quarters and once he is inside the door, Doc then heads to passenger David Verchanski's quarters. Pressing the intercom button on the outside of the door, 'Hello, David, this Doc Freeman. I was wondering if you are doing ok, since we left Jump?'

Doc doesn't hear any response from inside, but Jarvis speaks and says, "Since he seems ill, I am taking the liberty of listening inside the stateroom. Mr. Verchanski is in his fresher, being sick, but is trying to call out to you to come help him. May I have your authority to unlock his door so that you may enter and assist him?"

SpaceBadger August 12th, 2013 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448461)
Henry will meet Gayne in the airlock and head out to do the job, keeping coms with Gayne and the bridge so he is "in the loop" about any likely changes.

Neither Henry nor Gayne has any trouble exiting the airlock and walking on the ship's exterior back to the portside scoop. The filter access opens easily, and with one man holding the filter out in the open and the other brushing accumulated debris off into space, the job goes quickly. The access panel is closed, and the job is half-finished.

DaveChase August 12th, 2013 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448462)
Doc doesn't hear any response from inside, but Jarvis speaks and says, "Since he seems ill, I am taking the liberty of listening inside the stateroom. Mr. Verchanski is in his fresher, being sick, but is trying to call out to you to come help him. May I have your authority to unlock his door so that you may enter and assist him?"

'Please do Jarvis.'

Acting like he heard David based on Jarvis's explanation, Doc pushes the intercom button again, 'I am on way David, hold tight.'

samuelvss August 12th, 2013 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceBadger (Post 448463)
The access panel is closed, and the job is half-finished.

Henry calls it into the bridge, and takes a good look around to see if there is anything about the ship's exterior of concern before calling in that they should move to the next side.

SpaceBadger August 12th, 2013 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by samuelvss (Post 448493)
Henry calls it into the bridge, and takes a good look around to see if there is anything about the ship's exterior of concern before calling in that they should move to the next side.

Exterior looks OK. Hard to tell if there any new dings or scratches among all of the old ones, but nothing that looks like it would damage the jump grid or be hazardous on atmosphere entry.

SpaceBadger August 12th, 2013 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveChase (Post 448471)
'Please do Jarvis.'

Acting like he heard David based on Jarvis's explanation, Doc pushes the intercom button again, 'I am on way David, hold tight.'

Doc finds David just staggering to his feet at the fresher entry, turning back toward Doc. He looks pretty wobbly on his feet, but not too messy.

"Sorry, Doc. Jump exit usually doesn't hit me like that, or I would have asked for a pill ahead of time." He wobbles to his bunk and sits down. "You have a pill or shot to fix me up, sir?"


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.