Traveller Store CotI Features New Posts Mark Forums Read Register


Go Back TravellerRPG.com > Citizens of the Imperium > Travellogs > Blue Ghost's Blog

Blue Ghost's Blog Blog Tools Rating: Rate This Blog
Creation Date: March 1st, 2010 06:15 PM
Blue Ghost Blue Ghost is offline
Knight
rss2
Musings of a Knight of the Imperium.
Blog Info
Status: Public
Entries: 554
Comments: 153
Views: 108,933

In Moot Member Blogs Stripping away media Entry Tools Rate This Entry
  #513 New March 16th, 2019 10:48 AM
I'm kind of through writing about the skeletons or structural architecture of a lot of science fiction and just media in general. I'm way behind on a lot of writing that I need to finish off, and just stuff in general.

As per previous blog entries media, or rather media theory, is that we as a species learn by example. And so when we see other apes or primates like ourselves doing things, we tend to absorb that as a lesson of how we might or might not behave.

With that in mind, and more with major feature films, we get examples of behavior to mimic and to avoid. This was particularly true of films prior to the 1970s. As per this blog a lot of scifi is focused on psychopaths (character who are sociopaths perhaps 90%, while the other 10% are just psychopaths causing mayhem regardless of wherever and whoever they effect) and megalomaniacs. More mainstream media tends to deal with sort of everyday house hold "therapy" of family psychology. So, not only do you get TV shows about family, money, lawyers and what not, but how the characters in those shows mitigate or deal with situations that confront friends and family.

The reason for the rift was that the "smart audience" would gravitate towards things like Star Trek or Space 1999, and hopefully inspire them to pursue careers in medicine or law enforcement; i.e. the concept is to get the really smart types to join societal forces to outfox the really clever and smart malefactors with that same society.

With regular media it's more or less a case of giving audiences satisfaction that justice has been done in some form or another; lovers reunite after being separated, the guy or gal gets a second chance at their dream, that child gets their favorite thing back, that kind of stuff. Stuff that most ordinary people, like ourselves when we're not gallivanting in Marc Miller's creation, relate to or think of on some level.

And unlike science fiction or fantasy, regular mainstream media doesn't have to codify nor disguise bad situations or bad characters as monsters, aliens, nor some strange unknown phenomena. It's more or less a showing of the characters, their actions, and dialogue; ergo "a show".

Again, a lot of the philosophical reasons I'm at odds with it is because up until the last ten years media was under a social psychology oligarch. You had people deciding what got made and what didn't, not based on whether a concept was a good story or not, but whether it benefitted society under their criteria. And I've had a gut load of that.

As it turns out original Star Trek may have had a higher rating than the then broken Nielson model rating demonstrated. It's like Niel deGrasse Tyson stated, take an ordinary glass from your kitchen cabinet, go to the beach, scoop up some water, and declare "There're no whales in the ocean." Hold up the glass and say, "Here's my evidence." Ergo the Nielsen rating system said there was a low audience because of its ocean-glass like sampling. Oh well.

And it's been like that for TV since the mid to late 50s when psychology was really beginning to take hold. So, when I was a young film student studying under Jim Kitzes and Coppola, again, I still had the notion that you could go and create your own series if it was good enough. But the criteria isn't just technical competence and artistic appeal, but does it have societal benefit according to some criteria?

So, to me it's a kind of tyranny that benefits no one. Fortunately media is now more democratized, and we can see the ugliness of society so that people can act on it.

Thank goodness for the Japanese and their consumer electronics R&D to give us movie quality cameras that the ordinary Joe or Jane can purchase and play with, and show the world how not everyone gets along, but is tolerant of one another, and that in the meantime there are issues that effect everyone.

Prepare to Jump! One. Two. Three. JUMP!!!
Views: 27

This website and its contents are copyright ©2010- Far Future Enterprises. All rights reserved. Traveller is a registered trademark of Far Future Enterprises .
Powered by vBlogetin
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright (c) 2010-2013, Far Future Enterprises. All Rights Reserved.