Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Agent of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=149)
-   -   Agent (may contain spoilers) (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=35528)

Matt123 December 22nd, 2015 07:38 PM

Agent (may contain spoilers)

There is some interesting stuff in this novel and we need a place to initially explore the various ideas without spoiling it for those that have yet to purchase the novel.

I enjoyed it. It is perhaps the first novel I have read in a while and well worth the late nights. I suspect it may not win book prizes, but it read well and as a Traveller enthusiast I am more than happy with it. The finish was very open ended.

It tied together nicely a couple of OTU historical arcs and has left several others open. It also provides the specifics for why a number of OTU worlds are red zoned and details nicely some of the more obscure risks to the survival of humanity. Off the top of my head, it details at least one natural disaster coming our way and several versions of what might be described at a meta level as 'infestations' (of course humanity could be described as an infestation as well, but we like this one).

Like any good addition to a story, it answered a few story arcs and left many more to be explored.

mike wightman December 22nd, 2015 07:57 PM

I received the email saying I could download it from drivethru a few hours ago.

Wow - just wow.

I loved it.

When is the sequel?

Makers are a real thing.

mike wightman December 22nd, 2015 07:59 PM

As to discussing it - yes we need a subforum just for that...

whartung December 22nd, 2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 525882)
As to discussing it - yes we need a subforum just for that...

If Agent is T5 based, why not just start threads there, maybe stick [Agent] in the title.

Matt123 December 23rd, 2015 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 525899)
If Agent is T5 based, why not just start threads there, maybe stick [Agent] in the title.

While perhaps using T5 stuff, Agent is applicable across the entire OTU from CT on. I doubt, for example, CT gamers can, or want to ignore it.

Having said that, I'm not yet sure what I think about wafer tech. On the face of it there are some wide ranging implications. For example do you need high end experience in anything when you can just hire low paid humans and rotate the personality through them. Does this fundamentally change the human experience? The Zhodani exchange free will for happiness and purpose. Does the Imperium exchange purpose and skill for mediocrity and opportunities to get ahead by voluntarily acting as a mindless host. Hmmm, does it need to be voluntary? Won't Imperial leadership eventually be supplanted by 'entities' or ghosts with centuries of experience and that never die. Lets face it, finding 12 fresh hosts a year is not a hardship for any medium to large size entity.

I'm sure this will have been thought through, but not in a non-T5 forum.

mike wightman December 23rd, 2015 04:23 AM

I'm fascinated by the reasons for the scrubbings. The one that sprung out and hit me the most was the AI that evolved and started taking over a planet...

it showed the Imperial prejudice against smart machines right there.

Then there were the robots from who knows where...

aramis December 23rd, 2015 04:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whartung (Post 525899)

Because it's not T5, but Marc's personal view of the OTU, not constrained by the rules.

Or, that's why I made it its own "other version of traveller" subforum.

Reban December 23rd, 2015 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 525881)
When is the sequel?

If you noticed the line "There were the standard five sets, three of each: Negotiator, Advisor, Warlord, Admiral, and Decider", then you might get the idea that there are four possible sequels or books in the "Agent" series.

On the other hand it took Marc forty odd years to write this one :devil:

Quint December 23rd, 2015 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 525915)
I'm fascinated by the reasons for the scrubbings. The one that sprung out and hit me the most was the Ai that evolved and started taking over a planet...

it showed the Imperial prejudice against smart machines right there.

Then there were the robots from who knows where...

Not to mention something seriously different from the "official" TL progression...

D.

maksimsmelchak December 23rd, 2015 02:46 PM

I still have not received the link for my copy...

Shalom,
Maksim-Smelchak.