Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   The Lone Star (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Traveller Movie (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=1697)

FGMP-15 May 23rd, 2001 12:36 AM

A few years ago I heard a rumour about a possible traveller movie and haven't heard anything since. Does anyone else know anything about this? Or was it just a rumour? It would be great to see a classical SF film as opposed to the product/trash formulas they churn out these days...

------------------
Nortius Maximus? Sorry Sir, I'm actually Cannonus Fodderus

DrSkull May 23rd, 2001 08:19 AM

Maybe Corey Soloman will do it.

------------------
Dave "Dr. Skull" Nelson

AndreaV May 23rd, 2001 08:27 AM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by DrSkull:
Maybe Corey Soloman will do it.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweetpea had the rights for a Traveller movie, but I think they lost them after the T4 debacle (and a collective sigh was breathed by Traveller fans everywhere).

Avery May 23rd, 2001 03:08 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Andrewmv:
Sweetpea had the rights for a Traveller movie.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sweetpea financed Imperium Games with the thought that by developing Traveller as a property and grooming it properly, it would become a movie after they did the D&D movie. The problem was that writing was rushed and incompletely co-ordinated with "me." Then, the economic down-turn in Asia forced the investors behind the project to stop putting money into it. Finally, they pulled the plug, and everything reverted to "me."

Maybe there will be a movie someday.

Marc

Christopher Jennings May 23rd, 2001 08:33 PM

First of all, I hope that Traveller never has to go through what happened to D&D as far as film treatment goes. I'd rather not see another disaster like that again. But if your looking for films that have the right flavore to be a "Traveller" type movie go out and find a film called "Outland" with Sean Connery. To me this film could have taken place anywhere in the Third Imperium.
Anybody else have any films to add to this list?

FGMP-15 May 23rd, 2001 10:11 PM

I want to say its great that Marc and the developers of T20 are reading this forum and listening to what long time traveller people have to say [which is more than can be said for others]. If the whole point of T20 is about getting maximum exposure for the traveller universe [or maybe it isn't] then I can't think of a better way than to have a movie - one way or the other. Yes, the D&D movie was complete tripe and hopefully if a traveller movie is eventually made it won't go the same way - be more a work of cinematic art as opposed to a shiny and soul-less product. We have had one movie example, there must be others interested in the actual visualisation of the traveller universe?

------------------
Nortius Maximus? Sorry Sir, I'm actually Cannonus Fodderus

Gallowglass May 24th, 2001 05:15 AM

RE Outland

Actually, I think you should have opened a sweepstake on how many times Outland HAS happened in the 3I (I reckon I've used it pretty much as is about three times), and that leads to the whole raft of Westerns that could be retro-fitted with Vacc-Suits and Snub pistols and fitted just about anywhere on the Imperial Fringes.

Which perhaps raises the question: SF/F movies these days are actually ACtion Movies which can't be bothere to be plausible about what happens. And that's what the movie going public pays to see (witness such SF disasters as Independence Day. Four beautifully shot explosions and a cheesy rip-off of War of the Worlds done on the back of a Match book). Would we _really_ want a Traveller movie done in that environement? I liked Outland but it has some real howlers scientifically and it's over twenty years old. Hollywood doesn't make those sorts of movies anymore...

MJD May 25th, 2001 07:01 PM

Courtney Solomon still owes me money.

But that axe aside... I'm very glad Traveller escaped his movie-making empire.

I pitched the TV series a couple of years back, without success. Movie and series ideas are still kicking around, and I won't be giving up. It'll happen.

Not if. When.

Skoo May 28th, 2001 10:56 PM

Hmm... I LIKE the idea of a TV series. If that ever happened, what would the presentation be like? Live action or anime-style?

Since Traveller is, in essence, a space opera, my vote would be for something anime-like... there are just some things that you can't do on a live-action TV budget properly (unless it's a *really* hot property). My only misgivings about that kind of choice is that animated series just too often get slotted into the "kiddie" section and not really taken seriously (who can forget that dreadfully done Battletech series... BARF!!). Granted, Babylon 5 went from nowhere to something big over 2 seasons, but it took 2 seasons to get there, and it required a written commitment by the studios to keep at if, even after the really slow first half of the first season (with bad/cheezy computer animated F/X - fortunately that got better by season 2). But that's just me...

As for a movie, I don't think anyone would EVER get the feel for Traveller right... Really, we don't even have to look that far back to see really, REALLY bad game-to-big-screen attempts (Wing Commander anyone...??).

OK, if MW could maintain full editorial/production control, that would be a different matter, but I don't think I've ever seen anyone who had their idea(s) translated to the silver screen not see their baby get hacked apart by script editors and writers whose only contact with the original material was in reading the one-page executive summary of a 350 page idea. They just aren't going to bother to spend the time reading/breathing/living Traveller. (Hey, the writer of that abortion "Pearl Harbor" even admitted to doing the research on that historic topic only AFTER finishing the initial script draft!).

Excuse me if I appear cynical, but that's just how I feel... Avery, hold onto your property tightly, and PLEASE don't sign away the film/theatrical/TV rights without having it clearly stated that you would uncategorically maintain the right to veto the producer/director/writer's approach to something that is near and dear to many long-time players... I think I can safely say that almost all of us would be mightily P.O.'ed if we ended up watching something that was as badly bastardized as the Wing Commander movie was to their source material.

Skoo

MT++ June 19th, 2001 11:36 PM

I work for an animation company and I did a pitch for Traveller (MJ Dougherty was basically in as a writer and Marc was online as well)

Unfortunately, due to a lack of cooperation (from Mr. Solomon of D&D movie fame) and vision (my company said, and I quote, "we are not sure a serious science fiction show would sell"), it appears not to be.

I got one step away from development. I have tried again since to no luck.

The rules I had discussed with MJD were straight forward
1. no cute kids
2. no cute robots
3. no *^&%*^ mechs
4. hard SF space opera
5. no today's lesson was...
6. overarcing story (ie. stories stand alone but together forma whole)

I am going to try again. A new presentation, I have one of the development committe interested but no promises