Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   TAS Opinion Polls (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Have you used music in Traveller gaming sessions? (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=35826)

77topaz February 24th, 2016 07:10 PM

Have you used music in Traveller gaming sessions?

Since data from the last poll was malfunctioning, here's a new one.

aramis February 24th, 2016 07:13 PM

Music interferes with my ability to understand players.

ovka February 24th, 2016 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 532740)

Music interferes with my players ability to understand me. :)

Cheers,

Baron Ovka

Condottiere February 24th, 2016 07:33 PM

Pulls out earplug, "What?"

Blue Ghost February 24th, 2016 08:28 PM

Only for the first hour to set the mood and get the players' psyched. I routinely played Raiders of the Lost Ark, rarely Star Wars, hardly ever anything else, though with my second group a crowd favorite was a TELARC Sci-fi DDD disk that had Superman, Alien, Battlestar Galactica, a couple of Star Wars' riffs, and a few others.

But yeah, when combat gets heavy or player-NPC interaction is at a premium, music distracts.

SanDragon February 24th, 2016 09:31 PM

Played AD&D with music!

Such as that one time we came out of a dungeon, climbed up the hill, and saw an entire orc army!!!

Nine hundred, plus leader types!

And Trouble by Lindsey Buckingham had just started playing.

:D

Enoki February 24th, 2016 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aramis (Post 532740)

Quote:

Music interferes with my players ability to understand me.

Cheers,

Baron Ovka
Hearing aids and alcohol... I can see how that could make for problems... :rofl: :rolleyes:

aramis February 24th, 2016 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoki (Post 532763)
Hearing aids and alcohol... I can see how that could make for problems... :rofl: :rolleyes:

I have a discrimination loss, not a sensitivity loss.

Highorbit_drifter February 25th, 2016 01:08 AM

Seems to me music would be a distraction. And make it harder to understand each other even without some form of hearing loss. That is, if its loud enough to be above just background noise.

And even if you managed to have your music cued up and ready to go, and easily got it going, getting anything resolved in the time it takes for that music to play is going to be impossible.

Maybe if you practiced a set speech before hand, and timed it to the music, you might get a good effect. But that seems like a lot of work for a chancy payoff.

Blue Ghost February 25th, 2016 01:15 AM

I know this poll is new, and it may be a bit early to conclude anything, but on other music threads people posted their favorite gaming tracks. Yet I'm reading that music is a distraction.