Citizens of the Imperium

Citizens of the Imperium (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/index.php)
-   Non-Traveller Gaming (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/forumdisplay.php?f=136)
-   -   Luke, If You Only Knew the Power of CharGen (http://www.travellerrpg.com/CotI/Discuss/showthread.php?t=38114)

Nathan Brazil August 18th, 2017 07:43 PM

Luke, If You Only Knew the Power of CharGen

What goes around comes around. I think it is appropriate for this specific forum. If not, move appropriately aramis.

So here is the story.

Paizo released the Starfinder PDF yesterday so all the 3PP stuff is getting released now. I am really, really, strapped for cash so I am reviewing/downloading all the free stuff before deciding on even buying the core PDF.
Expeditious Retreat Press came out Career Path Character Generation on Drivethru where according to the description says it has sufficiently random events where and I quote:
Quote:

...but sometimes you want something different—something random, something very random.

Like, “Holy Crap! I just died during character creation!” random.
So I read the preview and it's has :oo: MgT/Cepheus Chargen Tables but with Pathfinder Stats and Skills....:eek:
:eek: Tun Tun Tun :eek:

*in a voice distorting mask*
Pathfinder never told you real charater generation...
If You Only Knew the Power of CharGen...
Come to the Dark Side, Luke. Play Traveller with me and we will RPG together as Yaskodray and Son :rofl:

We need to make a new T-Shirt that says
My Characters Died in Character Generation...
Before It Was Cool
TRAVELLER
Science Fiction Adventure
in The Far Future

jcrocker August 18th, 2017 11:56 PM

I think that's the best laugh I've had today.

For that matter, you could just do the "Yaskodray and Son" shirts, but you'd have to be prepared for puzzled expressions.

mike wightman August 19th, 2017 05:26 AM

Has anyone got Starfinder yet and can give an unbiased review of it?

Nathan Brazil August 19th, 2017 06:11 AM

The preview of this supplement mentions you get initial "class" skills based on the "Trade Codes" of your homeworld like:

Quote:

High Population (Hp) Bluff , Culture, Diplomacy, Profession
High Technology (Ht) Computers, Engineering, Profession
Hot (H) Life Science, Profession, Survival
Industrial (I) Athletics, Bluff, Intimidate, Profession
Yea I think I'm gonna buy Starfinder. This book is only 26 pages so how the worlds are made or defined should be in the main rules. I am a sucker for world/system generation stuff. I will give some opinions in Non-Traveller in a few days.

And besides who doesn't think Imperial Marines vs mind flayers is cool?
IN SPACE!

robject August 19th, 2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike wightman (Post 572007)
Has anyone got Starfinder yet and can give an unbiased review of it?

I can't give an unbiased review of anything :/

aramis August 19th, 2017 01:59 PM

A casual skim of Char Gen reveals that it makes Star Wars look like hard sci-fi.

Looking in the equipment list, it makes 40K look like Hard Science.

Jeff M. Hopper August 20th, 2017 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nathan Brazil (Post 571966)
What goes around comes around. I think it is appropriate for this specific forum. If not, move appropriately aramis.

So here is the story.

Paizo released the Starfinder PDF yesterday so all the 3PP stuff is getting released now. I am really, really, strapped for cash so I am reviewing/downloading all the free stuff before deciding on even buying the core PDF.
Expeditious Retreat Press came out Career Path Character Generation on Drivethru where according to the description says it has sufficiently random events where and I quote:

So I read the preview and it's has :oo: MgT/Cepheus Chargen Tables but with Pathfinder Stats and Skills....:eek:
:eek: Tun Tun Tun :eek:

*in a voice distorting mask*
Pathfinder never told you real charater generation...
If You Only Knew the Power of CharGen...
Come to the Dark Side, Luke. Play Traveller with me and we will RPG together as Yaskodray and Son :rofl:

We need to make a new T-Shirt that says
My Characters Died in Character Generation...
Before It Was Cool
TRAVELLER
Science Fiction Adventure
in The Far Future

Amusing, but a far more d20 compatible character creation system complete with OGL/SRD support came out with T20 Traveller. That happened almost 6 years before MgT1e and 14 years before Cepheus Engine was even considered.

LiNeNoiSe August 20th, 2017 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper (Post 572090)
Amusing, but a far more d20 compatible character creation system complete with OGL/SRD support came out with T20 Traveller. That happened almost 6 years before MgT1e and 14 years before Cepheus Engine was even considered.

There was no SRD for T20.

Jeff M. Hopper August 20th, 2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LiNeNoiSe (Post 572095)
There was no SRD for T20.

Actually, there was. It was just the same one used for 3.0 D&D.

aramis August 21st, 2017 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff M. Hopper (Post 572097)
Actually, there was. It was just the same one used for 3.0 D&D.

Wrong, Jeff.

While it's built on the d20 SRD, there is a lot of open content added by hunter which is not in that SRD. One could make the correct SRD by stripping down the content...

For example, the Stamina/Lifeblood distinction is open content, but not in any SRD. (Starfinder uses Stamina/HitPoints, but not in the same way.)

There are several other bits, like the races. The descriptive text and the names are closed, but the racial package is open. Most of Character Gen is Open Content.

I don't know if SciFi20's SRD is done or not. If so, that serves dual purpose as T20 2E SRD.