Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Adventurers (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=18)
-   -   Controversial Imaah “Chesty” Chehesti, General, Imperial Marines, Retired Today (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=22013)

Condottiere July 10th, 2016 02:21 AM

Parents could have been Shakespeare scholars and named her Titania.

Meteoric Assault July 10th, 2016 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 544324)
For those who do not know, Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller, was the most decorated Marine of World War 2, and managed to win 5 Navy Crosses without winning the Medal of Honor. His biography makes interesting reading. He retired as a Lieutenant General. I am not impressed with the play on words.

okay ...

aramis July 10th, 2016 04:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 544296)
Chesty is a bit of silly name for a woman, you may as well call her booby or some other derivation of mammary gland slang.

I've met someone named Booby. Young Thai lad. I've also met Phil Hallus (Фил Халус). Several boys named Sue, and a Lonny Wang. Not to mention over a dozen Chewbacca's in various spellings. And three girls named Princess. And Precious Dou (pronounced Dō). Her brother is Jonny. And Phuc Mi Vang. And A Phornsavant (the H is ignored, and the T silent) family.

Immigration can result in some really inappropriate names.

Chehesti is well within the realm of "Bad idea to not change it, but it's our name and we ARE keeping it."

Meteoric Assault July 10th, 2016 04:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 544331)
I've met someone named Booby. Young Thai lad. I've also met Phil Hallus (Фил Халус). Several boys named Sue, and a Lonny Wang. Not to mention over a dozen Chewbacca's in various spellings. And three girls named Princess. And Precious Dou (pronounced Dō). Her brother is Jonny. And Phuc Mi Vang. And A Phornsavant (the H is ignored, and the T silent) family.

Immigration can result in some really inappropriate names.

Chehesti is well within the realm of "Bad idea to not change it, but it's our name and we ARE keeping it."

Bravo!

kilemall July 10th, 2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 544295)
I had the "privilege" of commanding a mixed unit in the Army. Have you ever commanded a mixed unit?

No I have not but I am aware that a bunch of 20 year olds of mixed sex and healthy physiology, often in environments with little else to do, is a recipe for trouble, disruptive pregnancies, behaviors and mismatched priorities/loyalties, and a real command challenge.

Apparently an ongoing one in RL given current policies. Going forward, it will just have to get done, wise manpower policy or not.

In RL Chesty's exuberant behavior and those of her troops would likely be squashed and proper discipline maintained, even moreso to keep units functional and modelling behavior for an Imperium whose armed forces would be very polyglot with all the incredibly diverse societies that would make up the recruits.

So, if you absolutely must have deadly realistic force behavior in your games and literature, and in addition it's a real life irritant running across people who 'get it wrong', well this character isn't for you.

I'm thinking though that sometimes the rules bend or change for certain personalities with accomplishment, an interstellar organization that is a 'government of men' is more flexible to quirks to get the benefit of people with very different ways of doing things, and it's not impossible for such a story to occur.

Don't have to go much further then TE Lawrence, Wingate or Jack Churchill to find examples of eccentric behavior tolerated for a larger goal. Patton for an American example.

So, I think with that kind of mentality and governance, it's more a matter of the Emperor saying 'I can't spare this woman, she fights', and people having to accede to it.

So much for justification of the referee sort. From a game/entertainment perspective, she's just fun, and this thread is a highlight for me.

Your experience obviously varies.

I have had the experience in a different sort of game then Traveller having a 'subordinate' who wanted to achieve in game what he had tried to do his whole RL career and not achieved to his satisfaction- imposing a force doctrine so everyone fought as one under the same approach.

When it became clear that internet gamers are not professional soldiers you can order after all and I as the organization's CO wasn't going to undercut the larger mission of running the game for his agenda, this and some other issues about our approach caused him to quit.

It was too frustrating to revisit his professional frustrations in his entertainment and so he quit the position and the game, and to my knowledge is still out there canoeing and fishing (although it has been 12 years ago).

So I won't denigrate what is obviously a similar professional frustration seemingly revisited in a gaming forum you inhabit with 'clueless' civilians not rendering the service experience realistically.

I doubt very much there could be much persuasion or 'look at it this way' that would work with you, and I certainly am not going to seek to alter what you find displeasing or compelling material.

But just remember, the rest of us may have a very different approach and entertainment experience to how to run characters and the game.

kilemall July 10th, 2016 05:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 544331)
I've met someone named Booby. Young Thai lad. I've also met Phil Hallus (Фил Халус). Several boys named Sue, and a Lonny Wang. Not to mention over a dozen Chewbacca's in various spellings. And three girls named Princess. And Precious Dou (pronounced Dō). Her brother is Jonny. And Phuc Mi Vang. And A Phornsavant (the H is ignored, and the T silent) family.

Immigration can result in some really inappropriate names.

Chehesti is well within the realm of "Bad idea to not change it, but it's our name and we ARE keeping it."

A Chinese coworker's given name was Kock, once it was explained to him what that sounded like he went by Kelvin.

Condottiere July 10th, 2016 05:56 AM

It's okay to admit when you're Wong.

Meteoric Assault July 10th, 2016 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Condottiere (Post 544337)
It's okay to admit when you're Wong.

Let him know we won't make him eat his keyboard.

Hovtej July 10th, 2016 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timerover51 (Post 544295)
I had the "privilege" of commanding a mixed unit in the Army. Have you ever commanded a mixed unit?

Yes. Back in the mid-70s as a young AF Captain I was the Detachment Commander of an isolated satellite tracking site in the mountains about forty miles from the nearest base. The crew consisted of five AF personnel (one of whom was female), five civil service, and three contractors. The senior civil servant was a retired AF Chief Master Sergeant. Even at this early date, the mix was not considered unusual. (My wife was also AF.)

BTW, One of the civilian's nickname was "Rosie", short for his last name.

david.wendelken July 11th, 2016 12:28 AM

Gosh, some people don't like my sense of humor.

Okey-dokey. I hope all of them have a nice day anyway.

As for realism, do you think soldiers don't cuss? Because I have to tell you they sure as hell do. It's F'ing this, F'ing that. I'll count that word 5 to 10 times from just one person in just one conversation. It has no shock effect, it's like saying "uhhhh" every half-breath.

The difference is that most of them are not articulate about it.

Chehesti is articulate about her cussing. She cusses when she needs to "get shit done now!". She uses it like a surgeon's scalpel so people who need to know something get the point both intellectually, emotionally and quickly.

For an example, just before "The Battle of the Caves", Chehesti was told not to damage archaeologically valuable stuff while rescuing hostages. Her response, “Not to worry, sir! We won’t kill anyone who’s already <traditional Marine expression> dead," was extremely succinct. It meant, "That's the stupidest idea I've heard in a while, SIR, so I'm going rescue the hostages and be damned to the artifacts."

But she said it with true elan and thus the comment is very memorable, unlike my father, a US Army Captain who once told Gen. "Cider Joe" Stillwell that the general's orders to him were, and I quote, "That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard, sir." The general, after asking for and getting his explanation, agreed. Sometimes it's not what you say, it truly is how you say it. He did a fine job as an officer, but he stayed a captain.

Otherwise, she doesn't all that much. Her senate testimony is evidence of an ability to be extremely professional and civil under very trying circumstances.

History is full of truly capable military "characters". I suggest you read about the Filthy Thirteen (the real life paratroopers who inspired the Dirty Dozen) to see just how much talented soldiers can get away with. Patton drove leadership up the wall but he was tolerated because he got stuff done. T.E. Lawrence certainly had his oddities. Grant was described as a drunk to Lincoln. Lincoln suggested they find out what Grant drank and send a case to the rest of the generals. He could not spare Grant, Grant fought and won.

Chehesti got ahead on sheer merit helped along by extremely loyal soldiers in her command and a few lucky breaks that made her a popular heroine. She had difficulties because she wasn't from a noble background or even a middle class one. She was better than most of her fellow officers despite all their advantages and that caused problems for her. History is full of talented commoners forcing their way upwards into the ranks despite being held back by the nobles. Example: Pompey the Great. Thomas Becket.

Is Chehesti a bit over the top? Sure! So was Teddy Roosevelt! That man was an unstoppable dynamo of energy and determination.


I'm working on an extension to this material covering the Byret/Mora campaign in more detail. You'll be learning how Chehesti met a young Naval Intelligence officer by the name of Norris and how that worked out for both of them.

Meteoric Assault July 11th, 2016 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.wendelken (Post 544404)
Gosh, some people don't like my sense of humor.

Okey-dokey. I hope all of them have a nice day anyway.

As for realism, do you think soldiers don't cuss? Because I have to tell you they sure as hell do. It's F'ing this, F'ing that. I'll count that word 5 to 10 times from just one person in just one conversation. It has no shock effect, it's like saying "uhhhh" every half-breath.

The difference is that most of them are not articulate about it.

Chehesti is articulate about her cussing. She cusses when she needs to "get shit done now!". She uses it like a surgeon's scalpel so people who need to know something get the point both intellectually, emotionally and quickly.

For an example, just before "The Battle of the Caves", Chehesti was told not to damage archaeologically valuable stuff while rescuing hostages. Her response, “Not to worry, sir! We won’t kill anyone who’s already <traditional Marine expression> dead," was extremely succinct. It meant, "That's the stupidest idea I've heard in a while, SIR, so I'm going rescue the hostages and be damned to the artifacts."

But she said it with true elan and thus the comment is very memorable, unlike my father, a US Army Captain who once told Gen. "Cider Joe" Stillwell that the general's orders to him were, and I quote, "That's the stupidest idea I've ever heard, sir." The general, after asking for and getting his explanation, agreed. Sometimes it's not what you say, it truly is how you say it. He did a fine job as an officer, but he stayed a captain.

Otherwise, she doesn't all that much. Her senate testimony is evidence of an ability to be extremely professional and civil under very trying circumstances.

History is full of truly capable military "characters". I suggest you read about the Filthy Thirteen (the real life paratroopers who inspired the Dirty Dozen) to see just how much talented soldiers can get away with. Patton drove leadership up the wall but he was tolerated because he got stuff done. T.E. Lawrence certainly had his oddities. Grant was described as a drunk to Lincoln. Lincoln suggested they find out what Grant drank and send a case to the rest of the generals. He could not spare Grant, Grant fought and won.

Chehesti got ahead on sheer merit helped along by extremely loyal soldiers in her command and a few lucky breaks that made her a popular heroine. She had difficulties because she wasn't from a noble background or even a middle class one. She was better than most of her fellow officers despite all their advantages and that caused problems for her. History is full of talented commoners forcing their way upwards into the ranks despite being held back by the nobles. Example: Pompey the Great. Thomas Becket.

Is Chehesti a bit over the top? Sure! So was Teddy Roosevelt! That man was an unstoppable dynamo of energy and determination.


I'm working on an extension to this material covering the Byret/Mora campaign in more detail. You'll be learning how Chehesti met a young Naval Intelligence officer by the name of Norris and how that worked out for both of them.

LOl you are killing me.. its "Vinegar Joe", my grandfather was a marauder in Burma...

atpollard July 11th, 2016 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteoric Assault (Post 544406)
LOl you are killing me.. its "Vinegar Joe", my grandfather was a marauder in Burma...

"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

Meteoric Assault July 11th, 2016 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 544415)
"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

oops.. i was mistaken...

SanDragon July 11th, 2016 09:41 AM

Aww. No butterbar in 1904?

I like Chehesti and knew it was most likely an homage as well as an humorous interpretation put into the far future.

Now, about Sgt York...

atpollard July 11th, 2016 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meteoric Assault (Post 544417)
oops.. i was mistaken...

Don't feel bad.
My Google-Fu is strong ;)

I had not heard of either of them and now I got to read about both of them because of your comment.

So, Thank you.

JimMarn July 11th, 2016 10:56 AM

I figured she was a name take off on Chesty Puller and didn't worry about it. She sounds kinda like my mom in that she didn't put up with much.

Back when I was in high school she worked in a bar. Due to local regulations only beer was sold. Some guy came in and got very drunk. He declared he was going to climb over the bar and start punching the watresses.

By the time my mother got done with him, verbally, he not only backed down, he apologized, then turned himself over to the police. Who came in the bar and asked about it. One of the other patrons told the police the guy had messed with the wrong woman. Apparently one of the knew her, and took the very drunk guy to jail.

I think he came back about a month later, apologized again, and never came back.

flykiller July 11th, 2016 11:51 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOHPuY88Ry4

Condottiere July 11th, 2016 11:56 AM

Staff Sergeant Khashi Mouse Khurlushasun, Unified Army of Rhylanor, apparently has an impressive vocabulary of Vilani swear words and phrases.

JimMarn July 11th, 2016 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flykiller (Post 544438)

I heard that song the first time it came out on the radio.

My mother tried to sign up for the US Army when WW2 started, they turned her down. She told me after I was in the Navy that if a police officer hadn't been standing there, she would have decked the recruiter. She had been hunting rabbits and squirrels to feed the family before she started high school. She was a crack shot with a .22 rifle. She was just over 5 foot 5 inches tall, and never weighed more than 100 pounds.

david.wendelken July 11th, 2016 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atpollard (Post 544415)
"Vinegar Joe" was the father.
"Cider Joe" was his son.

Both Army Generals (not at the same time) ;)

Correct!

They called him "Cider Joe" because he wasn't quite as sour as his old man, "Vinegar Joe".

david.wendelken June 11th, 2019 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by david.wendelken (Post 462229)
I got a new patent of nobility card today for Imaah Chehesti.

Baronness of Byret/Mora in the Spinward Marches.

And on a related note, Marc Miller sent out a message to his Kickstarter backers that included this:

"For those of you that it affects, be thinking about your Free Trader name."

So, as Baroness of Byret/Mora, Imaah Chehesti set up a freighter to bring in things off the normal commercial schedule. That's because Byret is more agricultural so the most of the cargo ships only show up around harvest times.

I'll need a name for the first vessel in the fleet. I'm aiming for an Empress Marava class vessel. Somehow, it seemed appropriate for the Chehesti holdings...


https://d2folr83karyot.cloudfront.net/image/8287.jpg


I'm thinking about "Chehesti Hauler" or, dare I suggest, "The Chehesti Puller".

Any other suggestions?

MThompson016 June 15th, 2019 07:23 AM

M/V Chehesti's Puller is nice, but how about "M/V Victor of Gaugir" in reference to an accomplishment?

RandyB June 15th, 2019 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MThompson016 (Post 602893)
M/V Chehesti's Puller is nice, but how about "M/V Victor of Gaugir" in reference to an accomplishment?

Given the bibliography of the character as related in this thread, M/V Chehesti's Puller is the perfect fit.

david.wendelken June 24th, 2019 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandyB (Post 602895)
Given the bibliography of the character as related in this thread, M/V Chehesti's Puller is the perfect fit.

Yes, I think so too!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.